Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery discharge rate VS Number of useful cycles

Hey guys, I was just wondering if I used a lipo to replace a 9v battery and use it for low discharge applications, would the number of useful cycles be more numerous than using it for rapid discharge RC applications requires?

It's quite a complex and debatable topic but I would really like to see what your views are!

Thanks a million!
    Inventory

Honey Bee FP (Retired)

SJM 360 (Trying to sell)

Cessna 182. A joy to fly. (In the trashcan)

DX6i

It depends what is the lipo nominal voltage level and how many cells, I guess. For example, if you're aiming for 9V, maybe 2s lipo is what you're looking for, i.e. roughly 7.4V nominal and 8.4V fully-charged.

If you only using at low discharge rates, then the lipo will be fairly fully charged over a long period of time, which will probably reduce its lifetime or number of cycles.

For the same reason it is recommended not to store lipos at fully-charged voltages.
    ------------------------------
    Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
    NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Here is my opinion,

We are actually rapidly discharging batteries when we are flying, doesn't matter if the battery can do it or is meant to do it, it is not good and will shorten the battery life faster. Only thing is that lipo can do it safely, unlike the normal AA batteries, rapid discharge will most certainly end up with an "explosion".

Produces lots of heat, which dont do much good in Singapore besides boiling water. :P
      Also faster chemical reaction will lower the capacity of the battery.

I think your lipos will last longer if used for low discharge applications as you are not stressing it. Also, for this kind of applications, you dont need your lipo to be in tip-top flying condition, any old lipos that is not airworthy anymore can be used.

Side track abit, i wouldn't buy new lipos for these applications, i would use my old packs. And since im not worried about the discharge capability, they might just last "forever".

Comment

Well I actually don't have such small packs that are the size of a 9v battery. And considering how cheap it is from HC I'm sure buying one of those is much cheaper than buying 3 9v batteries!
        Well it's just out of curiosity too!
        Inventory

Honey Bee FP (Retired)

SJM 360 (Trying to sell)

Cessna 182. A joy to fly. (In the trashcan)

DX6i

Comment

Working...
        X