• Show
Clear All

charging lead 12v battery

i have a lead 12v
    but charging for 3 times
    the batt bloated

i wonder how long should i charge my batt
    can i charge it overnight???

im using prolux 12v charger and power supply........which costed me $30 only

Gel cell? Or Maintenance free lead acid cell?

What is your charging current?

Before I have a triton, I used a old fashion 1A charger charge over night without issue. When it is full, Gel cell will feel warmer than normal.

Long long ago (almost 20 years).. I used the very same charger to charge those motorcycle battery. Non maintenace free type. Over-charging, I will see electrolysis takes place.. as in.. lots of bubbles (H2 + O2)

Now, armed with a triton, I let the triton does the power cut when battery is full.
    huh

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread... But can anyone explain what is the diff between gel cell or maintenance free lead acid cell?

I am looking for a 12V battery for field charging. Any brand and model to recommend? I would prefer something not too heavy and bulky as this will eventually go into a field box. I have a 12V charger cum converter (no cut-off). Will this be suitable?

Comment

i dun know much
        but mine is the 12v battery from rotor
        and the charger prolux is from champion

i dun know much about the current
        but it is a 12v supply also......

Comment

Originally posted by zattan22
          i dun know much
          but mine is the 12v battery from rotor
          and the charger prolux is from champion

i dun know much about the current
          but it is a 12v supply also......
          What's the model of your Prolux charger? Does it have a lead acid charging capacity? Not all charger can charge lead acid batt.

I once used a NiCd/NiMh charger to charge a camera lithium batt. Of course it went kaput. I thought I got a lemon batt until I learnt that different type of battery needs different charger.
          For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Hie all~

I'm also quite interested on this. I have a multi purpose AC/DC/Charger multi 6/9/12/13.8V 3A adapter. What volt shoud I use to charge those 12v lead acid cell? This is the one which can get for ard $30 at motor shop rite? I'm not sure whether the adapter has cut-off charge as I neva use the charge function b4. So how long we have to charge?
            Current Blink²:
            Trex-600N: TTRL53H/H#523/CarbSmart/CYATGv3-Gview/JR770T
            Beam-E4: SC-8/13T/SC-55A/LT2100T

History Blink²:
            Belt-CP
            Walkera-#60

"Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory."
            Nate Waddoups

Comment

Originally posted by mun36
              Sorry to hijack this thread... But can anyone explain what is the diff between gel cell or maintenance free lead acid cell?

I am looking for a 12V battery for field charging. Any brand and model to recommend? I would prefer something not too heavy and bulky as this will eventually go into a field box. I have a 12V charger cum converter (no cut-off). Will this be suitable?
              mun36:

http://store.altenergystore.com/Batt...Gel-Cell/p772/ (Look under "How does a gel cell work?" near the bottom of the page.)

If you are charging Rx batteries.. you can get a smaller one from Sim Lim Tower.
              If you intend to change LiPos/Hi capacity Nicads for EPs... a small cell will not be enough... (7.2Ah Gel cell may allow you to charge 3x 2100mah 3S1P lipo.. doubt any more than that......)

Overcharging is especially harmful to gel cells because of their sealed design. Overcharging dries out the electrolyte by driving the oxygen and hydrogen out o f the battery through the safety valves. Performance and life are reduced.
              huh

Comment

Originally posted by Nazar78
                Hie all~

I'm also quite interested on this. I have a multi purpose AC/DC/Charger multi 6/9/12/13.8V 3A adapter. What volt shoud I use to charge those 12v lead acid cell? This is the one which can get for ard $30 at motor shop rite? I'm not sure whether the adapter has cut-off charge as I neva use the charge function b4. So how long we have to charge?
                If you go to SLT, the 12V batt will be cheaper, ard $20. I heard ppl use a power adapter to charge their SLA but I used a specific SLA charger to do the job. If your batt is 12V, set your adapter to 12V.
                For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Ouh~ thanks broe...
                  Current Blink²:

History Blink²:
                  Belt-CP
                  Walkera-#60

Nate Waddoups

Comment

i just checked my charger
                    its 1.8A

but indeed how long to know the batt is fully charged???

Comment

Originally posted by zattan22
                      i just checked my charger
                      its 1.8A

but indeed how long to know the batt is fully charged???
                      Depends on the capacity of your battery and of course how much charge's still inside when you charge the batt. If your batt's capacity is 4.2Ah and it's empty/discharged, it will take 4.2/1.8 = 2.3hrs. Add about 10% for energy loss and you'll get about 2.5hrs get the batt fully charged.

The problem is you do not know if your batt is empty/discharged. If you can regulate the charge rate to 10% of the batt capacity (in your case about 0.2A), you can leave it on overnight without fear of overcharging. This is called slow/trickle charging.

For myself, my charger cuts off when the batt reaches its peak, so I don't have to monitor the charging and fear the prospect of overcharging.

Comment

So I take it like this?

Batt capacity=4.2Ah

Adaptor=1.8A

I use a voltmeter to check the amount discharged left eg. 1.2Ah

((4.2 - 1.2) ÷ 1.8) = 1.6 + 10% = 1.8hrs of charge?

Lol~ I'm just guessing, please hit me if I'm wrong...
                        Current Blink²:

History Blink²:
                        Belt-CP
                        Walkera-#60

Nate Waddoups

Comment

So I take it like this?

Batt capacity=4.2Ah

Adaptor=1.8A

I use a voltmeter to check the amount discharged left eg. 1.2Ah

((4.2 - 1.2) ÷ 1.8) = 1.6 + 10% = 1.8hrs of charge?

Lol~ I'm just guessing, please hit me if I'm wrong...
                          Can you check a batt capacity that way? Sorry, I'm no electronics person but so far I've never heard you can check capacity or remaining charge that way.

Comment

Yah hor, I'm not too, I heard lipo can be measured that way (manual cell balancing) but not sure about lead acid cells. There must be some indication your charger cuts off...
                            Current Blink²:

History Blink²:
                            Belt-CP
                            Walkera-#60

Nate Waddoups

Comment

Yah hor, I'm not too, I heard lipo can be measured that way (manual cell balancing) but not sure about lead acid cells. There must be some indication your charger cuts off...
                              Better have some pros to answer this. My charger cuts off when it detects the batt's full. On what parameters, I don't know. Hahahaha...that's the reason all my chargers have auto cut off. I think those power adapters, while cost effective, puts too many question marks to the charging process. I just want plug and play!

Comment

Working...
                              X