Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incomplete charging when charging at slow rate? Hyperion EOS0606i ac/dc

Hi all,

Using Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC, with Thunder Power 3S 2200mAh (TP2200-3SXV)

I have noticed that when I charge at a slow rate, 0.8A, then the charge seems to terminate before completion.
    It terminates at 66 minutes, with 880 showing at top-right, i assume the top-right figure is the mAh that has gone into the batt?
    I tried charging the same batt again with the same rate, 0.8A, and the same thing happened. 66 minutes and 880.

Is this normal?
    Does this charger have a 66 minute timeout?

Should I just charge faster?
    Is it always beneficial to slow charge lipos? How slow? (e.g. Is 0.2 C theoretically better than 0.5 C?)

Really suspect that there is a 66-minute timeout.
    I was just charging a pack at 1.5A or so, and it ended at 66 minutes and abt 1500mAh on the counter. So I am starting the charge again to see if anymore charge goes in.

It would seem that "END" of charge doesn't mean the pack is full, it means either pack is full before 66 minutes, or 66 minutes are up, and the charger just leaves the batt partially charged.

Comment

*slap Forehead*

Oh, my bad.

I just rechecked manuals and realised it's my mistake all along.

This charger lets you specify battery capacity, not charging current. "C = XXXX mAh".
      I should have deduced this from the units given... mAh is a unit of capacity, while mA is a unit of current.

It seems that you are just supposed to tell the charger what the capacity of the battery is (2200mAh in my case) and then the user has no control over how fast the charger will charge at, the manual implies that it is hardcoded to charge at 1C, according to what capacity you say your battery is.

Is it just me, or does this forum not allow editing one's own posts?

Comment

Originally posted by kaon View Post
        Oh, my bad.

I just rechecked manuals and realised it's my mistake all along.

This charger lets you specify battery capacity, not charging current. "C = XXXX mAh".
        I should have deduced this from the units given... mAh is a unit of capacity, while mA is a unit of current.

It seems that you are just supposed to tell the charger what the capacity of the battery is (2200mAh in my case) and then the user has no control over how fast the charger will charge at, the manual implies that it is hardcoded to charge at 1C, according to what capacity you say your battery is.

Is it just me, or does this forum not allow editing one's own posts?

Actually you do, when you specify the capacity, you are also telling the charger what current it can charge max at.

Try setting it at 4000 mah and charge a 2000 mah batt, I think the charger will do 2C from there but I advise you against doing that. Lipo is good for 1C charging, nothing else despite what some manufacturers will tell you, it kills your lipo faster. It is therefore important to tell the charger what capacity in the sense limiting what max current you want it to charge, it is not important to the actual capacity as the charger will charge to lipo's full voltage of 4.2 regardless of you putting in a half full or empty batt etc.
        Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22 View Post
          Actually you do, when you specify the capacity, you are also telling the charger what current it can charge max at.

Try setting it at 4000 mah and charge a 2000 mah batt, I think the charger will do 2C from there but I advise you against doing that. Lipo is good for 1C charging, nothing else despite what some manufacturers will tell you, it kills your lipo faster. It is therefore important to tell the charger what capacity in the sense limiting what max current you want it to charge, it is not important to the actual capacity as the charger will charge to lipo's full voltage of 4.2 regardless of you putting in a half full or empty batt etc.
          hi edmond , i 've discharge my 1300mah batt till 3.58v per cell and the batt is a bit bloated! after recharge at 0.4a the charger shows a total of 1326mah being charge back is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by BigKid View Post
            hi edmond , i 've discharge my 1300mah batt till 3.58v per cell and the batt is a bit bloated! after recharge at 0.4a the charger shows a total of 1326mah being charge back is that normal?
            Ok, not entirely sure how to answer your question but if you are asking if it is possible to charge back more than what the original capacity is, the answer is then yes. The charger will simply go by voltage and charge your lipo to 4.2v and not really bother about capacity, there is no way to tell anyway since a half full, empty or fully charged pack can be charge again, the charger simply look at voltage and charge accordingly.

BUT your lipo is not so normal anymore, better to dispose of the bloated cell.
            Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

charging slower than 1C?

Is there any benefit for lipo batteries to be charged at slower than 1C?

Supposing you're not flying any more for the day, and you only have 1 pack to charge, so there is no hurry at all...

This is what I've been doing, setting the C to be 1000 when my packs are 2200. But the charger will always quit at 66 minutes. Leaving the packs not completely charged.

Comment

Originally posted by kaon View Post
                Is there any benefit for lipo batteries to be charged at slower than 1C?

Supposing you're not flying any more for the day, and you only have 1 pack to charge, so there is no hurry at all...

This is what I've been doing, setting the C to be 1000 when my packs are 2200. But the charger will always quit at 66 minutes. Leaving the packs not completely charged.
                I dun know if ur charger have any storage charging function, but u can use this function if u are going to store for a week.

Then fully charge the lipo when the weekends are approaching

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22 View Post
                  Ok, not entirely sure how to answer your question but if you are asking if it is possible to charge back more than what the original capacity is, the answer is then yes. The charger will simply go by voltage and charge your lipo to 4.2v and not really bother about capacity, there is no way to tell anyway since a half full, empty or fully charged pack can be charge again, the charger simply look at voltage and charge accordingly.

BUT your lipo is not so normal anymore, better to dispose of the bloated cell.
                  thanks for the reply! anyway after charging the cell is back to normal no more bloat! i will monitor this particular batt. cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X