Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC boat newbie question

Ok, I may be pushing too much. I am setting up my 1st RC heli and yet to fly but I can't help it. There is this bad habit of modeller to always find reasons to buy model whenever he visits the shop.

I was in this model shop (sells plastic models) and found a lot of old plastic model planes (new release by Airfix) and couldn't resist the urge to buy one. I bought a 1:72 scale lifeboat and was thinking of turning it into rc.

Has anyone have the experience to retrofit a small boat into rc here? It's a small boat of L240 x W80 mm with about 30mm hull depth. Wonder can I put in a small motor, servo, battery and receiver to run it. Will it sink under the weight of all these electronic?

This is a very detail model and I am sure it will look good in the water with the orange rescue colour.

U will need to fibreglass the interior and drop in motor, esc, servo n rx. Will look good when its in water.

Comment

Yes it can be done. I've see some plastic models converted to rc. There is a guy in the UK who builds scale cruise ships out of hard cardboard and it's fully operational.

If you have the knowledge in electronics than go for it bro. There are couple of bros here who have build some scale boats and powerboats. Maybe when you're into it they might help you along the way.

Your best bet for electric boats would be our "GURU" adrainli. But must let you know that he is a speed demon

Once done pls come done and run with us.

3ns

Comment

This one is scale boat, not speed boat.

Brush motor will do.

Comment

looks like there is a possibility to launch the boat into water.
          Anywhere I can get more info on what to do for rc boat? My concern is with the battery and others inside, the boat will sink quite significantly, thereby making the boat not scale enough (if it didn't sink all the way).

Thanks for all replies.

Comment

Sh!t, I returned my naval arch studies back to my lecturer.

There is a bouyancy formula calculation for this. Do a search and u should find it online easily.

Comment

I have a DX7 heli Tx, can I put in a model setting and use it for boating?

Comment

After doing some asking in forums, I think I need to go the way of converting small servos or use small motor for propulsion.
                What is a correct motor for my boat to move at scale speed (think should be slow) ? I have seen some in the hobby shop, here's the example;
                http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/MOTOR/MOTOR.HTM

What do you guys think if I put in 2 small motors to drive 2 shafts with screws, one esc and a small servo for rudder. All connected to a Spektrum receiver bind to my DX7.

Comment

Originally posted by Cklasse View Post
                  After doing some asking in forums, I think I need to go the way of converting small servos or use small motor for propulsion.
                  What is a correct motor for my boat to move at scale speed (think should be slow) ? I have seen some in the hobby shop, here's the example;
                  http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/MOTOR/MOTOR.HTM

What do you guys think if I put in 2 small motors to drive 2 shafts with screws, one esc and a small servo for rudder. All connected to a Spektrum receiver bind to my DX7.
                  Hi Bro.

I don't think that boat runs slow, it's a lifeboat. It's suppose to be fast and should be very good at handling.

I'm not gd at motors and electronics so can't help you there, but sure someone will pitch in. The one thing you might want to consider is cooling your motor. What I've heard is that motors running at such speed will need some cooling. It'll be gd if you could post some pics of the boat's transom. You'll want to know if the stock rudder could be use which I dout.

3ns

Comment

If u want controllable slow moving boat, you will need to go for Controllable Pitch Propulsion(CPP).

Go google for it and read it up.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Here is the pic of my Airfix boat, anyone has suggestion for its propulsion?
                      I am getting mixed idea for using small motor or servo. I find it a problem to know what type of motor or servo to use.

Comment

Here are some picture of my slow progress of converting my Severn Lifeboat. It's going to be a trial and error bas on info from the net.

Hull interior ground to reduce weight and deck area in superstructure cut.

Comment

Superstructure internal removed and thinned to save more weight.

My self made prop tube from aluminium tube, 1/16" internal diameter to fit a 1/16" stainless steel weld filler rod for a prop shaft.

Total weight saved so far is about 25 grams from the intial 93 grams.

I have ordered the Spektrum 6100 receiver for the boat and will be using 2 modified micro servo and one micro servo for the twin rudder.
                          The boat should go slow, the only concern is the difficulty in driving the 2 screws using a heli DX7.

Comment

I have planned to access the internal by lifting the upper superstructure but found it near impossible to do so after assembling the parts.

So it's plan B in a haste. I decided that I shall lift the whole superstructure from the deck to access the internal of the hull. A wall is needed to prevent water spilling inside was built using plastic sheet.

Next will be the assembly of superstructure with painting. I am still waiting for my receiver to arrive from Hong Kong, and that will be the test for the drive system.

Comment

This is the wall around the deck to keep the water out. This boat certainly cannot take big waves although the actual one can right itself if tip oever in heavy storm.

Comment

Working...
                              X