Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T15 charger with 12v 2A DC adapter

hi all, can i use my T15 with the 12v 2A DC adapter? or how many A dc adapter i should be using?

i charging my batt at 5A.

5A charging with 2A adapter is most probably a nono, unless the batt ur charging is less than around 4.5V.(while charging). Your PSU must be able to supply the power(watts) needed to charge your battery.P=IV where I is current, V is voltage. Therefore ur current adapter is 24Watts and you can only charge at less than 24Watts.

Comment

What type of battery are you charging and voltage, capacity?

Ideally for a 100% efficient charger you can charge at 5A if the CHARGING voltage required is less than 4.8V. Like many things in practice, a more realistic figure would be 80%. Charging voltage varies with time and is always higher than the battery voltage as it is required to pump in the set current.

So, you could do either of the following:
      1. Charge @ 2A - takes longer but won't produce so much heat!
      2. Charge @ 5A using a 12V 5A or more power supply (looks like PC or laptop supply)

With a lead acid battery -- A safe MAX charging current should be about 20% of capacity.. The absolute max current depends on the max charging voltage of the battery and charging at higher current = prone to damage and require monitoring of temperature!

With LiPos you will need to restart the charging process when using a lower charging rate due to the built-in safety 1hr timer. eg.

To charge a 5000mah Lipo pack:
      1. Start charging at 2A
      2. [1 hr later] Start charging again at 2A if not full yet
      3. [another 1 hr later] Start charging yet again at 2A if not full yet
      4. [up to another hr later] charge completed.

Comment

Originally posted by hosch
        What type of battery are you charging and voltage, capacity?

Ideally for a 100% efficient charger you can charge at 5A if the CHARGING voltage required is less than 4.8V. Like many things in practice, a more realistic figure would be 80%. Charging voltage varies with time and is always higher than the battery voltage as it is required to pump in the set current.

So, you could do either of the following:
        1. Charge @ 2A - takes longer but won't produce so much heat!
        2. Charge @ 5A using a 12V 5A or more power supply (looks like PC or laptop supply)

With a lead acid battery -- A safe MAX charging current should be about 20% of capacity.. The absolute max current depends on the max charging voltage of the battery and charging at higher current = prone to damage and require monitoring of temperature!

With LiPos you will need to restart the charging process when using a lower charging rate due to the built-in safety 1hr timer. eg.

To charge a 5000mah Lipo pack:
        1. Start charging at 2A
        2. [1 hr later] Start charging again at 2A if not full yet
        3. [another 1 hr later] Start charging yet again at 2A if not full yet
        4. [up to another hr later] charge completed.
        hi hi, i charging 6-cell battery 7.2v 3300mah-4200mah. but anywae i have just diy a PC psu 12v rated @13A. guess it should be sufficient for 5A charging ba?

Comment

Originally posted by agp
          hi hi, i charging 6-cell battery 7.2v 3300mah-4200mah. but anywae i have just diy a PC psu 12v rated @13A. guess it should be sufficient for 5A charging ba?
          yes

Comment

Working...
          X