Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msc View Post
    Tony, does it mean that you'll have another DLG in the works?
    Everybody's about DLGs (while waiting for the next NE Monsoon) ...even Joe is getting his predator ready ! Very tempting !

...But I shall resist !

Originally posted by randomtask View Post
    Ouch!

Let's all leave Kah Marn's build thread alone. Way OT already

Cheers,
    Adnan
    What I mean't was that Joe has this image of the fiddler crab after a few sessions of DLG'ing.

Since Msc mentioned "firmer back and the shapely butt" ...I just can't help but conjure up images of Hellboy tossing up DLGs into the sky with his Alley Opps right arm (Cigar in mouth)

Pardon me if I'm ignorance/insensitive about the 'Ouch!' part.
    Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Hehe, I thought you were talking about my Hellboy Yak project which has been on hold indefinitely and moving slowly.

Cheers,
      Adnan
      Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
      ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
      Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask View Post
        Hehe, I thought you were talking about my Hellboy Yak project which has been on hold indefinitely and moving slowly.

Cheers,
        Adnan
        kekekek ! ...who am I to comment on your yak project when I'm so well known at PFW as the king of 'projects on hold' and NIB monster !
        Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Saw the wings at your place the other night, very light!

I didn't realise your collection of planes and gadgets had grown so huge!

Comment

more on the Wings

OK, the 2 halves of the semi-complete wings had been sitting for too long, more work needs to be done.
            The top D-box sheeting was glued in place. The wing tips are from 1/16 balsa glued between the top and bottom spar. With the additional piece of cross grain 1/32 at the LE half, the flimsy wing tip seemed stiffer. the LE and the wing tips were then sanded to it's shape, now the airfoil began to look more like the real airfoil!
            The original plan calls for flat CF ribbon to be glued both on top and bottom of the wing at the spar. I started with the bottom. This was the first time I used CF ribbon. I used CA to bond the ribbon to the surface of the D-box sheeting and a piece of plastic sheet to press in the CA into the ribbon. This is to prevent the excess CA to blob up. The idea is to get the ribbon with the CA to be as flat as possible. I noticed that the CF ribbon is made up of many, many strands of tiny hair-like CF strips. It was not easy to work with, but after a while I got the hang of it.
            After completing the bottom side of the wing, I noticed that the wing was very stiff. I decided to save some weight and deviated from the original plan and not apply the CF ribbon on the top side of the wing. After all, the Oracover to be applied later would provide additional strength to the wings also.

MS

Comment

Great work, Kah Marn;

Can share how heavy is the wing right now?

DLGs seem more and more tempting!
              "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm View Post
                Great work, Kah Marn;

Can share how heavy is the wing right now?

DLGs seem more and more tempting!

Hi Julian,
                I don't have a weighing scale at home, but when I hold the wings on my hands, I think they weigh close to nothing
                The only thing that I am concern with is the CF boom. I got the 8mm tube from SHS, when I took it out from my store room yesterday, it is about 2-3x heavier than both the wings. I am thinking of looking for Arrow shafts, anybody got any ideas where can I buy them?

Yes, DLG/HLG is tempting.....so, come on, start building!

Comment

Kah Marn once your quickflick and Jeremy's SuperGee done, we can have a DLG meet up soon. Joe's P2 is almost ready.
                  what's next?

Comment

Yeah that'll be cool.

Pang you bring your vid cam, I also bring mine and we can take vids and review launch techniques. Can also share flying techniques and thermal spotting. (Apparently some guys in RCG can actually "see" the thermals with polarized sunglasses.)

Cheers,
                    Adnan
                    Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
                    ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
                    Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mazon View Post
                      Kah Marn once your quickflick and Jeremy's SuperGee done, we can have a DLG meet up soon. Joe's P2 is almost ready.

YES, most definitely! The great DLG meet up
                      Wah lau...I feel the pressure to speed up my build already

Comment

Continue build

OK, guys, between the little time for flying RC planes and building gliders, I choose to build. When I see the pieces coming together, it has a very nice therapeutic effect on me! From my schedule, it seems like I am only left with a few hours in a week for the build.
                        Picking up where I left off, I epoxied the 2 halves of the wings together. From the plans, there is a large dihedral on the wings. Again, deviating from the original plan, I did not follow the plan in using the center joiner piece, whereby the center section of the wing is flat. Instead, choose to join the root ribs of the wings directly together. However, the same dihedral angle was maintained.
                        The center section has a "Double-sheeting" of about 2" on each side of the wings. This was simply done by applying a second sheeting on top of the wing. Therefore, the center section will have an airfoil of about 1/32" thicker. (see 1st picture)
                        After the root ribs were joined, the center section was glassed with thinned epoxy and glass cloth. In preparing for the glassing, I cut out the correctly sized glass cloth, plastic sheet and foam cushioning sheet. All these preparation have to be done before mixing the epoxy.
                        The slow cure epoxy was mixed and thinned with alcohol. I used as little as possible to cover the area under the glass cloth marked out on the wings.
                        After the glass cloth was sheeted on the wings, the plastic sheet was used to cover the glassed area and the foam pieces were pressed against the wings with as much cloth peg as possible
                        The epoxy took about half a day to cure. When I removed the plastic sheet, the surface was nice and smooth, a bit of sanding was required to remove some small bumps.

Comment

Fins

While waiting for the epoxy in the glass cloth to cure, I prepared and cut out the vertical and horizontal fins. These were from 1/16" medium balsa. As they are quite soft, and with the vertical fin in contact with the ground during landing, I will be beefing up the fins with either glassing the entire fin or just the perimeter of the fins to save weight.
                          Looking at others build, I think I may need to add some CF to further stiffen the fins too!
                          I spent sometime sourcing for Arrow shaft for the boom. The 7mm CF tube I got from SHS seemed a tat too heavy. After many phone calls, I managed to get a piece of A/C/C shaft. It is super light and stiff!! With light alloy inside and CF outside. From the specifications, the full length of 31.5" is 234 grains. I calculated in terms of grams, it would be 15.1g. I am only using 22", therefore, my boom may be about 10g only!
                          Holding the CF tube and the Arrow shaft, I felt that the CF tube may be about twice the weight of the Arrow.
                          Compared to the regular CF tubes from our LHS, this is the most beautiful shaft I have seen.

Comment

I may be wrong but some DLG shafts are actually fishing rod shafts. I was told mine is

Comment

Eaahhh, fishing rod? Wouldn't it be too whippy? The idea is to have the boom stiff and light. I would think that Arrow shaft fits the bill here, as they have to be torsionally stiff, straight and light. Also, the impact strength of an Arrow have to be great to penetrate and kill the target

Will some fishing enthusiasts correct me if I am wrong, the fishing rod is to be flexible by virtue of its intended use.

Comment

I don't think you are wrong, just that when there is not much alternative, some creative brain went on overload and chose the next best thing.

One thing I am pretty sure - the plain LHS carbon rods are not suitable. Way too heavy.

Comment

Working...
                                X