Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building the Quickflick II DLG glider

Inspired by Adnan and Joe's DLG glider, I was tempted to build one myself to see if DLG RC flyers could really develop a bigger arm.
    A few weeks ago, I saw Joe having fun with his Garnet at the CD field. Although the air time was relatively shorter compared to other type of gliding, I would think that flying the graceful and light weight glider with nothing but lumps of raising heat pockets would be interesting.
    I took a look at Joe's scratch build Garnet and got a few tips from him on the build.
    I started to purchase the raw parts and SMS Joe on his opinion on the booms and CF, etc. In his reply, he told me to build a 3m glider instead!!
    Well, the 3m sailplane is also in my wish list of builds.....I may build it one day.

For now, I had a slow start to building the Quickflick II. This glider is about 1.2m, designed by Pldaniels. There is a website that you could order the short kit. I think it is quite cheap, about US$18??
    However, the postage and the idea of still having to buy the boom and cut balsa lead me to scratch building on my own. FYI, a short kit means only the major parts are supplied. You'll have to get your own spars, booms, webs, etc..

With the little time that I have, I would think that this build may take a few more weeks.

I got the plan from the RCgroup build thread that Pldaniels started. Made the printouts and pasted the jigsaw pieces together for a full size plan. As usual, I started with the Wings first.
    I made extra printouts of the ribs and started cutting the total of 40 ribs. The cutting was done with the rib profile pasted on the 1/16 balsa with normal glue stick from my daughter's pencil box. Little or no sanding was needed. I cut all the ribs with a very sharp NT cutter without having to scrap any ribs.
    The original plans call out for 1/16 "D" box sheeting. I modified and plan to use 1/32 instead. With this change, I had to change the ribs profile a little bit. There are other changes, which I plan to do, to further reduce the weight of the glider.
    I cut out all the spars and the LE. Most parts of the wings are ready for assembly now.

MS

More prep work

Before making the assembly of the wing, I read through the original build instructions from PLDaniels.
    According to the instructions, the TE was to be cut from 1/8" balsa and to be sanded to the TE taper after the ribs are glued in place.
    I decided to prepare the TE first by making the taper before assembly of the ribs. This way, I do not run the risk of damaging the ribs after they are glued in.
    The other advantage is that the TE is much easier to sand on its own. From the pictures, you can see the before and after the sanding process.
    I lay down the TE onto the plan and cut out the notches for the ribs.

MS

Comment

Good to see some progress in your build man. we can have a DLG meet up at a field somewhere. Pick one nice hot afternoon, bring on the caps and the sun block (at least SPF 35).

Cheers,
      Adnan
      Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
      ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
      Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Dont forget to jio me ah.... Will sure go if i can make it
        sigpic
        FASSTGot Quard?

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask View Post
          Good to see some progress in your build man. we can have a DLG meet up at a field somewhere. Pick one nice hot afternoon, bring on the caps and the sun block (at least SPF 35).

Cheers,
          Adnan

Well, it's going to take some more efforts. Hopefully, I can find some time for myself.
          BTW, it is true that a person's arm can develop bigger muscles with more exercise on the DLG?

Comment

Originally posted by msc View Post
            Well, it's going to take some more efforts. Hopefully, I can find some time for myself.
            BTW, it is true that a person's arm can develop bigger muscles with more exercise on the DLG?
            Nice work kar man, More DLGers to hunt thermals together.

erm its not so much the arm, you will develop a firmer back and butt!
            what's next?

Comment

Maybe we can form a Fiddler crab club.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
                Maybe we can form a Fiddler crab club.

Eh...where is the firmer back and the shapely butt in this Fiddler?

Anyway, you guys just made me shift my build speed up another gear...pressure!!

Comment

I'm also currently building a SuperGee/taboo/dunno what clone for Jeremy. +1 for the number of DLG flyers .

Cheers,
                  Adnan
                  ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts

sigpic

Comment

Thanks ar Adnan, from this lazy (n bz) bum

Comment

Ok, I count 6 D/HLG gliding enthusiasts......anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by msc View Post
                        Eh...where is the firmer back and the shapely butt in this Fiddler?

Anyway, you guys just made me shift my build speed up another gear...pressure!!
                        errm, ...why do I suddenly have this image of Hellboy inside my head ?
                        Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit View Post
                          Ouch!

Let's all leave Kah Marn's build thread alone. Way OT already

Cheers,
                          Adnan

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit View Post

Tony, does it mean that you'll have another DLG in the works?

Comment

Wing assembly

Now that all the major parts of the wings are ready, I begin to assemble the parts of the wings together.
                              The bottom spar was glued onto the bottom sheeting first. I then tape down the TE onto the plan. I did not use pins to hold down the TE as it was explained in the original build thread that the resulting pin holes could lead to structural weakness.
                              All the ribs were glued in place. As the curvature of the bottom airfoil was sloping up towards the LE, I had a piece of spare sheeting to shim the bottom sheeting so that there is close contact with the bottom ribs.
                              The top spar was then added.
                              As the weather is so damn HOT these days, I was sweating all over. Who says building planes don't give you a good workout!!

MS

Comment

Working...
                              X