Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Jonathan,

Glad to know someone who actually works in Torrance! I usually head out to SoCal a couple of times a year, and really look forward to those trips coz it means I can drive out to Covina and visit Soaring USA! Where abouts exactly in Torrance do you work? I must admit though that my local knowledge of Torrance is limited primarily to the Del Amo mall and Redondo Beach

Cheers!
    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Nexxster View Post
      Hello Jonathan,

Glad to know someone who actually works in Torrance! I usually head out to SoCal a couple of times a year, and really look forward to those trips coz it means I can drive out to Covina and visit Soaring USA! Where abouts exactly in Torrance do you work? I must admit though that my local knowledge of Torrance is limited primarily to the Del Amo mall and Redondo Beach

Cheers!
      Keith
      Hi Keith, that's pretty cool. Have you gone to any of the flying spots in the area? If not I'd be more than happy to show you around.

My work is near the intersection of Western Ave. & Carson St probably 5-10 min from the Del Amo mall and about 15-20 min from Pt. Fermin, one of the best cliff slopes in SoCal.

-Jonathan

Comment

Hello Johnathan!

Merry Christmas! I am actually in Torrance now as I type this. I'll be here till Dec 29th, so if you read this message anytime before then, I'd really like to take up your offer on showing me around! I'll PM you me contact details.

Cheers!
        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Nexxster View Post
          Hello Johnathan!

Merry Christmas! I am actually in Torrance now as I type this. I'll be here till Dec 29th, so if you read this message anytime before then, I'd really like to take up your offer on showing me around! I'll PM you me contact details.

Cheers!
          Keith
          Hey Keith, so sorry man, I just got your PM and realized you were in town. Wish I would have noticed sooner, but regardless due to the holidays I'm tied down to family activities and I'd be excommunicated if I choose "play" over "family duties". I sent you a PM and also tried to text your SG number. Wind conditions locally don't look very promising though so even if you have a rental car and could make it to a slope the wind direction would be off.

Here's a link of whats around in case you are interested. Bluff Cove or Pt. Fermin are the two big ones in the area, but again... they like west winds and tomorrow is looking funky (weather link HERE)

-Jonathan

EDIT: Unless you plan to visit SoCal do not click on the above link or you may suffer from slope overdose or slope envy. You have been warned.

Comment

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for getting in touch! I did eventually manage to make it out to Point Fermin, and as you said, the winds were calm, so no one was flying other than the seagulls. However, I did get to see the Korean Bell of Friendship and the Lighthouse. It makes me so envious of the beautiful slopes all along the coast.

The whole San Pedro area is really pretty, and the view of the port and Catalina as the sun was setting was just gorgeous.

Hope to catch up with you again next time I am in SoCal

Keith

Comment

Again, sorry we missed paths Keith, it would have been fun to hang out. Point Fermin is quite a slope and the LZ is a bit of a hike up the hill towards the bell you saw. Here's a silly video I made of the path you need to take while flying your glider just to land.

Winter isn't the best season for slope since the winds are more sporadic, but then again the winter season is when we get the occasional gail force winds which will quite literally fly a brick if the CG is right.

I'm currently in slope withdraws as I haven't been able to get out or do any hobby related stuff during my week and a half holiday.

See you around!

-Jonathan

Comment

Now is the time

For those who have been waiting like me.
                Now is try time ....very windy

Comment

I wanted to warn folks I'll be in Singapore briefly this week, so if anything strange happens, you know who to blame. Unfortunately my schedule is pretty tight as I fly in just before 11:00PM on Thursday, deal with work stuff on Friday, and then fly out late late that evening (1:20AM Sat). I won't know until likely that Friday afternoon if I'll be able to free myself from my fellow travelers or not otherwise I'd check to see if anyone was up for a few beers.

-Jonathan

Comment

Aww ! ...Jon, a whole bunch of us slopies will be up at Phuket this week for our annual mid year slope fixes.

Most of us are leaving on the early morning flight tomorrow and will only be back sunday night, so looks like we'll have to take a rain check on that beer !
                    Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

No worries Tony. I'm sure you guys will be having a blast. I'll keep an eye out for some pictures!

-Jonathan

Comment

Pictures are out, Jon.

Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Very nice! Looks like you all had a great time!

-Jonathan

Comment

Hey guys, hows the wind been treating you lately? It looks like I will be making a quick pass through SG on Sunday and another return pass through on Tuesday. I peeked at the weather forecast but have no idea if NNE @ 14mph on Sunday is flyable at BR, but my guess is no...

Rumor has it, the latest Singaporean slope hobby is actually rolling down them and not flying?!. Perhaps I should give it a try?

I will arrive in SG at the lovely hour of 3:25AM on Sunday(1/19) and then fly up to Penang later in the evening (7pm). If anyone is planning to be flying BR or feels like hanging out let me know. Otherwise I will probably hunt down some murtabak and other grub I missed on my last time through.

On my return through SG on Tuesday(1/21) I plan to get in at 11:30AM and fly out late that night at 1:15AM(technically Wednesday morning) but I do not yet know what my schedule will be and there's a good likelihood I may get caught up in some meetings that day or have to attend a business dinner.

Cheers!

-Jonathan

Comment

Wind has been surprisingly good this week n forecast good too next week. Sunday will have peak conditions n definitely flyable at BR. Most of us wont be ard as we head up north for sedili day trip but there will be some flying at BR.

Tues looks good as well, shld be there in the afternoon. See you at BR
                              www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers
                              www.facebook.com/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League

Comment

Hi Pang, oh fun. I wish you guys good conditions in Sedili. I just got out of a 2.5hr teleconference and I'm guessing my plans will be changing. Will keep folks posted on how things turn out.

-Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                                X