X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gEcky View Post
    vipper1990,

nice work your team has done!

Just curious, what's the purpose of this FYP? Was it to scratch design these planes and finally build it to show that the engineering maths and calculations work in real life?
    Thats right...what glendon said. For me ...truthfully...i'm still unsure of the purpose though , nevertheless, building all these giant planes is really a good experience, learnt alot of stuffs i would have never known. Its the experience that counts!

Now i'm only year2..., so , next year will be mine and glen's turn to do something more fantastic for our FYP!, all those i've learn this year can be use to carry forward next year to futher help improve my FYP project...definantly it is going to do something about planes..
    Build it
    Fly it
    Crash it
    Fix it

Comment

oh! i see shawn ashley edwards! glad to know u guys are doing well and its impressive work!

job well done!
      Kedi AH !

Comment

Viper,

Next year build light glider - not RC type.

Comment

Originally posted by MeePokMan View Post
          Viper,

Definitely lighter and smaller!, I'll probably go crazy if i accidentally crash a huge plane that weighs 11kg and all my 6months effort spent on it..., as you know..., no planes lasted more then 4months on my hands ,i lost all my planes due to glitches or stuck on tree. Unless i don't take em out to fly.

Anyway, u mentioned non Rc type? So if your meaning fully autonomous flight ?,yes i'm thinking of that snice i'm studying electrical engineering..., more towards the electrical side. This present FYP SKYBOX students are from aeronautical which is more towards the mechanical engineering side
          Build it
          Fly it
          Crash it
          Fix it

Comment

Originally posted by MeePokMan View Post
            Viper,

they will do it u know, but we to take off

salute SP guys.
            JR9XII PCM 72.xxx n XPS n FRSKY 2.4GHz

me is " Kancheong spider "

Comment

Im interested in knowing what are these planes for? I mean the purpose of the project. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mh3400 View Post
                they will do it u know, but we to take off

salute SP guys.
                sorry " where to take off ?"
                JR9XII PCM 72.xxx n XPS n FRSKY 2.4GHz

me is " Kancheong spider "

Comment

haha....non-RC type - meaning using on-board navigation computer with GPS, using sat-comms (Ku-band), using composite airframe etc. Won't that be the ultimate use of all the latest technology. I was involved in a UAV project (10 years ago) and we built a GCS (ground control station). Don't ask me with who.

But with the available off-the-shelf solutions available, it is quite doable to have a DIY system.

But better check with CAAS for clearance!

Comment

Hey Viper.

Great job,man, young man. Wish I had the chance to do something like that and succeed when I was your age. Ghost fit and the rest are just trying to help so that You would have more successful flights in the future. The secret is to be discreet and just fly-lah. Don't think too much. I like anything electric that flies...like my nick..Just plug&fly. Once again, great job you guys and fly safe and happy.

My wife doesn't like me to keep anything more than 2 metres though..
                    Go back in one piece to fly another day.
                    Having fun yet?
                    36.39mhz
                    40.77mhz

Comment

Hmm.... its funny how some of you respond to these students for showing you their project.

These guys are from poly. I am sure they have been lectured on safety and precautionery measures etc. Give them a break man!

All of you are flying at soome unknown flying fields anyway! So don't tell others not to do this and do that. They are senior students not primary school kids. If they get caught for any miadventure, I am sure it can be sorted out via proper channels.

For the record, the "joker" who crashed his jet is brave enough to own up pay up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zxyong View Post
                        Im interested in knowing what are these planes for? I mean the purpose of the project. Thank you.
                        I don't have a definite anwser for this...

I soppose the 2 teams have planned and reasoned out why they should go about building this 2 planes in the early months of 2008., I only came in and help during my june holidays and help them pilot the plane during november.

My own opinion will be... , the purpose is to prove that Singapore Poly students are capable of building massive rc planes that can fly!!! haha..
                        Or a better anwser would be: applying of what they have learnt during the 3 years studies in aeronatutical course

I'll go check with them the real purpose and get back to you asap.

Originally posted by plug&fly View Post
                        Ghost fit and the rest are just trying to help so that You would have more successful flights in the future. The secret is to be discreet and just fly-lah. Don't think too much.
                        Yep...i'm not thinking too much!! haha. Just looking through wad they said..., if they weren't caring about our safety, they wouldn't post here at all so i thank them for their concern .

Anyway the solution to your wife's disagreement is kinda simple..., You can even keep a 10meter wingspan plane at home, but make it such a way you can disassemble the wings into 5 equal parts , When ur at the field just assemble them back! haha...
                        Build it
                        Fly it
                        Crash it
                        Fix it

Comment

As we all have difficulties to store, transport model plane with large wing span. May be SP should look at feasibility of folding RC plane .

Ideally should could fold down to A2 size or smaller

Comment

I just saw the video! Nice work and landing!

But something that is quite unappealing to my eyes is to see that a guy avoiding the aircraft for hitting him after it touches down. Might want to look out for safety in woodlands.

It was nice to see the aircraft done its maiden flight in Woodlands but ill take Ghostfit consideration in mind as i agree with him.

Nice job again and congratulations to you all !

Danny.
                            Kedi AH !

Comment

Originally posted by viper1990 View Post
                              I don't have a definite anwser for this...

I soppose the 2 teams have planned and reasoned out why they should go about building this 2 planes in the early months of 2008., I only came in and help during my june holidays and help them pilot the plane during november.

My own opinion will be... , the purpose is to prove that Singapore Poly students are capable of building massive rc planes that can fly!!! haha..
                              Or a better anwser would be: applying of what they have learnt during the 3 years studies in aeronatutical course

I'll go check with them the real purpose and get back to you asap.
                              You see, applying what you have learnt is one thing, doing something that is of good purpose is another thing. I mean, if doing this is only to show people they can apply what they have learnt but the project have no practical use, then i think it defeats the purpose of this fyp thing.

Nevertheless, im still impressed by the great work by you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by zxyong View Post
                                You see, applying what you have learnt is one thing, doing something that is of good purpose is another thing. I mean, if doing this is only to show people they can apply what they have learnt but the project have no practical use, then i think it defeats the purpose of this fyp thing.

Nevertheless, im still impressed by the great work by you guys.
                                Don't really understand what talking. ....

Academic = to demonstrate what one knows, at the end. Also means to proof the truth of literal. This is why educations are so expensive.....

The thing is, without showing and allowing student to hand on the practical engineering aspect; then you will have "Book Engineers". We should encourage more such kind of practical work from Poly students. As for safety...... many talking ..... and talkings. Being an engineer myself, there is some thing call risk assessment in engineering studies. I am sure the lecturers in SP have taught them well. This project too will excercise their ability on risk assessment, procedure.. etc.

Up for SP who is doing a great job.

Comment

Working...
                                X