Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot AA NiMH batts while in use - why?

Hello. First post. Sorry if this has been asked before but I looked at the past messages and I didn't find anything specific on battery overheating while in use.

I modded a toy boat with a GWS400 motor and powered it with 8 Sanyo 2100 mAh AA NiMh batteries in series. After 5 mins of continuous running, the battereries got hot enough to melt the battery clip. The batteries are 1-2 years old, been using them on a digicam without problems.

Does anyone have ideas about why the batteries get so hot running the boat motor but doesnt melt a digicam? If these batteries are not suitable for R/C boats, what other rechargeable batteries do you recommend?

Would doubling the number of AA niMH batteries and connecting them in parallel solve the overheating issue?

Hi ahboat, Welcome to Daddyhobby

Although the total capacity of the AA batt may be enuh, I think your AA batt's cannot meet the instananeous current demand of your GWS400 motor.

Have not try increasing the max instananeous current output by paralling before. Anybody? Interested to know also.

Comment

From your description, you are using battery holder, battery holder are not designed for high discharge, the cells have to be soldered together.

THe cells u r using is not meant for high discharge, but for a 400 motor, maybe ok if you solder the 8 cells in series.

Comment

good cells to buy are those Kan cells or those artech cells. The are good enuf for ur 400motors.They are 2/3 AA cells.

Comment

Hi guys. THanks for the advice and suggestions. Looks like I'll be going to the battery shops in SLT... 8-)

Comment

but from JH for artech cells or SHS for kans.

Comment

Working...
            X