Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trex $ Saving Ideas

Greetings to all

As proposed by headspeed, this thread is started to encourage Trex lovers to post any money saving ideas (DIY stuff) or any 'cheap & good' spare part source so as to help all Trex flyer reduce the cost of maintianing this relationship

Please indicate the "Title" to each post for easy follow through, thanks.

From my little flying experience, the most common crash replacement parts are from the 3 'B's - Boom, Belt, Blades....followed by shaft, flybar rod...etc

I hope all will view this thread as a 'win-win' for all parties including suppliers. As the cost of engaging in this hobby reduces, obviously more people will be encouraged take up heli sport; and therefore business should improve.

Many thanks in advance...
    Last edited by w_kby; 18-12-2006, 07:47 AM.
    Heli
    Honey Bee CP2 : Sold (Maiden:17 Dec 05)
    Trex 450XL (CDE) : MM450TH, Quark 33A, GY401, JR RS10DS (Maiden : Align Frame - 1 Jul 06; SuperFrame - 29 Aug 06)

Plane
    Estarter : Align 450s, Align 25A, Electron 6 (Maiden :16 Sep 06)

PT-17w : Sold
    Buggy
    Acme NB 16 : Half 8 Nitro (Maiden :23 Dec 06)

Transmtter : JR PCM 9X II, Aggressor SRX
    Charger : Tahmazo T15
    Balancer : TP205
    Battery :Thunder Power, FullRiver, Warbird

Trex Boom for $1/-

Ideas was gathered from earlier thread with input from swashhead, vinCoper and technicalpot to DIY a boom using aluminium rod purchase from "Daiso" located in IMM.

Each rod measures 3 feet long and comes with several different diameter eg 10mm, 12mm, 14mm etc. For Trex, I choose the 12mm diameter which can make 2 pieces Trex XL boom. There are also several colouts to choose from.

As the rod are slightly thicker than the stock boom, it weights 8 grams heavier. To cut the rod to correct length, I use the stock boom as a guide a scrib a marking around the rod with a pen knife before sawing it off.

You will need a 3mm drill bit to drill the hole at one end of the rod and a 2mm drill bit to drill the other hole before cutting it to make a slot at the other end. The slot need to be file down with a flat file (those used to trim nails)

It is very important to have both holes in exact alignment. Below are some DIY photos...

Final cost : S$1/- per boom.

hOpe tHis Helps

Heli
    Trex 450XL (CDE) : MM450TH, Quark 33A, GY401, JR RS10DS (Maiden : Align Frame - 1 Jul 06; SuperFrame - 29 Aug 06)

Plane

Buggy

Comment

Trex Boom for $1

More photos on the Trex boom for $1/-...

Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

DIY Gyro

I'm interested in designing and making my own HH gyro. I don't have a definite design now, but conceptually, I know what to do. This is based on my experience in making the Cyclic Feedback Control (CFC) for my flybarless Trex. I think I can come up with the final solution in 4 to 6 months from now. I target target the price to be less than S$80 and the performance is similar to the GY240 (no remote gain change). I will be sharing my know-how in DH.

Swashhead

Comment

Trex Boom for $1/-

Some update from bro VinCoper....looks like the stainless steel ones are better choice...

The Alu. ones are thicker, I’ve tried and looks like the belt is vary close to it. After a few flights, feels a little less power. The stainless steel tube is thinner, about the same thickness as the stock alu. one. No lost of power with this one.
          Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

Gyro - DIY

Hi swashhead, not sure if these files will help. It actually explains how to convert the GY240 to GY401. Included is the translation text

hOpE thIs HelPs

Originally posted by Swashhead
            I'm interested in designing and making my own HH gyro. I don't have a definite design now, but conceptually, I know what to do. This is based on my experience in making the Cyclic Feedback Control (CFC) for my flybarless Trex. I think I can come up with the final solution in 4 to 6 months from now. I target target the price to be less than S$80 and the performance is similar to the GY240 (no remote gain change). I will be sharing my know-how in DH.

Swashhead

35334.pdf

35335.doc

Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

Thanks w_kby, for your attachments. It is definitely helpful to get detailed technical explanations of gyros like those from you.

Swashhead

Comment

Cheap velcro/cable tie

Not limited to trex only.

1 pack = 6 x velcro
                measure 25cm full length

$4.20 at simlim tower,
                $4.50 at carrefour.

good for batt pack and secure onto heli.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
                Robotis Bioloid
                Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

Cheap velcro/cable tie

Oh yes! I also used them with my Trex (secure Rx, secure batteries....) Really cheap and good stuff. Thanks

Originally posted by pilot_bear
                  Not limited to trex only.
                  1 pack = 6 x velcro
                  measure 25cm full length
                  $4.20 at simlim tower,
                  $4.50 at carrefour.
                  good for batt pack and secure onto heli.
                  Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

These are also available at Challenger (at least the Tampines Branch has them )

Comment

Tail Boom for $1/-

Just to update.

I have fitted the $1/- boom onto my Trex (SLK Frame) and just test fly with 3 packs of batteries. Did not realise any significant different from the stock boom except that it is a bit tail heavy when I use the TP2100 battery.

One thing to note is that the belt was very close to the enterence of the tail boom (as warned by VinCopter). However, I used a rimmer to trim the thinkness of the boom at the belt enterence portion so that there will be sufficient clearance.

From the photos attached, it seems very close but certainly not touching the boom.

Looks GrEaT and flys GoOD ... ... at least for now. Will need more test, perhaps be other 3D pilots

Certainly worth the effort, this one ($1/-).Thanks to all who share their ideas. The more the merrier. Please share share your other ideas leh!

Also trying out this new way of posting photos, saves DH memory space...hope it works.

hOpe ThiS hElps
                      Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

Good photos, w_kby!

What are the steps to post photos directly? It is definitely easier to see the photos this way.

Swashhead

Comment

Photo posting

Hi Swashhead...check out this thread from Weeliano.

Originally posted by Swashhead
                          what are the steps to post photos directly? It is definitely easier to see the photos this way.

Swashhead
                          Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

As usual .. Great job on the DIY boom step by step guide !! And the blue boom look's as good or should i say better than the stock grey alu align one's ! For sure i'am going to try this out ... hehe

Comment

Here is my attempt on home made carbon blade's, this is the more presentable blade that has managed to pass the weight to stiffness ratio test.. after about 12 attempt's ... will post picture's of the t-rex in flight with these blade's if they pass the CG and balancing test lastly will work on the finishing

Comment

Working...
                              X