Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Slingsby Swallow

After watching the James May's Toy stories, I was inspired to build my own scale Slingsby T45 Swallow. However, due to the time constraints and work commitments, I decided to go for a sub 1 metre version. I thought that it would be a nice little floater to be flown off from Sedili's resort slope in the mild morning breeze, like the old Tiny semi-scale TG-3 I designed and built many years ago.

West Wing offers a balsa Free-flight Swallow kit, which can be converted to R/C. However, finding a vendor is a problem and shipping from UK can take the entire slope season for it to arrive. So, I looked from some 3 view drawings from the internet and started designing one for myself.

From past experience, scaling down the wing in proportion is not a good idea, in terms of aerodynamics. So, I broadened the wing tip chord and enlarged the stabilizer to compensate for the increase in wing area. A flat-bottomed airfoil with moderate thickness is chosen to avoid complicated numbers and construction. The controls are only limited to rudder and elevator to save effort, which in turn requires a distinct amount of dihedral to make the rudder effective for rolling.

The entire airframe is made up of balsa, with a little plywood here and there. I use 2 ~3gram servos for indoor model and a nano Orange RX and a pack of 2 photo-lithium cells battery. I used Oracover lite transparent white covering throughout to keep the weight down and All-up-weight is about 105 grams.

The model was maidened at Sedili last Sunday in moderately strong winds with a solid blue foam canopy, which the model handles pretty well. Only last night, I have replaced the canopy with a clear moulded PVC one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	988860Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	988861Click image for larger version

Name:	d.jpg
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	988862

That's a real nice one man. After watching James May's Toy Stories, I too wanted something scale and classic looking.

Cheers,
    Adnan
    Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
    ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
    Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Swallow

Hi Joe

May I know where did you get the 3-view image for this glider? Thanks!
      Plane:
      - UM Sparrowhawk
      - UM J-3 V.3
      - UM PT-19
      - UM Spacewalker
      - UM Porter
      - UM Extra-300

Comment

wow looks good joe

coverlite white covering?
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

I found a grainy 3-view drawings of the fullsize swallow from google search. I imported the image to cad program and trace the outlines, before drawing my own plans.

No, this is Oracover light transparent white.

Comment

Thanks Joe, I think I have done the same, the 3-view photo has very low resolution.
            Plane:
            - UM Sparrowhawk
            - UM J-3 V.3
            - UM PT-19
            - UM Spacewalker
            - UM Porter
            - UM Extra-300

Comment

Working...
            X