Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Li-ion in TX

Has anybody tried using a 3 cell 11.1 V on a JR transmitter??

I know its just volts and amps comming out of the batt pack..but is it safe for transmitter use??

Pls advise

thanks
    OnDuty:
    EPP Red Reno
    Nitro SeaBee .46
    EP SU31 Sukhoi for sale
    Frio 3d

InHanger:

GreatPlanes P-51 Mustang .61 4 stroke for sale

er... iz Li-ion or Li-poly?

both have diff operating voltage and if u thinking of using Li-ion where r u getting it from?

For building is 1/2 the fun of this hobby

Comment

Lipo

ops soory....I mean using Lipo batts...will it harm the transmitter?
      OnDuty:
      EPP Red Reno
      Nitro SeaBee .46
      EP SU31 Sukhoi for sale
      Frio 3d

InHanger:

GreatPlanes P-51 Mustang .61 4 stroke for sale

Comment

Frank use 2100mah Alignrc Lipo in the 9chp

Mike

Comment

I use the Align 1800mAh 12C in the JR9XII. It fits but you need to get the right connector for the power. Lasts a long time but you need to take it out to charge it and cannot use the built in charger. Lately I've been using Sanyo 2500mAh cells in a pack and that seems very good too. The 600mAh pack is pretty much unused these days.

Daniel

Comment

Oh, I forgot, I put a diode in series with the power that drops it about 0.6V (make sure you select the right diode with the proper power rating and voltage drop). With this, the voltage reading goes from around 11.4V and stays near 11V most of the time.

Daniel

Comment

what kind of connector is required for the JR TX? Where did you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by HZM
                Frank use 2100mah Alignrc Lipo in the 9chp

Mike
                1800 lah

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Wee
                  I use the Align 1800mAh 12C in the JR9XII. It fits but you need to get the right connector for the power. Lasts a long time but you need to take it out to charge it and cannot use the built in charger. Lately I've been using Sanyo 2500mAh cells in a pack and that seems very good too. The 600mAh pack is pretty much unused these days.

Daniel
                  Hi Daniel, the standard 8 cell Tx Pack is 9.6V and with full charge at 11.6V max. For a 3s Lipo, norminal is 11.1V and full charge at around 12.5V. If you only drop it by 0.6V, that will still be around 11.9V, will that be a little high for the Tx? I am not sure about the voltage tolerance of the Tx, so not sure if it is OK to use the Lipo. I did check the Align 1800 Lipo pack, it fits well to my Futaba Tx as well.

Can you share the Diod part number? Wil IN4001 OK for this application?

Comment

The connector I ripped off a smaller battery pack. I ran around Sim Lim but could not find the connector when I finally saw it fitted on a small Ni-Cd pack. So I bought the pack for $2 and cut off the connector.

As to the voltage, yes it runs a bit high and that's what prompted me to use the diode to drop down the voltage a bit. I could have used two diodes in series to get the voltage lower but I think transmitters run better at higher voltages (I used to design radio transmitters) so I left it at a slightly higher voltage. It has not been a problem for me.

I don't have the part number handy but I think the IN4001 may be good for at least 0.5V drop. Put two in series or better yet, just forward bias the diode and measure the voltage across it to be 100% sure.

Daniel

Comment

Incidentally, my Tx votlage reads 11.3V when fully charged so at least that much is possible. I would imagine that an additional 0.6V to 11.9V would not be too much of a problem.

Daniel

Comment

Incidentally, my Tx votlage reads 11.3V when fully charged so at least that much is possible. I would imagine that an additional 0.6V to 11.9V would not be too much of a problem.

Daniel
                        Cool, will try that next round as I just got from SLT the 1700Mah MH stick pack at $55.

Comment

Just make sure the pack fits. I know for sure that the Align 1800 10-12C pack fits and some of the packs I have don't because they're too wide or too tall. I suggest you give it a try first because you need some space for the wire etc. I made the connector terminate in an Ultra-Dean so I can always take the Li-Po out and use it on a heli if needed.

Daniel

Comment

Hi,

I was thinking of using one of my old packs in my TX as well and asked around.
                            The Horizon Hobby guys on RCUniverse (JR Support) told me that the higher voltage of the LiPo will wear out the TX transistors and reduce range in the long run.
                            Not sure if this is true.

Comment

Just make sure the pack fits. I know for sure that the Align 1800 10-12C pack fits and some of the packs I have don't because they're too wide or too tall. I suggest you give it a try first because you need some space for the wire etc. I made the connector terminate in an Ultra-Dean so I can always take the Li-Po out and use it on a heli if needed.

Daniel
                              I did test fit the align 1800 and the size just nice.

any better way to reduce the voltage further to 10.8? I still feel more "secured" if the voltage don't goes to high. 11.5 will be the max i believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X