Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lead screw etc ??

Hi guys,

I have been browsing this forum and cnczone for 2-3 weeks. Now i have some questions, sorry if it is noob or answer can be easily found.

I know ball screw is some kind of long threaded rod. So is lead screw? What are the differences? Which do u recommend for first time builder on a budget? Where do u guys usually get them?

thanks

RCCar

ball screws have a raceway for ball bearings, less friction.
    lead screw just use the thread.

lead screw cheaper, good start.

other option can consider using belt, like what you see in printer or scanner.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
    Robotis Bioloid
    Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

hi thanks pilot_bear for the reply.

Some questions, any good place to recommend in getting lead screws at reasonable price? Anyway what should i look out for when looking for lead screws? What is the reasonable price range? 1st hand or 2nd hand? Just for beginner, to try and play with.

thanks,
      RCCar

Comment

for 2nd hand ones you can try kaisin at the top floor of SLT. they sell scrap machine parts.

for new ones you can get the seller from ebay that wongster bought his ballscrews from. i think his price is ok for china made ones.

like what pilot says ballscrews there will be ball bearings running inside so there's no or little backlash problem.

for leadscrew the nut runs thru the thread. So you will definitely get some backlash in it.

Comment

Go to ebay and search under Store "linearmotionbearings".

Don't be intimidated by the prices you see there. Drop the seller a message to ask for best price for your required length and quantity. If you look carefully, those high prices on ballscrews are for longer ones.

Get the rails locally. BL4 (look a few posts back if admin has not deleted his post) sells rails at quite a good price. The china one cannot make it.

Comment

Working...
          X