Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with ESC/motor! smoking!

Hi all!!

noob needs some help here. i just finish setting up my "new" Trex HDE heli and was fooling around with it in my room throttling up to test the ESC/motor. was ok for a while then all of a sudden there is a screeching sound from the motor when i throttle, and abit of smoke came out. i stopped whateva i was doing, the ESC wasnt burned out as i could still enter programme mode etc.

below is what i was using:

ESC: Hobbywing pentium 30A
    Motor: 450TH
    Batts: 3S hextronic 1700mah 20c

i followed the suggested programming and the motor timing is low with soft start. i havent tried to trhottle up since as the motor and ESC was REALLY hot to touch.

anyone got any idea what is wrong? something wrong with my ESC setting or TX? really damn noobie with this RC heli stuff.

Thx for any help in advance.

450 PRO - Phoenixtech Scorpion 2221-8, Castle Creations Phoenix 35, Hitec HS65HB cyclic, Futaba 9650 tail, (hanger)

MA Furion 6 - Savox 5055 560KV, Castle Creations ICE 80HV, Turnigy 959MG cyclic, HK47110MG tail, Castle Creations BEC pro, BeastX

MA Fury55 - OS55HZ + Outrage EVO55 pipe, HS5625MG cyclic, Spartan + HK47110MG, Align 2 in 1, Align Governor.

Kasama - Savox 5065 550KV, Castle Creations Phoenix 85HV, HK47110MB tail, Hitec 7985MG cyclic, BeastX

Originally posted by stickman
    Hi all!!

noob needs some help here. i just finish setting up my "new" Trex HDE heli and was fooling around with it in my room throttling up to test the ESC/motor. was ok for a while then all of a sudden there is a screeching sound from the motor when i throttle, and abit of smoke came out. i stopped whateva i was doing, the ESC wasnt burned out as i could still enter programme mode etc.

i followed the suggested programming and the motor timing is low with soft start. i havent tried to trhottle up since as the motor and ESC was REALLY hot to touch.

anyone got any idea what is wrong? something wrong with my ESC setting or TX? really damn noobie with this RC heli stuff.

Hm.. white smoke? try smelling the esc for burnt smell. Suspect maybe is esc liao. I burnt my too
    Walkera #4
    King2

Comment

What pinion are you using for your motor?
      If there was smoke, something went.

Hi all!!

Comment

Hi all!!

If you are only throttling up and not flying and your motor and ESC is really hot, something is wrong bro. Did you check the main gear and pinion gear meshing, are they too tight?
        [SIZE=1][B]Back to hovering!!![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

from what i heard the 450th is not really compatible with the hobbywing esc and i have heard of cases the motor burn, please check with other esc/motor.

Comment

did you spool up without the blades?

no load on motor will kill both motor and esc
            TREX 500 ESP
            Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Hi Bro, is this the set you got it from me. If so, should not be a issues as I been using to fly my Trex for a period of time. All setting are set to heli mode. By chance, did you change any setting on the esc?

Hi all!!

Comment

Hi,

I think ur ESC timing setting is wrong. As in the manual, for 450TH, timing is medium.

Did u set the throttle range also???

Comment

Hi all!!

it seems the same with mine "screeching sound from the motor when i throttle" and the motor is not turning well...

Comment

alamak broe, i oso using this esc, everything programmed

soft start
                    med timing (tried high, motor not hot but esc darn, low=jerking)
                    lipo
                    lower power
                    low cut off
                    brake off
                    throttle range set

using wit elf hobby 4200kv 6pole outrunner + dn 2150 20c.

wat i notice is this esc gets hot, at times very hot to touch. izit cos of the 2a internal bec? im not sure if this 2a bec works wit my 3xhs55+1xhs50 cos i also notice my rudder hs50 gets a bit warm

so i scared to bring my heli high in case over heat or burn
                    Current Blink²:
                    Trex-600N: TTRL53H/H#523/CarbSmart/CYATGv3-Gview/JR770T
                    Beam-E4: SC-8/13T/SC-55A/LT2100T

History Blink²:
                    Belt-CP
                    Walkera-#60

"Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory."
                    Nate Waddoups

Comment

Originally posted by Art
                      did you spool up without the blades?

no load on motor will kill both motor and esc
                      thanks! i always did that to test w/o knowin...
                      Current Blink²:

History Blink²:
                      Belt-CP
                      Walkera-#60

Nate Waddoups

Comment

Originally posted by Nazar78
                        alamak broe, i oso using this esc, everything programmed

soft start
                        med timing (tried high, motor not hot but esc darn, low=jerking)
                        lipo
                        lower power
                        low cut off
                        brake off
                        throttle range set

using wit elf hobby 4200kv 6pole outrunner + dn 2150 20c.

wat i notice is this esc gets hot, at times very hot to touch. izit cos of the 2a internal bec? im not sure if this 2a bec works wit my 3xhs55+1xhs50 cos i also notice my rudder hs50 gets a bit warm

so i scared to bring my heli high in case over heat or burn
                        I suggest u get an external BEC so that the ESC will run cooler.

Comment

Thanks broe Adrianli, next in my shoppin list...
                          Current Blink²:

History Blink²:
                          Belt-CP
                          Walkera-#60

Nate Waddoups

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli
                            Hi,

I think ur ESC timing setting is wrong. As in the manual, for 450TH, timing is medium.

Did u set the throttle range also???
                            Just sharing....

The manual I have and the downloaded PDF from HobbyWing states timing must be LOW and startup must be SOFT. (refer below)

From experience, Low timing works fine, Mid timing will cause erratic stutters at either startups or at a certain rpm depending on the motor's KV
                            Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit
                              Just sharing....

The manual I have and the downloaded PDF from HobbyWing states timing must be LOW and startup must be SOFT. (refer below)

From experience, Low timing works fine, Mid timing will cause erratic stutters at either startups or at a certain rpm depending on the motor's KV

The manual I saw is from here :

Comment

Working...
                              X