• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any good GPS device to recommend?

I'm looking for a good GPS.
    今天不努力工作,明天努力找工做。
    不在乎天长地久,只在乎曾经拥有。
    长痛不如短痛,短痛不如不痛。
    Too much $$$ fly fly fly, Little $$$ less fly, No $$$ see people fly, Save $$$ buy and fly.
    If you take care of your heli, your heli will take care of your pocket.
    Be gentle with your heli so that your heli will be gentle with your pocket.
    Alees Rush 750 (FBL)12s
    Outrage Fusion 50 (FBL)12's
    Outrage 550 (FB)6's
    Outrage G5 (FBL)6's
    Compass Model Warp 360 (FBL)6's
    Trex 500 (FB)6's

Originally posted by Radio man View Post
    I'm looking for a good GPS.
    Garmin. I got it coz everyone recommends it!

Comment

Wat u want to use it for???

For r/c, hiking, automotive or fishing???

For r/c : Eagletree or Garmin Forerunner/Foretrek

For hiking : Garmin etrek

For automotive : Garmin Nuvi

For Fishing : Garmin GPSMap/Fishfinder

Take ur pick.

Comment

So far I am using the Holux62, gone for a firmware upgrade - comes with maps for Malaysia. Used it to drive up to Port Dickson - 1st time ever for a 1st timer driving up to Malaysia - no problems.

Originally posted by Adrianli View Post
        Wat u want to use it for???

For r/c, hiking, automotive or fishing???

For r/c : Eagletree or Garmin Forerunner/Foretrek

For hiking : Garmin etrek

For automotive : Garmin Nuvi

For Fishing : Garmin GPSMap/Fishfinder

Take ur pick.

Comment

There is no good GPS navigator. All got pros and cons.

Do be careful when buying garmin. Some shops package with the original garmin map, some package with 3rd party. AVIOD the original garmin local map, i.e. those local sets. The local distro set has lane assist and junction view,but the POIs really cannot make it. Imported sets with 3rd party maps usually have a lot more POIs and is the same one year warranty, just go back to different agent. Please do you research when buying garmin. Even locally, we have got a lot of different versions for the same model and prices and map reliability differ.

New holux 62 is using the papago software. It is actually quite good when compared to the old mapking software, but it was like a rushed release during the recent pc show, so still need a bit of fix.

sigpic

Comment

Beside Garmin. Any other reliable brand of GPS device?

Anybody using the GPS device which Beam distributor (Hamman International) is selling. I'm wondering is it good?
            今天不努力工作,明天努力找工做。
            不在乎天长地久,只在乎曾经拥有。
            长痛不如短痛,短痛不如不痛。
            Too much $$$ fly fly fly, Little $$$ less fly, No $$$ see people fly, Save $$$ buy and fly.
            Alees Rush 750 (FBL)12s
            Outrage 550 (FB)6's
            Outrage G5 (FBL)6's
            Trex 500 (FB)6's

Comment

Originally posted by cdckjn View Post
              So far I am using the Holux62, gone for a firmware upgrade - comes with maps for Malaysia. Used it to drive up to Port Dickson - 1st time ever for a 1st timer driving up to Malaysia - no problems.
              I'm using a Holux GPSmiles61, Pretty happy with it so dun feel the need to upgrade firmware, maybe just the maps.
              Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Recently there were changes to the satellite and these caused some gps not to lock onto positions.
                Upgrade of firmware was necessary for Holux 62 and Shinco devices.

I have a garmin 205u. Works quite well. If you have the same device, the older firmware will allow you to upgrade to junction view. Once you upgraded the firmware, you will not be able to do so.

Bought a shinco recently, returned it within a week.

The Holux62 that is using the papago software will have this junction view.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit View Post
                  I'm using a Holux GPSmiles61, Pretty happy with it so dun feel the need to upgrade firmware, maybe just the maps.
                  Holux GPSmiles 62 Pro for me as I like the 5" display so far so good. GPS fixed is fast within 3 mins sometime even below 1 min. Prefer the SLA maps than MFM because there is no postal code search when using MFM maps.
                  Align TREX 600 N Pro With Skookum 720
                  Align TREX 500 With TT GT5 FB
                  HK 600 GT With EC 145 Fuselage Flying On Turnigy VBar 600
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gilera180 View Post
                    Holux GPSmiles 62 Pro for me as I like the 5" display so far so good. GPS fixed is fast within 3 mins sometime even below 1 min. Prefer the SLA maps than MFM because there is no postal code search when using MFM maps.
                    I am using MFM on my Garmin Nuvi 200 and it does have postal code search.

I can double, triple confirm it does. I am using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli View Post
                      I am using MFM on my Garmin Nuvi 200 and it does have postal code search.

I can double, triple confirm it does. I am using it.
                      Mine is running on customize Papago x2 software for Eastgear, so currently no postal code search on MFM maps yet.
                      Align TREX 600 N Pro With Skookum 720
                      Align TREX 500 With TT GT5 FB
                      HK 600 GT With EC 145 Fuselage Flying On Turnigy VBar 600
                      sigpic

Comment

My Garmin Nuvi is already 2yrs+.......................still can use latest malsin and MFM maps. Also got postal code search.

Garmin I used it in HK and Taiwan also. I also d/l Thailand map in anticipation to drive there.

I went over to Eastgear to check their Papago at PC Show, 1st question I ask, can use in other countries other than SG n MY??? He said NO.

Comment

Since so many people say that Garmin is good then I will go for it. But there's so many model which one shall I buy?
                          今天不努力工作,明天努力找工做。
                          不在乎天长地久,只在乎曾经拥有。
                          长痛不如短痛,短痛不如不痛。
                          Alees Rush 750 (FBL)12s
                          Outrage 550 (FB)6's
                          Outrage G5 (FBL)6's
                          Trex 500 (FB)6's

Comment

Originally posted by Radio man View Post
                            Since so many people say that Garmin is good then I will go for it. But there's so many model which one shall I buy?

Buy one that is local set. Go to Garmin website and have a look.

Comment

For garmin, if you die die want and need the lane assist and junction view, then get the local set. Otherwise, you should get the imported set. I can pm you where to get with a good map if you want. More POI and detail.

The local map from garmin is really very lacking in POIs. The 765 with the 3D building is even worse, so hard to find those 3D buildings because there are so few of them in the map. Don't believe me, go and try.

All sets, whether from navicom(the appointed local distro) or not should come with 1 year warranty.

Non-SLA maps can also do postal code, just not all the postal codes and it sucks in HDB areas because they sometimes don't point you to exact block. Nowadays you can get garmin with MFM and SLA from eastgear.

For garmin, all 2XX and 7XX series have similar user interface and gps function. What differs is just the extra features like text to speech, bluetooth, fm traffic, fm transmitter...and do watch out for the last alphabat the model ends with, cause the maps will be slightly different. Singapore and malaysia map confirm will be present, no matter what brand. Just difference between US or europe map. For instance, the 265W=with europe map, 265WT=with US map.

Overseas map for papago in holux are coming soon, just not at the moment. Prices are expected to be around $110 per map, as compared to the typical $150-$199 maps of garmin, but not sure if it is going to be as good. Garmin got lots of community maps though.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X