Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boom strike

i just had a boom strike with my x400 with standard boom 322mm should i upgrade to the trex 347mm boom does it make a difference if its shorter or longer and what blades im going to rotor soon

.... leaving very soon............. i might just get the standard boom and blades

Comment

longer boom only increases your chance of getting a boomstrike.
      Don't PCW

Beam E4
      Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
      Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

Trex Boom For $1/-

Get the DIY boom for $1/-. Cut to any length you like...

See this thread:

Originally posted by helirulz
        longer boom only increases your chance of getting a boomstrike.
        Heli
        Honey Bee CP2 : Sold (Maiden:17 Dec 05)
        Trex 450XL (CDE) : MM450TH, Quark 33A, GY401, JR RS10DS (Maiden : Align Frame - 1 Jul 06; SuperFrame - 29 Aug 06)

Plane
        Estarter : Align 450s, Align 25A, Electron 6 (Maiden :16 Sep 06)

PT-17w : Sold
        Buggy
        Acme NB 16 : Half 8 Nitro (Maiden :23 Dec 06)

Transmtter : JR PCM 9X II, Aggressor SRX
        Charger : Tahmazo T15
        Balancer : TP205
        Battery :Thunder Power, FullRiver, Warbird

Comment

where to get the $1 boom

Comment

As written in the mentioned thread, the aluminium tube material can be bought from the Japanese $2 shop at IMM shopping centre at Jurong East. But the $1 DIY boom does need some work on your part - read thread by w_kby.

Swashhead

Comment

Long or short boom has the equal chance of boom strike.
              Boom strike happen when our main rotor head tilted backward (see below) and the blade kisses the tail boom. So, long or short boom, the height between the blades and the tail boom is the same.

There is a situation whereby when u use longer blades but with short boom, the main blades tips hit/kisses the tail blades.

EDIT: There is one situation that you might think long boom causes more boom strike whereby your tail boom is longer, u miss judge the distance of the the boom and when u do emergency landing or hard landing in a tilting angle, your tail boom hit the ground much earlier than before. That sudden "banging" on the tail will cause the main blades to hit the tail instead.

Boom strike is more frequent to happen if you have soft O ring damper.

Note:
              All R/C 2 bladed with flybar+paddles design I see so far follow the "Teeter" design. Think of "see-saw" in playground. When one blades goes up, the other goes down. In real/full size heli with teeter design (like Jet Ranger and UH-1C), their rotor head is far more higher than those multibladed head due to prevent blades hitting the boom.

EDIT: Long Boom compare to short.
              Advantages
              Longer boom allow you to use longer blades.
              Longer boom also increases the piro-rate or tail power.

Dis:
              Heavier on the tail.
              May look ugly to others.

SH

Comment

thank you every one i have just come back from rotor, i got the standard tail boom 450x and 290 blades. i will go and see that japanese shop and will buy a few booms.

Comment

Was at IMM 2 days ago ! .....believe I grabed the last 2 pieces of 12mm Alu tubings .....Lots of Stainless steel tubes thought !
                  Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet
                    Long or short boom has the equal chance of boom strike.
                    Boom strike happen when our main rotor head tilted backward (see below) and the blade kisses the tail boom. So, long or short boom, the height between the blades and the tail boom is the same.

There is a situation whereby when u use longer blades but with short boom, the main blades tips hit/kisses the tail blades.

EDIT: There is one situation that you might think long boom causes more boom strike whereby your tail boom is longer, u miss judge the distance of the the boom and when u do emergency landing or hard landing in a tilting angle, your tail boom hit the ground much earlier than before. That sudden "banging" on the tail will cause the main blades to hit the tail instead.

Boom strike is more frequent to happen if you have soft O ring damper.

Note:
                    All R/C 2 bladed with flybar+paddles design I see so far follow the "Teeter" design. Think of "see-saw" in playground. When one blades goes up, the other goes down. In real/full size heli with teeter design (like Jet Ranger and UH-1C), their rotor head is far more higher than those multibladed head due to prevent blades hitting the boom.

EDIT: Long Boom compare to short.
                    Advantages
                    Longer boom allow you to use longer blades.
                    Longer boom also increases the piro-rate or tail power.

Dis:
                    Heavier on the tail.
                    May look ugly to others.

SH
                    Think longer boom will also reduce the opposition force require on the tail. because of the longer moment arm, less force is require to maintain the heli heading.

AIR
                    HB K2 - Service
                    CopterX 450 - Hanger
                    IFO - Service
                    Walkera H05 mini plane
                    JR X3810
                    LAND
                    Kyosho Javelin - Garage
                    Tamiya TT01 Subaru WRX - In Service
                    Tamiya M03 Hello Kitty Swift - For wife
                    Cen Mini Madness - For son
                    Team Losi Speed T - In Service