Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLying in SF

Hi,
    I am planning with Jonathan to slope while I am in SF during Mar16-21, target Mar17as the day flying.
    Anyone going there also ?

Looking for some tip:
    - I saw some pic of box that you use to carry the glider oversea...can someone share more detail of how to get one there ?
    - currently looking at Fort Funston site....any one else ?

I am thinking of either bringing my schwingup, or get one locally from SF.

Jonahan

SF as in san francisco? That sounds like fun!

You could ship your plane with insurance ahead of you, that's what I would do if I knew someone was on the receiving end, but customs might be a problem. Airline baggage limitations are quite stringent nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by rayonnair View Post
      SF as in san francisco? That sounds like fun!

You could ship your plane with insurance ahead of you, that's what I would do if I knew someone was on the receiving end, but customs might be a problem. Airline baggage limitations are quite stringent nowadays.
      Thanks Bro...i will have to figure this out.

Comment

Cool...if everything turn out as plan...this is were I am going...

Failure to charge the receiver battery to full capacity before launching most likely lead to the lock-up of on-board electronics. Though this plane carries a...

Great flying conditions, recorded with a ContourRoam camera. It may be a long vid, but there was a motorcycle making high speed passes at 17:57 and 18:10, ma...

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by JYHELI View Post
          Cool...if everything turn out as plan...this is were I am going...

Failure to charge the receiver battery to full capacity before launching most likely lead to the lock-up of on-board electronics. Though this plane carries a...

Great flying conditions, recorded with a ContourRoam camera. It may be a long vid, but there was a motorcycle making high speed passes at 17:57 and 18:10, ma...

Jonathan
          That's great Jonathan. I think Tick Point is probably one of the better all-round slopes I saw in the area. Good sized slope decent landing zone and close to parking. Wish I could make a trip up as well, but I have some doctor appointments on the 16th and well I was just up there 2 weeks ago so hard to make the argument business wise that would warrant the expense.

BTW which airline will you be taking to SF? I think each airline has different rules and regulations for carry on and checked luggage. In general most carriers accept golf bags as standard checkin without charging additional fees. If you have or can borrow a Sportube and if after you have your wings/fuse tucked in there it is still fairly short, you can pass it off as a hard case golf bag. If it's blatantly longer then a golf bag then you may have issues. If they ask you if they are golf clubs, you can avoid the question by telling them it's a golf bag (It's true, it could be used to hold golf clubs, just doesn't happen to be doing it now). Anyways, I purchased a Sportube about a year ago and when I visited asia last march I took it with me empty with plans to bring a few planes home with me from Japan. I grew up there and my folks still live there so some of the planes I had way back when are still there. Anyways, I lugged the sports tube from LA --> SG --> Malaysia --> Thailand --> Japan without any issues, but I got zinged a couple hundred USD from Japan back to the States. Of course that was after I finally had planes in it and it admittedly was pretty long. I think the real issue was that I had a tough time not telling the gate agent the truth, that it wasn't actually golf clubs, with my mom standing next to me

Myself I got some light flying in today during lunch at Pt. Fermin. Winds were off direction a tad so not the best lift but was nice testing out some tweaks I had made to my programing. I've been stretched for time so haven't had a chance to properly edit any videos in a while, but here's a quick job I did after getting back today.

-Jonathan

Comment

Very nice

Jonathan,

Very nice flying....I am really excited to get there to try it out. If I can do 10% of what your video shows I will be very happy.

Thank you for hocking me up with Tony, it is all set to get there.
            I am flying SQ there.

Got two options :
            1) Carry two of my gliders , Backfire2 and Schwing in the box shown with me
            2) Purchase from US ship to hotel , have line up either a Energic or Schwing

still trying to figure out what is the best options......

regards,
            Jonathan

Comment

Jonathan,

Very nice flying....I am really excited to get there to try it out. If I can do 10% of what your video shows I will be very happy.

Thank you for hocking me up with Tony, it is all set to get there.
              I am flying SQ there.

Got two options :
              1) Carry two of my gliders , Backfire2 and Schwing in the box shown with me
              2) Purchase from US ship to hotel , have line up either a Energic or Schwing

still trying to figure out what is the best options......

regards,
              Jonathan
              Hi Jonathan,
              Not sure if you are referring to a different thread or if you just missed posting a picture but I don't see the box with planes you mentioned.

I think it's safe to say with the rate and caliber of planes you are picking up that you have a slightly higher disposable income then myself. Therefore, if you are really interested in picking up even more planes and knowing the wait time and additional shipping and taxes you get dinged with when ordering from SG your second option might be a good idea. That said, I think you would be more comfortable flying a new slope with a plane that you already have a feel for and are used to. Enough can't be said about having a plane already fully programmed, trimmed out and maidened. Seriously, the last thing you want are surprises as it would really suck to be stuck at the slope or in your hotel room banging your head against the Tx cause some darn servo won't move in the right direction or mix properly or find out your flap/elevator mixing is to far off to use and you need to come in hot on an unfamiliar landing zone. Perhaps you can do a hybrid of your plan and bring one of yours that packs down the smallest so you don't get dinged with any charges on your trip over. Then also pick up some new toys to bring home with you and possibly even maiden off of Tick Point. Selecting only one small one to bring to the States with you would also give you the most room for taking new planes back.

One type of plane I don't yet see in your quiver and which you might be interested in is a twisty wing. Not sure what you could order up prebuilt by the time you get here, but might be fun to consider. Seems like all your planes look pretty much the same.

-Jonathan

Comment

Jonathan,

ops my mistake...here is the link to the box I was referring to.. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8095/8...efb1d467_z.jpg

As in twisty wing is one more for acrobatic sloping, correct ?
                I was looking at somthing like Lefish or this http://www.espritmodel.com/kulbutin-3d-arf.aspx ...... but the issue is when I come bakc home it is not suitable to fly in our "Land of One slope"..

Comment

Jonathan,

ops my mistake...here is the link to the box I was referring to.. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8095/8...efb1d467_z.jpg
                  No problem. Hard to make out much from the picture, but if that box is just cardboard, I would be scared to put that through the gorilla invested checked baggage system. Another funny thought might be to find a guitar case or heaven forbid a tuba or cello. I think all airlines allow musical instruments to be carried on regardless of size. Hard to tell what security would say though.

As in twisty wing is one more for acrobatic sloping, correct ?
                  I was looking at somthing like Lefish or this http://www.espritmodel.com/kulbutin-3d-arf.aspx ...... but the issue is when I come bakc home it is not suitable to fly in our "Land of One slope"..
                  While some twisty wing planes can be considered more aerobatic, they deffinately do not fall in the Le Fish, Flow, or Kulbutin category. Twisty wings are ultra efficient since you are not introducing drag or airfoil changes by moving ailerons or flaps. Instead the whole wing moves. Twisty wings can have an insane roll rate, but don't confuse them with slow low flying 3D'isk gliders.

The only draw back of twisty wings is that you can use flaps to slow down because they don't have any, or at least most don't. Some have incorporated different types of airbrakes which seem to work well.

Here's an example.

-Jonathan

Comment

Here's another very nice one, but I think Wyoming Windworks has closed their doors for business.

-Jonathan

Comment

Jonathan

Thanks for the info.... Looks really cool.

Jonathan

Comment

Here's another thread for all things TWF.

Comment

Jonathan, congratulations again for the successful maiden of the Schwing. Have you decided if you will be bringing it to the States?

Threw my GoPro on my plane for the first time today. I know it's not Tick Point, but California slopes await you

Click image for larger version

Name:	ESO Skycam 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	974102

Click image for larger version

Name:	ESO Skycam 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	974103

-Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Twyl View Post
                            Jonathan, congratulations again for the successful maiden of the Schwing. Have you decided if you will be bringing it to the States?

Threw my GoPro on my plane for the first time today. I know it's not Tick Point, but California slopes await you

-Jonathan
                            Jonathan,

Yes I am excited to get there ... just 14 days to go.
                            Yes I decided that I will bring my schwing and BF2(as backup) and take my chance with SQ.
                            I should be ok.

Jonathan

Comment

Jonathan,

Yes I am excited to get there ... just 14 days to go.
                              Yes I decided that I will bring my schwing and BF2(as backup) and take my chance with SQ.
                              I should be ok.

Jonathan
                              Nice! Now just make sure you have a uncrushable/undentable box. Keep in mind it may not be the 20kg bag thrown on top of it, but the 20kg bag thrown on top of the 20kg bag or the 20kg bag thrown on the 20kg bag thats on top of the 20kg bag that's on top of your glider

Sorry, but that box you posted a picture of kind of scares me knowing the precious cargo that's going to go in it. Keep in mind everyone but me in America flies mode 2 (at least I've yet to meet another mode 1 flier) so Tony and his friends won't be able to let you fly their planes. Well at least it wouldn't be any fun. I can think my way through mode 2 but it's too intense to enjoy and acrobatics or fast low passes are out of the question.

-Jonathan
                              who wants to see more box pictures

Comment

Working...
                              X