Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe storage method for lipo

In US-based forums you often see the advice to store lipos outside the house (e.g. garage), enclosed in fire-proof material like tile, cinder block, etc. for safety.

But here in 'uniquely' singapore majority of us have the 'unique' problem of staying in flats so I'd like to know what are the methods that are used to store lipos safely. Just store in lipo bag, safe or not? How about storing in a vented metal/tin container? Any creative and safer solutions? ...Suddenly started to worry
    ------------------------------
    Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
    NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

i also quite worried, i saw people testing safety box with lypo, and it can hold the burn. i don't know if we can use a normal tin like a biscuit one.

Comment

UPDATED 14/11/2013 I did a small test to see how a cheap cashbox would hold up to a burning lipo. This was done with a fully charged 3S 2100 MAH lipo battery...

Comment

Yup, whether lipo bag or metal box, I guess the only way to know for sure is to conduct some testing, like in the video. I don't fully trust lipo bags because there could be 'copies' that are not flame-proof.

Actually for metal box, it's kind of dangerous to totally enclose the lipo due to risk of explosion from the pressure of the combustion gases?? An explosion would spread burning material all over. Probably need some vent holes to vent the hot gases in a safe direction away from combustible materials? Anyone has a solution like this?
        ------------------------------
        Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
        NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

actually to certain extend, all charging facilities all involved certain extend of risks, even with lipo bags etc. they are meant as a precaution instead to contain should there be any......

hard and fast rule - charge when u r around only under watchful eyes

personally, i had encountered notebook charging adaptor / mobile charger that had SPARKED off............good thing i was around to prevent it

so i m kinda paranoid over these after the two encounters.....

Comment

You can store the lipo in one of them large clay pots.
            "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

good idea!

Comment

i don't abuse my lipo batt especially charged set by hammering it like in the video etc.
                Why would you hammer it as that would not be normal usage and storage?

Regardless what batt chemistry, it will be a problem if abused or neglected eg over-charging/discharging and hammering and that includes the charger.

I charged mine for storage when i don't plan on using it and store them at a cool dry place in a partially covered tupperware on my bookshelf as do all the batt for my cameras and other toys...

Comment

I put my in my transmitter case, together with my transmitter. Don't know if its safe but I guess it is... until something happen

Comment

After see filokilos other thread on the lipo fire and the practicalities of storage in flats, I am going to bury mine in sand clay pot and sand, and start to change to A123s (assuming they are a safer?)

Comment

Working...
                    X