Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Anderson Powerpoles

Hi,

I was given a bag of these connectors. Was wondering how to solder/crimp and assemble the connectors.

The pics show what I have, can power pole users kindly advise?

Thanks.

Mun

Also came with these silver leads and black pins...

Do I solder my wire ends into the rear cylindrical portion of the silver leads and then insert them into the plastic housings?

What are the black colored pins for??

Comment

I did some research on these conenctors once, and found some very good reviews about them. To use them, you need a crimper. I understand that there is an 'official' crimper for them on the anderson powerpole website, about US$30. But one bro here actually found one sold in Sim Lim Tower. You can solder them, but you still need to use a crimper for proper connection of wire. Users are also advised to glue or pin the two separate connectors together (eg. black and red pairing) since there have been reports of these connectors coming apart during flight. These connectors are good for high cell connections cause they protect against sparking. But their size not useful for small aircraft.
      Beastx installed and flying ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yeah I did noticed that they (black and red connectors) do not hold very tightly. But if I use them, I would need them to be removable, as such the super glue solution will not work for me... maybe a piece of tape for added security.

What about the black colour pins? any idea what these are??

Comment

The black pins are used to hold the connectors together.

If you slide the red and black housing together the right way, there is a hole between both of them. You insert the black pin into the hole. This prevents the housings from slide apart in flight.

You can also cut the housing smaller if you need to. There is an indent about half way on the housing. Just saw along this line. However, the black pin does not work in this case.

Comment

Hi Kenghock,

Thanks for your reply, but I tried fitting the black and red housings again... they will only fit in one orientation (as in photos) but no hole.......

Also, there are no holes in the housing themselves to begin with... and as such nothing to align between the housings......

I tried looking for a solution on Anderson power poles website but find no useful information...

the mystery continues...

Comment

This is how it should look like when fully put together with the black pin.

Hope this clears things...

------------------------
              Up... Up... and AWAY !

Comment

Hi Airtrekker,

Thanks... make sense now... I will try with the connectors later....

Comment

If refering to the small black pins, they to hold the black and red housing together as a unit when inserted in the hole. See diagram above.

Ther is a caution. I've come across comments on rcgroups that don't recommend using them as they tend to work loose over time. In a heli, thats potentially fatal given proximity to open gears. If must use, there are pins with spiral grooves that better resist working loose.

I've personally gone with floss to tie the housings together. Hope that helps.
                  Cheers
                  Ken
                  Ps
                  I bulk ordered the 15, 30, 45, 75 amp housing and connectors. PM if you'd like to buy some.

Comment

30a and below solder is fine. That's the silver connectors that you have. For 45a, it uses the same housing but different connector, that one only can clamp, cannot solder.

They dont come apart easily. I use them as motor/esc connector, but the tend to be too bulky for a lot of uses. Comparing to 3mm gold pins WITH heat shrink, they do come apart easiler. The nice thing is, during crashes, motor jettision with less tendacy of pulling the esc and lipo along.

Where at sim lim tower carries them?
                    huh

Comment

No shops there that I could find. You can try the agent here but the markup is very high.

I ordered mine online from powerwerx. Hence the bulk order.
                      Cheers
                      Ken
                      ps
                      How many do you need?

Comment

Working...
                      X