Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying Scale in Singapore

Following a discussion on flying scale in Singapore over several other threads on this forum, it was decided that we open a fresh thread to call for other modelers interested in scale modeling to join in, with the idea that if there is enough, we could start on the genesis of a scale special interest group. By scale, I mean any form of flying scale modeling eg. sports scale, scale gliders, etc etc.

So far, we've got:

preferscale
    Viper
    Nic
    Tony

We'll use this thread for just about any general discussion about scale modeling/construction.
    To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Originally posted by loyn View Post
    count me in , I love scale but no $ for scale

so build with what I have to "make" it look scale

so good if can stick with ppl who can do scale

c c look look also happy

Hi Loyn,

I hope you don't mind it but I've transferred your reply to this thread which I think is more appropriate. Don't really know how to do it so I justs did a simple copy and past.

Going into scale does not need to be expensive. Nor does it have to be big either. On the other end of the scale (pun intended) you have kits/plans from the likes of Pat Trittle, Peter Rake, etc. These are usually planes for S400 sized motors or equivalent that are not too difficult to learn to build and will fly great.

There are many manufactuers that make small sports scale planes, originally meant for i/c power (usually 0.49 to 0.10 sized engines) that are relatively affordable and will build into a nice flying sports scale plane. Many can be converted to electric quite easily and they'll usually fly better with electric power.

House of Balsa

Ryan Aircraft

Stevens Aeromodels

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by nic View Post
      me too!... I love building balsa kits, but have no skills to build scales...

So I tend to go for sports planes than scale.
      but still building is Fun.
      Hi Nic,

If there are sufficient numbers, I'm sure that there will be many who will be quite happy to contribute by conducting classes or provide instructional guides on this forum etc etc to help people start on constructing their own models. There is never a shortage of replies to queries about construction etc on this forum. All that is needed is to ask if you have a problem.

I'm just starting on scale myself but I'll be more than happy to share what I do know about basic construction techniques, covering, finishing etc. I had posted a number of instructional threads on covering with film etc but I think their gone now because the Flying Electric in Singapore forum folded up some time back. Will see if I can dig up some of the old photos I took for that series.

Confucius

Comment

Great to see such a thread. Me love scale planes, boats, tanks....
        Hope to see some pics of scale aircrafts from you guys just to add more visual impact to the thread.

Cheers
        TB

Comment

Tony.. Loyn has done quite a fair bit of very scale models. All very nicely done. The only diff is, the base model is could be anything, including an ARF, but heavily modified that no one can recognized it was an ARF foam plane. The planes he did can makes a laughing stock out of the RTF "scale planes" many buy at LHS. He posted some of his build threads in DH before.

As for myself, I am not that "artistic", and is practicing on improving that. Till then, my planes are more like covered and colored for ease of looking in the sky (and repairs) than looking scale.
          huh

Comment

Here's a sample from Mr Loyn: http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11614
            huh

Comment

Tony.. Loyn has done quite a fair bit of very scale models. All very nicely done. The only diff is, the base model is could be anything, including an ARF, but heavily modified that no one can recognized it was an ARF foam plane. The planes he did can makes a laughing stock out of the RTF "scale planes" many buy at LHS. He posted some of his build threads in DH before.

As for myself, I am not that "artistic", and is practicing on improving that. Till then, my planes are more like covered and colored for ease of looking in the sky (and repairs) than looking scale.
              Hi Nic,

Great to hear that. All are welcome to contribute. Photos, build reports, techniques, questions, queries................

Cheers.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

I've done some searching and found an old build report for a Pilot Zero kit I did some time back.

Pilot Zero 30 Build Link

Confucius

Comment

Nice thread here, I like to FLY SCALE rather than build a scale plane from scratch. Most of the planes I have are ARF or RTFs.

I'd love to talk about how to fly scale on about any planes out there. There are some flyers who bought scale warbirds, overpower and fly them super fast or doing silly stunts on it,for which, to each his own. */me shakes head & move on.

cheers!

my 2 cents
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Viewed the thread. Loyn did a splendid piece of work on an ARF.

Cheers.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

this is the cub I build some years ago, from GP, 20 size kit.

still flying it, but is totally worn out now...
                      huh

Comment

Originally posted by nixaad View Post
                        Nice thread here, I like to FLY SCALE rather than build a scale plane from scratch. Most of the planes I have are ARF or RTFs.

I'd love to talk about how to fly scale on about any planes out there. There are some flyers who bought scale warbirds, overpower and fly them super fast or doing silly stunts on it,for which, to each his own. */me shakes head & move on.

cheers!

my 2 cents
                        I couldn't agree with you more. There is nothing more unrealistic than watching a WW1 biplane flying blasting around at what appears to be near sub sonic speeds.

There are two parts to flying scale. Buiilding a plane to get a high static score is one half of it and flying iit in such a manner that appears true to scale is the other.

Confucius

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more. There is nothing more unrealistic than watching a WW1 biplane flying blasting around at what appears to be near sub sonic speeds.

There are two parts to flying scale. Buiilding a plane to get a high static score is one half of it and flying iit in such a manner that appears true to scale is the other.
                          Same sentiment. The problem with most of the rc scale planes is that they fly too fast to look real. One reason why I like Pat Tritle's designs is that he designed them light so that they can fly realistically. The down side is that they can't fly well or at all in windy condition. But when the wind is right, they float like the real thing.

With the lipo power available, it is also common to full throttle at take-off, causing the plane to leap into the air and climb steeply. On my GWS Tiger Moth, I like to take off at half (or slightly more) throttle, allowing the plane to gain speed naturally, lifting off the tail wheel first before doing a gradual climb skyward. Some may find this too slow and boring but for scale enthusiasts, it is the thrill of being able to simulate as close as possible the take off (and subsequently landing) of a real aircraft. Same thing as in my scale boats. Years ago when I was operating my tug at West Coast Pond, a passer by asked me whether I could go faster as he thought I was sailing too slowly. In fact at 1/48 scale, it was already moving faster than its scale speed. He couldn't see what I was seeing - that I derived my fun and enjoyment from seeing the realistic movement of the water as the displacement hull ploughed through it.

I also agree with Tony that in scale modelling (both planes and ships), half the fun is in building.

Comment

[QUOTE][this is the cub I build some years ago, from GP, 20 size kit.
                            /QUOTE]

Nic,

Nice plane. I bought this kit from NTC 1-2 years ago in anticipation of going into nitro (thinking of 4-stroke only) as well. However, after much consideration, eventually decided to stick to electric. I would still love to build this kit but with electric power. Would you or any one has any idea what would be a suitable BL motor, ESC and lipo combination for this bird? Thanks.

Comment

Thanks. I did manage to fly it with a Axi2217 10x5 prop, on 3S. It is a floater, but it is designed for an old heavy engine in front, @0.5hp. Even the current range of engine is a little too light. The spinner you see is actually a nose weight. The heaviest I can find at NTC.

It doesn't need a lot of power to fly, so when I converted it to EP, I had to add lots of dead weight since the 2217 is very small.

I got it back to a OS25FX (0.84hp). Over powered, but fun.
                              huh

Comment

Working...
                              X