Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great! Finally a topic close to my heart :>

Originally posted by Tony View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. There is nothing more unrealistic than watching a WW1 biplane flying blasting around at what appears to be near sub sonic speeds.

There are two parts to flying scale. Buiilding a plane to get a high static score is one half of it and flying iit in such a manner that appears true to scale is the other.
    Hi Tony,

I'm really glad there is a group out there interested in scale R/C planes. Count me in too :>

I guess for me, and maybe some of you here, appreciation of scale subjects arose from doing plastic scale kits. With scale R/C planes, many a time we have to tone down on the 'scales details' and focus somewhat more on making the model practical for actual flying. But I really take my hat off to those guys at the Scale Masters, Top Gun, etc competitions, where it's hard to tell the difference between model and the real thing. Gosh!

For me personally, if I may add to your comments above, is that there's also a real 'satisfaction factor' that comes from building a scale or near-scale flying model. The 'icing on the cake' is when you see your model fly properly as well.

On the topic of our fellow modeller LOYN, yes he is no stranger to scale modelling. I've seen his works up close . I'll make sure he knows about this thread :>

As for me personally, I'm now into 'small scale' subjects, between 20"-30" span planes. My hope is to be able to operate out of small 'fieldlets'. At this size it can be quite a challenge to keep wing-loadings down. I understand they also tend to be more twitchy to control input. Also, I tend to prefer coming up with my own plans rather than buying ARFs or RTFs. Might consider a kit down the road though.... Think you can tell I'm an old 'stick-n-tissue' scratchbuild type of modeller :>

Talk about Pat Tritle. Coincidence. I was just at the Dumas website before coming to this forum and I found just about all the kits I looked at there were designed by him.

Ooops, I'm long-winded again. Better stop here. OK, let's keep this thread alive!

Cheers,
    Pete
    ... It's in the Details... :>

Comment

Hi to all who have responded,

I guess we need to discuss how to move on from here as a group. We know that there is quite a bit of interest in building and flying scale planes here in Singapore and we'd all like to get more out of the enjoyment of this hobby. Suggestions on how we should move on from here is kindly requested.

I have copied a posting by Viper in another related thread on this forum where he suggests that form a club and work towards a competition to give impetus towards improve on our building/flying skills.

Originally posted by Viper View Post
      Hi Preferscale,

About 9 or 10 years ago, we had the inaugural National Aeromodelling Competition headed by the NAA, whereby every club organised their respective types of events. RMS had the F3As, BBFC the heli and YFC the control line. I was the VP for SMAA at that time and we held the first Scale event known as F4C at BBFC and the following year at RMS.

We had an encouraging number of participants, especially the year 2000, whereby we had flyers from Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore competing.

All the aircrafts were meticulously built and flown. We even have static judging and flight judging done. Those were the days....sigh....

I know there are many good builders around and many of them have scale kits lying around. Probably one of the reason why they are not built is, there's no objective in building it. I have personally experienced the thrill of building a plane for competition and that brings out the xest and enthusiam to built it.

Let's see how many of us are willing to gather at an official club to form this long lost group.
      I support this motion. I'd like to add that we want to take baby steps first and start with Sports or Stand off scale and work towards a higher level of scale modeling gradually as we accumulate experience - both in preparation of models for the competition as well as in the organising/judging etc of such an event. It won't be easy.

From the above, Viper has experience of organising such an event. He'll probably chip in soon with his take on the subject.

Lets keep this ball rolling. I'd like very much to get a scale group going. It'll be much more fun and the standard and quality of the building/flying etc can only get better over time.

Cheers.

Tony
      Last edited by Tony; 04-04-2009, 03:14 PM.
      To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by nic View Post
        If this is what Loyn can do with an ARF, when he has only got 20% to work on - the bulk of an ARFs structure is very much fixed and unchangable - imagine what he can do if he had the other 80% if he built from scratch . I'm sure his creations will come with working fowler flaps, trim tabs, functional lights, all sorts of working hatches, scale instruments that work and all manner of bling blings. We need people like this to help promote scale building and flying here in Singapore.

Confucius

Comment

Talk about Pat Tritle. Coincidence. I was just at the Dumas website before coming to this forum and I found just about all the kits I looked at there were designed by him.
          Hi Pete,

Pat Tritle's designs are available in 2 main forms. Most of his designs are available as short kits directly from him. However, some of his designs have been turned into full kits by 2 companies, namely Dumas and Dare Design and Engineering. I have 2 Dumas kits by him, namely the Bird Dog and the Dragon Rapide (bought from Tower Hobby). There is a built thread in rcgroups now on the Rapide, and it will be a real beauty when done. His DC6 and B17 designs are available as full kits under Dare (but no covering and decals provided as customers often have their own preference). I believe there is also a Pat Tritle Appreciation thread in RCgroups under scale electric planes where builders share pictures of their completed kits. Regards.

Comment

Hi to all who have responded,

I guess we need to discuss how to move on from here as a group. We know that there is quite a bit of interest in building and flying scale planes here in Singapore and we'd all like to get more out of the enjoyment of this hobby. Suggestions on how we should move on from here is kindly requested.

I have copied a posting by Viper in another related thread on this forum where he suggests that form a club and work towards a competition to give impetus towards improve on our building/flying skills......

Tony

Hi Tony and all scale fanatics,

Frustrating weekend, not being able to log on to any internet due to damaged phone cables. Now taking a few minutes off in office to read this interesting threads.

As Tony has said, we are keen to look into forming a SIG, Scale Interest Group for all form of modelling, whereby we can share tips & tricks in scaling up or beautifying our models, scale events for beginners, intermediate and maybe experts..we can even have weekly gathering for workshop, scale talks etc....

Let's have some open views and ideas and I will share some thoughts in a while. Got to get back to work

Comment

Perhaps we can arrange to meet somewhere convenient for kopi to discuss. It may be a small group to start with but its a start. Would be an opportunity to meet fellow scale fanatics. We'll then publish on this forum if we come up with some solid ideas. My two cents worth.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

Was trawling for UK scale sites when I chanced upon this site.

Fighter Aces

They've got some intersting small scale aircraft suitable for both ic and electric. Their big ones are even more interesting.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

Perhaps we can arrange to meet somewhere convenient for kopi to discuss. It may be a small group to start with but its a start. Would be an opportunity to meet fellow scale fanatics. We'll then publish on this forum if we come up with some solid ideas. My two cents worth.

Tony
                  Hi Tony,

Kopi talk, sounds good. I'm in. Where's good for everybody?

Attendees:
                  1. Viper

Since this weekend long long, how about Thursday night?

Comment

Hi Tony,

Kopi talk, sounds good. I'm in. Where's good for everybody?

Attendees:
                    1. Viper
                    2. Preferscale (to be confirmed as I will be free only after 9.30 pm due to wife's programme)

Comment

Attendees:
                      1. Viper
                      2. Preferscale (to be confirmed as I will be free only after 9.30 pm due to wife's programme)
                      3.vortices

count me in guys.

Comment

Attendees:
                        1. Viper
                        3.vortices

Can I join even I don't own and build scale?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodflower View Post
                          Attendees:
                          1. Viper
                          3.vortices

Can I join even I don't own and build scale?

Hi Bloodflower,

Sure you are welcome to join. More voices more views and opinion for all to consider.

Comment

Attendees:
                            1. Viper
                            3.vortices
                            4. Bloodflower

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bloodflower View Post
                              Attendees:
                              1. Viper
                              3.vortices
                              4. Bloodflower
                              5. Tony

Thanks
                              I'm thinking of a nice place to meet. Will get back when inspiration hits me.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

Hi

Would love to join you guys but my curfew starts at 1930hrs. Anyway nice to see Scale flying in SG.
                                Go back in one piece to fly another day.
                                Having fun yet?
                                36.39mhz
                                40.77mhz

Comment

Working...
                                X