Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foxkilo View Post
    Nice. How do you get the wood to stick to the coroplast? Do you use any other backup, e.g. cable tie the wood to the coroplast?

How about the little parts like servos and horns - you use hot glue? Would be great if you could post a close-up photo, esp the motor mount. I don't have much experience building with coroplast, simple things also must verify
    I know, hot melt are good stuff but I don't use them because they are heavy and quite messy...hard to control the flow.
    Instead I used the following:-

1) cp to cp or cp to wood binding. Sand the CP surface to make it rough, use cement glues yamato brand (I bought 1.00 buck at the general store).They stick very well.
    Some people uses flame flashing the CP surface to remove the oily residue before gluing. Unless you know the technique, its best to use other method.

2) For surface movement horns, I use mostly discarded PCB cut it into an inverted T shape or buy commercial horns.

3) Servos mount, either I use the EVO mugi method, Strong double sided tape with cable tie, servo tray method to hold the servos. sometimes double sided tape and strong duct tape to hold the servos.

You can go to this link...

It shows step by step how to built a SPAD. This SPAD has the wing specially folded to yield nearly symmetrical airfoil between the top and lower wing. Symmetrical chord wing are very good for aerobatic performance.

In addition its chord thickness is well tapered. This result in a very reasonably good wing airfoil design.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the tips on building.

I've used the flame flash method before. Results not very consistent, and need to be pretty fast else coroplast melts. Then used epoxy to bond - not good!
      ------------------------------
      Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
      NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Originally posted by foxkilo View Post
        Thanks for the tips on building.

I've used the flame flash method before. Results not very consistent, and need to be pretty fast else coroplast melts. Then used epoxy to bond - not good!
        Hi, It require some skill to use the flame flash method and ( ha ha ha ) don't forget the fire extinguishers....just kidding.

Use a medium rough sandpaper to sand the surface before gluing. Helps a lot to bind the coroplast.
        One more thing, the contact cement give out toxic vapor so do your gluing in a well ventilated area. I also use the contact cement to lock up the nut...very handy stuff.
        Epoxy glue heavy, expensive and messy... also don't bond very well with coroplast although some ppl use it.

The key to a good coroplast airfoil in the skill in bending the wing to get a good airfoil. Good airfoil reduce drag so your aircraft will fly faster at lower power consumption.

I am planning another coroplast aircraft probably a EDF jet
        more next time.

cheers

Comment

Fast Corrugated plastic RC Aircraft

Here is the video of the "pink Colored SPAD" made of corrugated plastic in action

D.I.Y. easy to built corrugated plastic delta wing profile plane. This radio control aircraft is a simple plastic aircraft(airfoil) design or abbrev. as S.P...

Best view at full screen as the video taken with a camera video at wide angle.

Enjoy the video.

P.S. The landing was bad but nothing happen to this Aircraft... not even a scratch. Corrugated plastic aircraft is just one tough cookie and lots of potential.

Cheers

Comment

Oops! I forgot to post the pink colored aircraft.

Cheers

Comment

coroplast EDF scratch built plane

Here is the video of the corroplast EDF version.
              Scratch build Spad (coroplast) radio control EDF jet . Powered by 6blade 55mm GWS . Brushless motor is tahmazo 3.7KV motors.Battery 1750 mah 3S 25C lipo. ES...

happy viewing

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon5 View Post
                Here is the video of the "pink Colored SPAD" made of corrugated plastic in action

D.I.Y. easy to built corrugated plastic delta wing profile plane. This radio control aircraft is a simple plastic aircraft(airfoil) design or abbrev. as S.P...

Best view at full screen as the video taken with a camera video at wide angle.

Enjoy the video.

P.S. The landing was bad but nothing happen to this Aircraft... not even a scratch. Corrugated plastic aircraft is just one tough cookie and lots of potential.

Cheers
                My second part video after the systems are further tweak.
                Scratch built Delta Tail-less design similar to the ME163 (comet) concept.After tweaking the systems, the plane flew very well. Very easy hand launch,capable...

Cheers

Comment

Here is another corrugated plastic aircraft.
                  Runs on 4S lipo.

Pusher Delta Jet made of corrugated plastic material.Runs on 2350mah 25C 4cells lipo . Wingspan is approx 34 inches.Propeller 4.5x4.1 APC.Good high speed due...

Plans to upgrade to a more efficient motor. The wingspan is approx 865mm or 34 inches. Its roomy and can pack quite some heavy motor. I have use from 100 to 140grams motor to test this C.P. aircraft
                  The smaller aircraft is only 24 inches wingspan.
                  Both are fun to fly.

Cheers

Comment

I have added rudder control to the mini interceptor SPAD .
                    Tight turn and knife edge is a possibility. This plane does not have a separate stabilser that can act as rudder turn during a knife edge turn, hence it take some practice to use the elevon mix control to get the knife turn right.

Here is the video link.

My mini interceptor SPAD Motor 35-36mm diameter brushless outrunner and weighs 115grams. Propeller 7-6 APC.Propeller speed 16490rpm at stationary position....

The first two flight was done without the rudder control added. The 3rd flight has the rudder control added. Unfortunately rain came and terminate the test pre-maturely.

Cheers

Comment

HERE ARE MY FAMILY OF TAILESS FLYING WING COROPLAST FLEET.
                      All Scratch build. Plan by experimentation.

Cheers and Happy Lunar New year.

Comment

so which one is your fav.
                        Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon5 View Post
                          HERE ARE MY FAMILY OF TAILESS FLYING WING COROPLAST FLEET.
                          All Scratch build. Plan by experimentation.

Cheers and Happy Lunar New year.

Hello b5, happy new year!

Generally I prefer my planes without all their innards hanging out but hey since they fly, you can proudly say that you 'designed' these planes.

Hey how about providing the measurements for them?
                          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

oh

Happy Lunar New year
                            Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

There's a young man that comes to the slope with a little coroplast flying wing "plank" he scratched up. It flies amazingly well, even in poor lift. Even inverted. Saw him bounce it off some trees, pick it up, check it out and then keep flying it.

-David-

Comment

Originally posted by Deedubya View Post
                                There's a young man that comes to the slope with a little coroplast flying wing "plank" he scratched up. It flies amazingly well, even in poor lift. Even inverted. Saw him bounce it off some trees, pick it up, check it out and then keep flying it.

-David-
                                Agree, if you know how to bend the coroplast material into a proper airfoil, it can do what you have described and maybe much more. The potential of this materials for RC aircraft applications is just amazing.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X