Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire while charging

Much has been mentioned on safety before and while operating our heli.

How about safety while charging the batteries, especially lipo batts.

Attached is an example how dangerous it may be, if left unattended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSgjj...elated&search=

I have heard also that the lipo batts may explode around 30 mins after a crash and thus need to keep under safe observation.

Can those who have experienced spare time to share?
    Work Hard, Play Harder.

Lipo

Had a bump while flying my third batt on my EP cessna yesterday. While trying to take off again using the same batt. My cessna gave out smoke. Terrifying, I place my beloved cessna far away from the rest of the flyer and around 1.5min later, my cessna was in flame and after a few minute it was burn to complete ashes leaving only the metal linkage. Surprising, there was no explosion of any sort while it was in flame ( except many black smoke). Actually, I wanted to savage the electronic from the cessna by unplugging the battery but the fear of Lipo explode was on my mind. So i made up my mind to let it burn . Will upload the picture of what's left over when I get my cable from office.

Comment

Thanks !

Such experience should be shared more by most, for all to benefit and find measures to overcome it.

Appreciate your time to highlight.
      Work Hard, Play Harder.

Comment

Hmm.. Do you mean that when you took off the 2nd time and you saw smoke, you still left the battery connected? Wouldn't it be better to quickly disconnect the battery?

When you said smoke at that time, did you see where the smoke was coming from?

Comment

My Cessna return back to nature.

Originally posted by simonwoo
          Hmm.. Do you mean that when you took off the 2nd time and you saw smoke, you still left the battery connected? Wouldn't it be better to quickly disconnect the battery?

When you said smoke at that time, did you see where the smoke was coming from?
          Yes! I wanted to removed the battery, but the smoke seem to be getting more dense and, frankly, fearing for safety more than $. I made the decision to leave the plane one side and see what happen. Within few second, the smoke got even more denser and flame started. It all happen very very fast.

Comment

No worries bro, I'm also trying to learn from this experience of yours. I think intuitively I would immediately remove the connection cos it still seems safer than leaving a live connection. So my instinct would be to remove the connection in the name of safety actually.

But of course, you were there. I'm sure you had good reasons to run for your life first and foremost kekeke.. Just kidding ya

Originally posted by Cessna584
            Yes! I wanted to removed the battery, but the smoke seem to be getting more dense and, frankly, fearing for safety more than $. I made the decision to leave the plane one side and see what happen. Within few second, the smoke got even more denser and flame started. It all happen very very fast.

Comment

I wonder if it is possible to encase the li-po battery in a sort of fire proof material, like normex (the type of fire proof fabric F1 drivers wear). Of course we then may have problem with battery cooling. It may give sufficient time to remove the battery if it starts to give out smoke indicating that it is catching fire, without fear of getting burnt.

Comment

Originally posted by DL8698
                I wonder if it is possible to encase the li-po battery in a sort of fire proof material, like normex (the type of fire proof fabric F1 drivers wear). Of course we then may have problem with battery cooling. It may give sufficient time to remove the battery if it starts to give out smoke indicating that it is catching fire, without fear of getting burnt.
                if thats the case.......
                use the normex gloves lor

Comment

Originally posted by zattan22
                  if thats the case.......
                  use the normex gloves lor
                  Wearing gloves while flying rc may not be possible as we need to have a bit of "feel" of our fingers on the tx sticks for more precise control. I suppose we could have fire proof gloves handy just in case..

Comment

[QUOTE=DL8698]I wonder if it is possible to encase the li-po battery in a sort of fire proof material, like normex (the type of fire proof fabric F1 drivers wear. [QUOTE]

Nomex is not fireproof - it is fire resistant up to a certain degree. The link below will give some idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X