Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

someone teach me how to utilise PC PSU for charging

Guys i have a 450W PSU powering my computer.
    I wanna know how i can make full use of mine for charging because im having a bit of problems at the moment.

Currently, i am tapping 12V off the normal connectors that go into the CD drive/ hard disk.
    This is a picture of how it is currently:

I tried to charge a 2S lipo at 2amps but the max it could go was 1.3A before the charger started beeping due to low imput voltage. (11.4V)_

However i have a program that comes with my ASUS 7600GT graphics card called 'ASUS SmartDoctor' and it tells me that my 12V PCIe line has 12.9V running thru the system.
    Now...HOW do i make use of that 12.9V supply?
    The 7600GT is directly powered off the motherboard so im guessing the very large connector that goes to the motherboard is the one providing that power. There is no parallel connector that comes off that line(maybe that's why its so powerful? ) but i would like to know how to take advantage of that line.
    This is a picture of the motherboard power line:

The way i see it at the moment, I have to cut that power line and make a parallel connection. However doing so is dangerous and quite tedious.

How would you guys do it?
    Don't PCW

Beam E4
    Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
    Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Hi,

Visit this link..

You need to load the power supply in order for it to supply the wanted output. I build mine using the above instruction, and be prepare to cut wires, and a trip to Sim Lim Tower..

Good luck on your build..

Comment

PCI-e power supply is the line direct from psu to gfx, isn't it?

I believe just taping power from 1 connector is not enough for high amp draw. I remember I tap power from the 4 pin cpu plug also.

I followed the method in this thread. Although voltage tend to drop below 12v, it still works good even when running 2 charger each charging at 3s 2A.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tucfaz
        Hi,

Visit this link..

You need to load the power supply in order for it to supply the wanted output. I build mine using the above instruction, and be prepare to cut wires, and a trip to Sim Lim Tower..

Good luck on your build..
        I did have a load on it previously when i used another seperate ATX power supply to power the charger ONLY. I thought the load was used to 'pre-load' the system so that when i connect the charger on, the PSU wouldn't detect the sudden current surge as a short circuit and immediately power off?

But what kind of logic is it that i need to load the 5V line to get the wanted 12V output?
        Don't PCW

Beam E4
        Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

oh yes guys...do keep in mind i am using this PSU to power both my computer and charger
          Don't PCW

Beam E4
          Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

Originally posted by baby_zyklon
            PCI-e power supply is the line direct from psu to gfx, isn't it?

I believe just taping power from 1 connector is not enough for high amp draw. I remember I tap power from the 4 pin cpu plug also.

I followed the method in this thread. Although voltage tend to drop below 12v, it still works good even when running 2 charger each charging at 3s 2A.
            http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1337
            Hi baby_zyklon,
            could you specifically tell me which method you used because I've read thru the whole thread and there are a few methods there
            Which one did you follow and post # ?

Was also wondering if you could take a picture on how yours in done, and if one 14-pin connector is not enough, then how many do you need to connect in parallel?

Also, may i know what the voltage is when you run the 2 chargers together. For me, i need the voltage to be 11.6V and above or my charger will beep.
            Don't PCW

Beam E4
            Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

I didn't do anything to the 20/24pin connector except short the green and black to keep ps on.

I believe I cut and got ALL the yellow wires together, including the 4pin one which powers up the cpu because I can't find any connector left except the 20/24pin one. By CPU, I mean the central processing unit, not the whole computer. I believe you need to get the yellow wires together to get the sum of the current output like what the article says.

Not sure what is my voltage, but I am using t15 and prolux if that matters.

sigpic

Comment

Using load to stabilized power supply is for some power supply that is... well.. SUX!!

Normally U do not require to load it. Loading power supply are for those power supply where its 5V and 12V are from the same source (switching output). I would normally avoid such power supply.

I use ATX power supply to charge all my batteries. I connect them to my T15 charger, some unbranded (I think it is Prolux) LiPo charger and to a NiMH charger as well.

T15 to charge my 4S1P at 2.2A, unbranded to charge my TX LiPo at 1.5A and NiMH to charge my cordless phone.

For your case, the voltage drop is cause by your ATX power supply is below 12V initially. Please use digital voltmeter to measure it. Some more you are powering your computer at the same time and this further loading your 12V. I would recommend you to use an stand alone ATX power supply for charging instead.

Oh.. don't trust those software voltmeter... not accurate.

SH

Comment

helirulz

not trey to bun your computer, jas go by one computer power supply .and t-15 charge to do it. as SH post.

Comment

Hmmm.. This is interesting.

How do we run an ATX PSU without load? You mean just plug the main socket and it will supply enough ampere for most charger? Cos, I thought ATX PSU should shutdown when unloaded..

Originally posted by Super-Hornet
                    Using load to stabilized power supply is for some power supply that is... well.. SUX!!

Normally U do not require to load it. Loading power supply are for those power supply where its 5V and 12V are from the same source (switching output). I would normally avoid such power supply.

I use ATX power supply to charge all my batteries. I connect them to my T15 charger, some unbranded (I think it is Prolux) LiPo charger and to a NiMH charger as well.

T15 to charge my 4S1P at 2.2A, unbranded to charge my TX LiPo at 1.5A and NiMH to charge my cordless phone.

For your case, the voltage drop is cause by your ATX power supply is below 12V initially. Please use digital voltmeter to measure it. Some more you are powering your computer at the same time and this further loading your 12V. I would recommend you to use an stand alone ATX power supply for charging instead.

Oh.. don't trust those software voltmeter... not accurate.

SH

Comment

tape the green and black pin on the 20/24 pin together(i.e. short them).
                      connect charger to yellow and black wire.
                      plug in to wall socket.
                      turn on power supply.

Like that will work liao. No need for any load or mod.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks. Yep.. Done that before on a few of my PSU. What happen was that, when I test the power with a multimeter. The PSU output less then 12V.. I think only 11.9V only.. didn't hit 12+ V

BTW. What brand of PSU unit you use?

Originally posted by baby_zyklon
                        tape the green and black pin on the 20/24 pin together(i.e. short them).
                        connect charger to yellow and black wire.
                        plug in to wall socket.
                        turn on power supply.

Like that will work liao. No need for any load or mod.

Comment

vios 450w. The one that comes with com casing. I don't think mine loaded is more than 12v either, coz last time on my cpu was 11.8+v. The psu I use in my com now shows 12.25v+/-. I think only those super duper expensive 850w++ psu will have very consistent 12v at high load because atx spec lower limit for 12v is like 10v+ or 11v kind of voltage.

sigpic

Comment

U can use a car signal bulb as a load.

Remember, DO NOT cut the rest of the wire at one go. Cut them one by one to prevent "sorting".

That was how i did mine.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X