X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, for those interested, same pix from the previous thread:

I can haz diving?

Comment

2 line stunt kites are kites with 2 control lines which are more focused on stunts and aerial tricks. They are usually deltas.

Traction/power kites are more focused on pulling power.They can come in 2 lines and 4 lines (2 main lines and 2 break lines). Most of these kites are sparless foils.

As to which one you want, why not join us and see for yourself. Some prefer to start big while some (like me) work their way up.
      For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Interesting man..... I have a 2 line stunt kite passed down from my cousin. Dunno what brand(he bought it in Australia), but it has a carbon frame. I broke one of the spars after a hard head-on......
        Losers whine about their best. Winners date the Prom Queen.

Most people talk a lot, only few are up for the moment.

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
        20,000 times a min

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Armour
          2 line stunt kites are kites with 2 control lines which are more focused on stunts and aerial tricks. They are usually deltas.

Traction/power kites are more focused on pulling power.They can come in 2 lines and 4 lines (2 main lines and 2 break lines). Most of these kites are sparless foils.

As to which one you want, why not join us and see for yourself. Some prefer to start big while some (like me) work their way up.
          How much are the kites? It seems that most of them are sold in UK and are in pounds!!! Very ex......
          I would like to have something to exercise on during weekends/days... At least can train abit and keep alive!

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
          20,000 times a min

Comment

Originally posted by nightbreed
            Oh, mathsinstrument, later tonight I will post some links for your info. Where do you live? If convenient for you to go Punggol Beach, I can let you try my dual line and quad line. You'll be able to pick up the sport in 5 minutes or less. I guarantee. I'm usually there weekdays after 5.
            Ponggol beach? Where is it? I'll try... I live in the east.
            Are there restriction to play? Or just need a big field that has wind can liao?

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
            20,000 times a min

Comment

Ok, wait...you referring to what kites? Stunt or power/traction kites? Stunt kites usually have carbon spars for their frame. Mainly used for stunts (d-uh) and tricks...to me, it requires a lot more skill and concentration to fly these. Much faster than most power/traction kites. They can be 2 feet to 8 feet across. The bigger ones can develop quite a pull in strong winds I'm told. To get an idea how much these things cost, surf these (somewhat cheaper) websites:

www.bilboquet.com (French site)
              www.gwtw-kites.com (American site)
              www.mistralkites.com (UK site)

If you want a work out, get a 3.5m (or bigger) traction kite. Unless you are already fit and strong, I can pretty much assure you you'll get the exercise you looking for.

Heheh. And this is just all talk. Come down with us, get some hands-on...and get hooked.

More pix:

1. Prior to Launch
              2. Setting up lines
              3. Powered up
              4. Pulling back to counter kite's pull
              5. Pulling back even more

I can haz diving?

Comment

More pix:

1. Pulling across wind window
                2. Reverse launching
                3. What I see

I can haz diving?

Comment

Hmm. I think I might experiment with shortening my brake lines. As it is, I'm really having to push my handles too far forward to get any effect. And that may be what's contributing to my muscle strain...

As you can see from the last pic of the last post, my brake lines are pretty slack. I hope it doesn't get too twitchy or affect the kite's stability after fiddling with it.

Hmm...and also, I think I will go kiting today...
                  I can haz diving?

Comment

What's the difference between a traction kite and a power kite?
                    Do you require a lot of wind to bring it up? I see that it is very portable, so i am thinking of beaches and places of such to play.
                    As you know, RC planes and heli are weekends only(as i dun have a transport) for me currently, so wanna get this as my workout on weekdays....

Ever since my 2 line stunt kite went down, i laid back..... Wanna enjoy and work out!

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
                    20,000 times a min

Comment

Originally posted by mathsinstrument
                      Interesting man..... I have a 2 line stunt kite passed down from my cousin. Dunno what brand(he bought it in Australia), but it has a carbon frame. I broke one of the spars after a hard head-on......
                      LHS should have some replacement spars.
                      For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Originally posted by mathsinstrument
                        How much are the kites? It seems that most of them are sold in UK and are in pounds!!! Very ex......
                        I would like to have something to exercise on during weekends/days... At least can train abit and keep alive!
                        Depends on what are you looking for. If you give us some idea, perhaps we can help.

After surfing many sites, it would seem to me that power/traction kites are more popular in UK while stunt kites are pupular in the States.

And stuffs in Europe are much more ex!

Comment

Originally posted by nightbreed
                          More pix:

1. Pulling across wind window
                          2. Reverse launching
                          3. What I see
                          Great pics man! Hmmmm...I'll need you to teach me reverse launching.

Comment

I am interested in traction kites i believe. Because i think that those kites with mountain boards are damn cool. Hahaa..... I dun think will be able to do that in singapore.
                            After reading so much, traction kites provides the most lifting power.... So i think traction kites are the way to go for me.

Most sites recommends to start off with dual line kites before moving on to quad lines one. Is this true? Or quad lined kites just take a bit more patience to control?

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
                            20,000 times a min

Comment

They have some pretty cheap kites going at arnd 60 USD.

Powerfoil 3.0 looks good to me....

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
                              20,000 times a min

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Armour
                                Great pics man! Hmmmm...I'll need you to teach me reverse launching.
                                No prob. (Wah, like I pro like that.) But reverse launching at window edge is difficult.

I'm thinking, if the kite can drag you along, then it's possible to landboard...but problem is that there's not enough space to do it...S'pore got no wide open spaces to do this.

As yeow_hwee will testify, you can start with quad lines straight away. You just have more to learn. Then when u want to try dual line, you'll find it's no problem. The Powerfoil u r looking at is a dual line traction kite with a control bar. We've never used a control bar before, so can't tell you what it's like.

As with most things, buy the best you can afford. You can ask MA about the comparison of quality between an Ozone kite and a Peter Lynn kite...(Don't get me wrong, Peter Lynn makes good kites...but MA is quite impressed with Ozone qlty, so can ask him abt the comparison). A 4.5m Ozone Fury is about SG500 whereas a 4.5m Peter Lynn Pepper is abt SG320. So, you gotta match price and qlty and your wallet size.
                                I can haz diving?

Comment

Working...
                                X