Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airsoft Tank Combat Doctrine

I have been testing my vstank in my living room for the past few weeks on firing runs and some other things and this is what I come to understand.. Combat with 1/24 scale tanks with airsoft is still possible.

1.Tested most effective firing range is at 5 metres (static) I have tried this at range of up to 6-7 metres but 5 metres seem to work best.The effect of the wind seem to have an impact on the accuracy as well (when I turn on my ceiling fan,there will be less rounds hitting the target broad).Will try longer range when I take it outdoor.

2.You can actually preload a round into the airsoft camber before firing it.This is good for quick reaction.

3.When hit,the tank will give a tack sound.Good to know when we have taken out an enemy tank.

But...not matter how we try..there will always a limit on the accuracy due to the size of the tank and the nature of the way how the ballistic works on the airsoft rounds.Note that the projectile involved here are round(Like canon balls ) and does not fit to the barrel so the trajectory will always be unpredictable.For that I think that the airsoft on the vstank works great.

The lack of an onboard firing control solution is also a problem,without it..we just have to make adjustments to the airsoft according to the fall of shots with our MKI eyeball haha..I was thinking maybe mouting a laser pointer somewhere to the barrel will provide us will some form of guidance and an onbroad wireless camera that can be linked to the notebook will also be good.

Any further discussion and feedback on this will be greatly appreciated

For VSTank, I think just getting the IR sets would be better. The Airsoft actually may leave little dings on the paintwork at a range of 5 meters.

Furthermore, the IR set has explosion sounds and lighting effect which adds to the fun.

I got a pair of IR VS Tank for battling and a leopard AS for live firing. This is the best combination I think.
    On Duty

DJI Phantom 2 with GoPro
    Dynam Hawker Tempest
    Alfa F4U Corsair

Comment

Bro,

You could get a really small cheapo laser pointer that they use on keychains and mount it in parallel to the barrel. The dot wont be where you hit, but it should be off by less than a 2/3cm, but consistent, which is more impt.

You could also switch it on and off remotely, although I am still looking into this. There should be some simple remote switching DIY circuits from somewhere.

Could also switch on driving lights too.

Anyone tried water proofing their tanks for water crossings?

Comment

i know nothing much about electronics but the laser pointer idea sounds pretty neat. you can probably connect the laser circuit to the BB firing circuit. so when you press shoot on your controller and the BB motor will be 'ON' and subsequently switching the laser circuit 'ON' at the same time. any electronics experts out there?

Comment

Actually..a few things that I am looking into now would be..

1.Waterproofing
          2.Fire Control
          3.Suspension system (But I dun know whether that is necessary)
          4.Alternative propulsion (Then again I dun know whether that is necessary)
          5.Alternative sound (Is tat possible in the first place? )

Comment

Bro Panzerlied,

If you have a 1/16 scale maybe can la.

How on earth you going to squeeze all that into the Vstank is really interesting.

That said, I did some internet reading on RF switches. Its not as easy as I have envisioned. However if you get the more advanced seperate channel remote controls on the RC cars etc etc you can hook up direct from the ESC.

The idea to use the bb gun wiring is a good one. All I THINK, stress think, is a DC to DC relay. When you activate the BB gun, it will activcate the relay which will run the laser pointer which is on a seperate current loop of its own.

BTW, me just went looking for the VS tank. A bit dissapointed with the controller design. Guess SGD 100+ does not buy much huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Boink
              Bro Panzerlied,

If you have a 1/16 scale maybe can la.

How on earth you going to squeeze all that into the Vstank is really interesting.

That said, I did some internet reading on RF switches. Its not as easy as I have envisioned. However if you get the more advanced seperate channel remote controls on the RC cars etc etc you can hook up direct from the ESC.

The idea to use the bb gun wiring is a good one. All I THINK, stress think, is a DC to DC relay. When you activate the BB gun, it will activcate the relay which will run the laser pointer which is on a seperate current loop of its own.

BTW, me just went looking for the VS tank. A bit dissapointed with the controller design. Guess SGD 100+ does not buy much huh?
              So does it mean we need to design a separate circuit for the laser? Hehe..me very new in RC so I'm not very sure whats wrong with controller design that made you disappointed..anyway in the first half of your post..you meant to activate the laser thru the controller instead of coupling it from the tank airsoft gun circuit right?

Comment

Read the thread with interest... But just a word of caution...

Lasers can be harmful to the eye... especially if one looks into the beam. When you play with laser mounted tanks, you not only have to think about yourselves being the tank commanders, you have to worry about the spectators as well... many of these would be kids who are shorter in height, and hence... their eyes would be 'closer to the ground' where the lasers are supposed to be firing at the target.

Do be careful please when playing with lasers.

Comment

Originally posted by Panzerlied
                  So does it mean we need to design a separate circuit for the laser? Hehe..me very new in RC so I'm not very sure whats wrong with controller design that made you disappointed..anyway in the first half of your post..you meant to activate the laser thru the controller instead of coupling it from the tank airsoft gun circuit right?
                  yes, i think that's what he meant. a separate laser circuit independent to the BB circuit would be more complicated since you'll have to play around with your controller as well.

Comment

Yeah bros,

Original idea was a seperate circuit.

I think its easier to just use the gun electric to run some DC relay and have the laser on the other pair of the relay. which was the suggestiong made bu some bro up there.

Sounds interesting.

About the controller? No lar, I just saw the thing for the first time of my life at Fast east. Was priced SGD200 I think or so. Thats all.

Have fun this weekend. Me out of Singapore, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Boink
                      Yeah bros,

Original idea was a seperate circuit.

I think its easier to just use the gun electric to run some DC relay and have the laser on the other pair of the relay. which was the suggestiong made bu some bro up there.

Sounds interesting.

About the controller? No lar, I just saw the thing for the first time of my life at Fast east. Was priced SGD200 I think or so. Thats all.

Have fun this weekend. Me out of Singapore, unfortunately.
                      Erm..is it possible to do without a relay?

I think some fellows in the states couple it directly to the tank circuit..which part tat I'm not sure

Comment

but, airsoft cant determin who are the winning group...
                        some pple are jus so lousy to be mod~~~ TELD

Comment

Wow interesting to make some laser sight. The bb's should be quite fun to shoot at another tank. Maybe can even try to get some paint ball type bb will be more fun. Henglong tanks are great as they are cheap and can do any mod you want. I am looking at the Henglong King Tiger when it comes out and maybe get another T34. It should be real fun to shoot at each other

Do post updates on your mod ya.

Comment

Thought I saw someone post about some Bio BB bullets, maybe can get those and do battle would be real fun.

Anyone got the sturmtiger by matorro, my favorite tank.

Comment

Working...
                            X