Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balsa Weasel

After meddling with foam indoor electric Weasels for years with my students, I finally pull myself to start building a balsa version of a mid-size Weasels, that I redesigned last year.

For those who doesn't know, the original Weasel EPP glider kit came in 2 sizes. The bigger version has the same size of the current moulded EVO version and the smaller one has only 24" wingspan. My version strikes in the middle of 28".

There's no special reason to build one from balsa, except for the looks and structural rigidity. I still like the looks of traditional built-up wings, especially after getting hold of a Mini Elf DLG.

At this point, all balsa structures are done, awaiting coverings and servo installations. Eventually, this model is going to be an one-piece plane. The wings have carbon spars and the rest are balsa. The 2 wings are built separately and joined by epoxy and glasscloth. The elevons are planed down to taper from 3/16" balsa sheet with multiple lightening holes cut.

The fuselage is just a usual box type structure with a hatch provision on the belly. I also epoxied a piece of plywood behind the hatch for tow hook mounting, in anticipation of possible high-start launches. The vertical fin is from 1/8" balsa with grain running vertical. To minimise warping and splitting, I glued a strip of carbon at the bottom edge and glassed the forward area.

Attached Files

Way to go , Joe !!!

Subscribed
    Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Done up with the coverings and the fuselage is permanently epoxied onto the underside of the wings. The control horns are fashioned from thin carbon sheets and epoxied directly into the balsa elevons after rigging.

This model will be used as a check out slope soarer on light lifts and small slopes. As such, it is not intended to be flown cross-country and an indoor Orange receiver is sufficient for this job.

Attached Files

Comment

The receiver battery pack is made from soldering 2 Lithium Camera battery cells in series.

Attached Files

Comment

I bought some Melamine sponge from Daiso which are pretty cool stuff! The sponge is very easy to be cut with a penknife and a sharpened brass tube, which I used to make a customised shock mount for the receiver battery. The whole stuff fit snuggly and neatly in the nose of the fuselage.

Attached Files

Comment

The model is now ready to fly at 136 gram, including a 5 gram nose ballast.

Attached Files

Comment

Joe, how many hours can you get out of this flight pack?
              Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

• Beko Rabello
                Beko Rabello commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, i new in the group
                I frin Brasil im a slope flyer....
                I love to fly whit Weasels....do you have the plans of this
                Can do you send me? How much?
                Tnks

• Beko Rabello
                Beko Rabello commented
                Editing a comment
                I have videos on youtube
                Like this:

I don't really know, but I get plenty of flight hours with this setup on my mini DLG. I didn't really monitor, but I check the voltage from time to time. I usually replace them after 2 months of on and off flyings.

Comment

Hmm...wind over Bedok slope is not favorable now. Where will you be flying this? East coast? Let me know when, maybe I can join in.

Comment

Yes, I plan to go down to East Coast this weekend, subject to weather and wind conditions.

Comment

I was there yesterday , ecp was packed to the brim with pple .

Comment

Do you have the plans of this weasel?
                      Realy winderfull

Comment

Working...
                      X