Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging Lipos in Parallel Can ?

Hi All,

I am thinking of modifying my 3S1P Lipo wiring so that it allows me to charge as 1S3P (charging at 1 cell voltage) and use it as 3S1P. My worry is if I parallel the unbalance cells, will this give any harm to the cells. Since the cells balance themself in split of second with ultra fast charge and discharge action between them.

Appreciate very much if any brother(s) here could enlighten me. Many many many thanks .

When the cells are in discharged state, there wouldn't be much current from higher voltage cells to charge the lower one anyway. Not much harm here.

Charging in parallel has its good and bad points.

Plus side, cells are balanced, cell voltage never exceed the charging voltage.

Down side, longer charging time, most charger cannot deliver high amps at one cell setting due to step down limitation. If one cell in the pack fails, the other cells will be charged at higher current.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by X34
      When the cells are in discharged state, there wouldn't be much current from higher voltage cells to charge the lower one anyway. Not much harm here.

Charging in parallel has its good and bad points.

Plus side, cells are balanced, cell voltage never exceed the charging voltage.

Down side, longer charging time, most charger cannot deliver high amps at one cell setting due to step down limitation. If one cell in the pack fails, the other cells will be charged at higher current.

Cheers
      Actually there are 2 reasons for me to do this:

Firstly, my DIY charger requires 15V (min) to charge 3S1P but I want to use my 12V PC supply. Although I can still do it by connecting +12V in series with -12VDC but think the current will be limited by the -12V supply. Secondly, I want to balance my cells.

Thanks for your highlight on the high charging current. I almost forgotten that I need to do 3 X I. Guess I have to get a high current output regulator and a very big heatsink

Comment

Working...
      X