Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe Li-ion Power Source - my new power source

Didn't want to wait for the A123Systems and sold off all my Lipo ( someone is ahppy )

I found an good alternative safe power source but only at 1100mah and weight about30% more then TP.

But is is safe. Check it out.

Battery manufacturer design a large, scalable product line using the Battery Council International standards and form factors

Jonathan

Sapion cells.... metal encased. do not burn or explode once pierced..... do they have it locally? I've searched on RCG on these cells before... they are becoming affordable and some use it in their planes.... lighter than nimH i think.... been around since 02 or '03...

Comment

Saphion

MicroHeli-Nut,

Pilot started in Feb 03, and believe the cells was shipping in May 05. It really start getting traction in RC Group in Aug 05. They just got patent in Feb 06.
      I just found it last night.

Watch this video if you have not...http://www.valence.com/SafetyVideo.asp

The best thing is the same Lipo charger, ESC, balancer can be use with this cells.

Mine should be on its way and order from www.power-motion.com
      They sell individual cells in strip of 6,8,10,12 cells. Very easy to do your own packs.

Jonathan

Comment

What will be the recommended pack for my current setup? 3S or 4S; 1P or 2P?

450TH
        CC35
        TP 3S 2100
        no ext. BEC.
        *~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~*
        I am no Expert in 3D nor Sports flying. If you need advices on crashing, I am an Expert!

Active :T-rex450SE like, 450TH 11T & CC35, R146ip, HS65MG*3, GY401 & HS81MG, mH ProFrame & blings, TP3S2100prolite & 7CHP 72MHz mode 2, EOS 7i & LBA6. MiniZ.

Mike

Comment

Not proven yet

Originally posted by Helicopter
          What will be the recommended pack for my current setup? 3S or 4S; 1P or 2P?

450TH
          CC35
          TP 3S 2100
          no ext. BEC.
          Not sure, not prven yet...and this is the question most people asked....watch this space. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7&page=27&pp=15

From specification using KC spreadsheet....you should use a 4S Saphion 1100mah to get a performance between an 3S to an 4S TP. But you will scarfied for flight time.

The jury on flight time is not clear looking at the specification alone..... we all know what happen when you push you Lipo too much what will happen. And also the saphion seems to be able to handle the discharge voltage...

I would take a bet that 4S saphion 1100mah cell (18-20C cont and peak 30C for 30sec ) would be between 3S and 4S TP2100 while only lost 30% flight time. And also much long cell life then TP2100.

Pricing:
          - TP2100 3S at $126
          - 4S Saphion 1100mah at $52 ( US$8 per cell @exh rate 1.62 )

And the final selling point for me is, it wouldn't burst into flames and release toxic gas in front of my family.

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by JYHELI
            Didn't want to wait for the A123Systems and sold off all my Lipo ( someone is ahppy )

I found an good alternative safe power source but only at 1100mah and weight about30% more then TP.

But is is safe. Check it out.

Battery manufacturer design a large, scalable product line using the Battery Council International standards and form factors

Jonathan
            With the bat spec as 3.2V, how can a Lipo charger that work for constant V Constant C for 3.7V Lipo work on this new cell?

The cell also spec as max 4.2V, so most of the time the cell will be on max charge in this case?

Do share with us your result once you have the cell. Are you getting the p version for high discharge?

Comment

Jon,
              I'm no batt expert here.... but with the cells made that way, is heat dissipation better or worst compared to the naked lipo packs? I'vve not read ur link yet, 1 more paper to go. And I'm sorry to hear about ur scary incident with the battery. I think if it was me, I'd be very very shaken. I freak out whenever I spark my batts on connection.

Comment

specification

Attached is the cell specification.

Comment

A readily available alternative is to go bigger in size and make use of the Milwaukees V28.

Comment

ops

Originally posted by ammo
                    A readily available alternative is to go bigger in size and make use of the Milwaukees V28.
                    different materials.

Comment

extracted post

extract:
                      "Made up a 4 cell 12.8v Saphion pack with the remaining cells for my Estarter yesterday and flew it today.

At 180 gms The weight is 20gms more than my 8 cell GP1100 pack. But what a difference in performance an extra cell makes. With a Phoenix CC25 and geared Himax 2025-4100 with a 9x4 prop. It draws around 18Amps WOT and the Estarter does unlimited vertical from ROG. This is an Estarter with attitude."

Comment

Originally posted by JYHELI
                        different materials.
                        Hi can share how much they charge for shipping? and they accept Visa?

Comment

Dt8666

Originally posted by DT8666
                          Hi can share how much they charge for shipping? and they accept Visa?
                          VISA work for me. I order 24 cells and was charge US$8 according to the invoice. The process call for up to 28 days for shipment, but someone from Australia got his order in 6 days from ENgland. I check for express, not worth it. 2 working days in transit express service £75.30
                          4 working days in transit expidited service £64.66

To me US$8 is a good deal for shipment, cost of 1 cell.

Note: I just order yesterday and Simon was very quick in my enquiry of express shipment. Response in 12 hours.

A lot of your previous questions was answer in the 29 pages of posts...just didn;t have time ogo through the righ one and point it out to you.

Jonathan

Comment

Caution

Originally posted by MicroHeli-Nut
                            Jon,
                            I'm no batt expert here.... but with the cells made that way, is heat dissipation better or worst compared to the naked lipo packs? I'vve not read ur link yet, 1 more paper to go. And I'm sorry to hear about ur scary incident with the battery. I think if it was me, I'd be very very shaken. I freak out whenever I spark my batts on connection.
                            MicroHeli-Nut,

A word of caustion, always have those handy fire-extinguisher ( you can get from SIngPost) around when dealing with Lipo at home. I used it to put out the frames..and be very careful the real big frames happend a couple of minutes after the intial frame.

There is only one power soucre for me now after the incident. And the only statment that need to convince me from my wife is "It is good that you are at home when the Lipo burst out, can you imagine when this happen the kids are only one at home".

Enjoy your hobby, but do take precaution.

I do want to point out that so far all incidents I have on Lipo ( yes...this is the second time, first was a quick short circuit when I am alone ) was due to mis-handling.

regards,
                            Jonathan

Comment

Power-Motion vacation period

DT8666,

In case you want to place order.....take note of their vacation. Go this through email exchange with Simon.

Simon Sheldon

Amberjac Projects Vacations 2006; 5th to 12th May and 24th July to 8th August

Director
                              Amberjac Projects Ltd
                              Unit 14, Henry Bells Yard
                              Dysart Road, Grantham
                              Lincolnshire, England
                              NG31 7DB

regards,
                              Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X