Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question to ask....

Can i use my stock dragonfly adapter which is use to charge the stock Ni-MH as a 12V supply for my apache li-po 2030 charger?!

the adapter have a
    input : 220V ~ 50Hz
    output: 12V - 300mA

don't think it will work, the power output is too small.
    You will need at least a few ampere of current, the 300ma is too little.

sigpic

Comment

okay so at least i need how many amp for that charger?

Comment

Originally posted by dxsibo
        okay so at least i need how many amp for that charger?
        Since the max output current is 2500mAh, you'll probably need a minimum of 3A, taken into consideration of energy loss.

Cheers!
        For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

not to worry cos i just got a 2nd hand 17A PC power supply for only $8 at SLS
          Don't PCW

Beam E4
          Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
          Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

oh...i think i need to mod my spare cpu power supply too...

Comment

Actually hor.. U do not need to mod anything on your computer PSU for use in charging. Computer PSU suppose to be able to provide very constant DC output. If the PSU unable to provide constant output, your computer will hang very often.

Just connect/short 2 of the wires to turn on the ATX power supply and then connect your Charger to it will do liau.

Super-Hornet

Comment

really, Then why do people put resistors blah blah blah. What are they used for? I oso interested. How many Amps can a normal PSU give out? if its so simple, why are those 12v PSU meant for the purpose so ex?

Comment

Computer PSU (Good one... not damage or intermittent problem) should be able to provide constant output. Its 12V and 5V are actually coming out from 2 different pathway (If u open up and study its electronics circuitry) but they still share from the input source.

That means, if u put resistor to load the 5V, u are actually diverting some power to your 5V instead. It should be redundant to do this. I believe those ppl who suggest of doing so are refering to the older Computer PSU whereby the 5V are actually tap and step down from the 12V output instead.

Normal computer PSU should be more expensive than a normal transformer type of power supply is because of higher grade of electronics (especially for higher frequency type)

Super-Hornet

Comment

Thanks ALOT. now i just need to use my multimeter and probe everywhere. So they giv out sufficient amps?

Comment

Normal Computer PSU wiring color coding should be Yellow for +12V and Black for 0V or ground. Just tap any yellow and black will do but I recommend choose the shorter cable for lesser wire load.

Normally there is a current rating specification sticker at the PSU. Refer to that sticker for the current o/p. Note that normally the sticker rating is rated as max current O/P.

Most of the PSU come with short circuit or over current protection circuit. If u short it or overloading it, it will shut down.

Super-Hornet

Comment

all right thanks for all the reply...i asked my dad and he gave me this. I think it should be ok for me to use on my charger right

Comment

Hi dxsibo

Your father is working in manufacturing or some R & D company? That switching PSU normally seen in manufacturing machine. Yes.. it can use... Just remember to connect wire correctly.

Since it is 3A max, it may get quite hot if u do charge at 2.5A.

Super-Hornet

Comment

hi hornet, actually my dad is a all rounder... have a pub license too..

i asked where he got that thingy and he told me many many yrs back at Sungai Road (should be spell like this) near SLT there...for only $3

Comment

Working...
                            X