Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Measure speed without radar gun article, here's how.

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, the link to the software is dead, is it still available? Thanks!

Comment

When I google "waveosscope" I get this.

get off your couch and do some research, it is all there.
      Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22 View Post
        When I google "waveosscope" I get this.

get off your couch and do some research, it is all there.
        Thank you very much. I wouldn't know it was called waveoscope.

Comment

Here is the translation.. good to know how it is measured.
          Wrong translation not my fault.. I don't read German.

Problem
          Often report Model Airplane Friends of the speed to reach their models. Unfortunately, the use of speed measuring methods are often imprecise or subjective. This program offers the possibility of an objective measurement without a special meter.

Solution
          All you need is a PC with sound card and a camcorder. The camcorder is frequent guest on any model aerodromes. Is it the flyby of a model at low altitudes and in short distance from the camcorder recorded, then located on the tape, the sound generated by the model, and this tone is subject to the Doppler effect. The Doppler effect changes the pitch as a function of flight speed of the model. When these measures pitch shift, one can find the flight speed of up to a few km / h precisely identified.
          (The procedure is only suitable for propeller or impeller models. The sound of jet engines or the hiss of sailors are subject to the same effects, but my software can not evaluate it.)

Realization
          At the airfield with the camcorder is a clean low flyby distance recorded. It is in a constant altitude with a constant engine setting (ie maximum) to fly.

At home, the camcorder output for the alarm to the audio input of the PC sound card connected. With the sound card belonging to the Tools or Windows resources board is then reviewed by the flyby of the recorded sound. This is a PCM-8-bit mono WAV-file is sufficient (telephone quality). Ten seconds should suffice.

The program WAVEosSCOPE can load WAV file, and the frequencies of the signal analyzed.

Differences to the program VSpectrum
          VSpectrum is easier to use but less accurate than WAVEosSCOPE. The measuring of WAVEosSCOPE depending on the setting is only 1 / 4 of the VSpectrum tolerances. It is versatile and sophisticated WAVEosSCOPE and the graphical representation is more readable.

The principal disadvantage of WAVEosSCOPE is that you begin by hearing a short WAV file from the camcorder video recording needs. Even the record of this file is cumbersome and lengthy than the entire measurement with VSpectrum. You will be responsible for overtime but with a more precise result rewarded.

Score
          The WAV file is using an FFT of a spectral analysis. The signal strength of individual frequencies over the time course of the WAV files will be displayed graphically. The frequency range is from 0 Hz (left graphics margin) up to half the sampling frequency of the wave. Sample frequencies from 8 kHz to have in practice proved adequate.

You can choose between three-dimensional (see top picture), two-dimensional (bottom) and select-dimensional representation. In addition, the number of filter bands, and thus the accuracy of the analysis of 128 up to 1024 setting. On the effect is of course the 3-dimensional setting, but most convenient is the 2-dimensional, which also builds up the speed.

The switching is done by clicking in the graphics-mode field of the program window.

The graphical output is then complete the picture. The serpent lines represent the Doppler shift in the model flyby second thing selects a snake clearly visible line in the right half of image (higher accuracy), and click the left mouse button to the left part of the snake line, and with the right mouse button on the right part of the same snake line . The program marked the points with a green and a red line shows the sound spectrum of points.

Above the graphic is then calculated flyby speed and accuracy of the calculation is displayed.

WAVEosSCOPE with stereo files, and both audio tracks with different colors simultaneously. This is advantageous if the left and right microphone with a large distance along the route, and from the model plane to be flown over each other. Then, the Doppler shift in the two channels after each other on. Now you can calculate the speed for maximum frequency shift of both channels to use and achieve an improved measurement accuracy.
          I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Originally posted by etman View Post
            Thank you very much. I wouldn't know it was called waveoscope.
            Scroll to the top. Can you see the attachments people put in? There was not 1 but a few. Click on it and READ.

That is how I found the software in the first place reading German sites clicking on attachments. It takes a bit of effort to read and research, sure I understand why you miss it...
            Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Gosh I didn't know this was a 4 year old thread being dug out ??
              I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Working...
              X