Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY dc PSU from pc power supply

hi all,

i'm on the way of doing this. I have just gotten a P4 power supply which supplying 12v @10a.

I cant power on the psu when shorted pin 14(green) with ground. there is 1 2x2 square connector must be connected to mainboard then I can power up.

any idea any1 how to mid this power suply?

Originally posted by agp
    hi all,

i'm on the way of doing this. I have just gotten a P4 power supply which supplying 12v @10a.

I cant power on the psu when shorted pin 14(green) with ground. there is 1 2x2 square connector must be connected to mainboard then I can power up.

any idea any1 how to mid this power suply?
    You need loading on the 5v line.

Comment

Originally posted by Artyspec
      You need loading on the 5v line.

i tried to connect some device like cd-rom. but still cant.

Comment

Hi

So far I haven't see any Computer PSU that require you to load down the 5V in order to power on.

I even have a ATX PSU at my desk that I use to power a Computer Fan when weather is hot. I only tap the 12V and short 2 wires.

For your case, it could be:
        1. You short/connect the wrong wire to power it. Is the PSU fan running?
        2. The PSU is spoilt/damage. The easiest way to tell is to connect it to a motherboard and try to power it up. Even with motherboard and u cannot power it up, then the PSU is spoilt.

SH

Comment

I think the loading is to stabilise the voltage. Not sure, but since some ppl do it, no harm just following suit, so i did it. Works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet
            Hi

So far I haven't see any Computer PSU that require you to load down the 5V in order to power on.

I even have a ATX PSU at my desk that I use to power a Computer Fan when weather is hot. I only tap the 12V and short 2 wires.

For your case, it could be:
            1. You short/connect the wrong wire to power it. Is the PSU fan running?
            2. The PSU is spoilt/damage. The easiest way to tell is to connect it to a motherboard and try to power it up. Even with motherboard and u cannot power it up, then the PSU is spoilt.

SH
            this psu abit funny. lol. connect 1 of the 2x2 m/b cable then can power on.

i tried another power supply. can power on w/o need to connect any cable.

is it normal once 1 removed the shorted pin from the green and black cable, the power supply is off?

Comment

PSB modification

Hi,

Found this PSB modification thread interesting. Hope you find it useful too.

Heli
              Honey Bee CP2 : Sold (Maiden:17 Dec 05)
              Trex 450XL (CDE) : MM450TH, Quark 33A, GY401, JR RS10DS (Maiden : Align Frame - 1 Jul 06; SuperFrame - 29 Aug 06)

Plane
              Estarter : Align 450s, Align 25A, Electron 6 (Maiden :16 Sep 06)

PT-17w : Sold
              Buggy
              Acme NB 16 : Half 8 Nitro (Maiden :23 Dec 06)

Transmtter : JR PCM 9X II, Aggressor SRX
              Charger : Tahmazo T15
              Balancer : TP205
              Battery :Thunder Power, FullRiver, Warbird

Comment

Yup. once you remove the 2 shorting pins, the power will go off.

SH

Comment

thx guys. got to start work.haha

Comment

Working...
                  X