Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lipo doesnt Charge Full

Hi, I purchased a new Lipo battery from LHS yesterday.
    I have a Turnigy Accucell 8 Charger.

Yesterday I tried to charge my battery using the Balancing mode.
    My battery is a 3S 1800mah battery.

However, I only got to charge up till around 700mah as indicated in the charger.

Is this normal? Or should I use the "Charge mode" instead of "Balancing Mode"?

If it's a new battery, usually it's kept near a "storage" voltage for long term storage. This usually roughly 3.8V per cell, so your brand new lipo was not completely empty when you started charging. So you can only put in about 700mAh, then the lipo becomes fully charged at 4.2V per cell.

To test the full capacity of your lipo, you can discharge it down to the lowest acceptable level of about 3.0V per cell, then charge it up to full. You should get close to 1800mAh as advertised.

By the way, if you're not using the lipo, do not keep it at full charge... this will deteriorate it faster and shorten the lifespan. Nor should you keep it at the fully discharged state, because it will slowly self-discharge on its own over time... once the voltage goes too low, the lipo is dead.
    ------------------------------
    Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
    NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Hi, I purchased a new car from showroom yesterday.
      I pump my petrol at esso.

Yesterday I tried to refill my tank using the "full tank" mode of the pump.
      My car has a petrol tank of 70L.

However, I only refilled 20L as indicated by the station pump.

Is this normal? Or should I use the "hand-squeeze diy mode" instead of "full tank Mode"?
      Yes it is normal if the fuel tank wasn't empty to begin with. If you are pumping 70L into a 70L tank, you might have had a problem...

Similarly, if you are charging 1800mah into a 1800mah pack, then you might be having a problem. As long as each cell reads around 4.20v after charging, you will be fine.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker1955 View Post
        Hi, I purchased a new Lipo battery from LHS yesterday.
        I have a Turnigy Accucell 8 Charger.

Yesterday I tried to charge my battery using the Balancing mode.
        My battery is a 3S 1800mah battery.

However, I only got to charge up till around 700mah as indicated in the charger.

Is this normal? Or should I use the "Charge mode" instead of "Balancing Mode"?
        Typically you do not discharge the full capacity of the battery.

if you discharge 1800 mahs from a 1800 batt, you'll be making a trip to the hobbyshop, to buy a new one!

This is not nicd so it's different. Don't need to discharge fully after use, don't need to charge fully and store.
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Working...
        X