Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using lipo battery to jump start my car

Yeah, I mean a real car. Since he car battery is running on 12 volt battery, is it possible to hook up a fully charge lipo battery and then used crocodile clip to connect up the batteries then jump start my car?

Possible to do it? Will it damage the circuit board on my real car? Will the lipo explode ? Anyone used this method before? My car often goes dead because of infrequent driving, so thought of doing this to waste my time waiting for tow truck to come jump start my car and also for emergency. Appreciate any feedbacks, cheers!!

theoretically it should work provided the lipo and wires are capable of handling the current (amps) that your car starter motor pulls during the starting sequence.
    www.rov.sg

Comment

cfm can. A friendly dude was sharing his experience with me at RH some months ago. Go ask Uncle Mike, he should be able to give you some tips.
      Heli-ADDICTION:
      Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
      JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

To the thread starter. My view is don't do it unless you have very good electrical knowledge, please.
        The fact that you post this question here means you most likely do not have the necessary electrical knowledge.

Please think carefully before you do anything.
        Everyone has to start this hobby as newbie.

Comment

A lot of info available on the internet about this. Just google the terms "lipo", "battery", "jump start".

Here's one, and with video: http://www.bigsquidrc.com/rc-myths-f...-car-starting/

Do take note their precautions, and that the lipo may end up overcharged above 12.6V... but maybe it's a good idea then to begin with a lipo at lower voltage?? Because reportedly jump starting does not consume too much energy out of the lipo.

Anyways, if you really have to do it, prepare a fire extinguisher...
          ------------------------------
          Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
          NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

If you really have to do it, a 4S LiFePO4 may be a more suitable choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallfly View Post
              Yeah, I mean a real car. Since he car battery is running on 12 volt battery, is it possible to hook up a fully charge lipo battery and then used crocodile clip to connect up the batteries then jump start my car?

Possible to do it? Will it damage the circuit board on my real car? Will the lipo explode ? Anyone used this method before? My car often goes dead because of infrequent driving, so thought of doing this to waste my time waiting for tow truck to come jump start my car and also for emergency. Appreciate any feedbacks, cheers!!
              I Used 3s 2200mah to last me a whole week before I finally had time to head to the workshop. Doesn't consume a lot of power, but does require high peak discharge. My 14AWG leads were warm after the sec or 2 of cranking.

Please remove your lipo at once after engine running. The alternator produces a float charge of about 13.6V for the battery and car assesories. No good for lipo
              Hanger
              Hirobo XRB SR Lama
              Hirobo Quark SRB
              Hirobo Quark SRB SG
              Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
              Blade450 3D
              MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
              COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
              Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
              FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
              Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
              HK FLYJET EDF
              Artech Skyfun
              Dynam P51D Mustang
              Parkzone P51

Tx:
              Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
              Spektrum DX6i
              DX8
              Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Originally posted by elmosan View Post
                I Used 3s 2200mah to last me a whole week before I finally had time to head to the workshop. Doesn't consume a lot of power, but does require high peak discharge. My 14AWG leads were warm after the sec or 2 of cranking.

Please remove your lipo at once after engine running. The alternator produces a float charge of about 13.6V for the battery and car assesories. No good for lipo
                Heli-ADDICTION:
                Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
                JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Everyone has to start this hobby as newbie.

Comment

Working...
                  X