Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GWS Spitfire downed by an eagle

Guys, I am not talking about another plane mid air crash.

I am talking about a big feathered bird that decided to strike my plane right out of the air!!!

Here's what happened.

Just 1 hr ago I decide to fly my foamie spit. 1st batt no hitch. No birds too. Weather was great for early afternoon. greycast clouds, not windy. Perfect for flying planes right?? So plug in 2nd batt and launch lah!

Suddenly, this bird appeared. I knew it was an eagle as it glided mostly without flapping. Nice bird, I thought. Quite Big, I thought. Continued flying did a loop and noticed that this bird was following my plane. I decided to steer clear of it and manage to keep my distance for a few more seconds. I had to turn again at some point so just after I leveled off I thought I had space to fly past this bird despite the bird having the same altitude.

How wrong I was!! It happenned so quickly. The bird turned out to be WAAYYY BIGGER. It zeroed on my spit and 'clawed/smashed' my plane in mid-air. At point of impact, the eagle's wing span is about twice the span of my spit!!!

Then I thought it wanted my plane for lunch as it went down in pieces. Guess what?! It BOCHAP my plane a just flew away. I think it didn't even gave it a second glance.

Am I lucky or what?? What do you think?

ps. will post pics of spit's remains later...
    Fly Hard! Fly Safe!

We've had some encounters with eagles too but usually they are quite wary of the planes and try to stay away. Not sure why yours kenna.. Maybe you were flying too slow?

Comment

slo flyer

Dunnolah bro. Maybe the bird not happy I fly over its territory.
      Fly Hard! Fly Safe!

Comment

Maybe you use this analogy...

You own a piece of land. One fine day, you are strolling around in the piece of land and suddenly there is a toy robot r2d2 that rolls around the land. You are curious, and so you swat it and poor toy r2d2 shatters into many pieces.

I had a run-in with an eagle before. Took 2000kvs of 6 inch prop at full throttle to leave it in the dust. But eagle was just playing around.
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Could it be that your spits is too close after the turn and headed in its general direction? The eagle could have taken that as an aggressive move, and attack first for self defense.

I get crows at my flying field; they will follow behind to take a look. Sometime, I’ll slow down so that the crow can come closer. When they are too close for comfort (mine), just throttle up and scare they with the sound. But your encounter with an eagle could be a different storey.
          Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

hmmm

bro, look on the positive side. bird strike happens once in a million. its really yr luck that it happens to you on that particular day. Who knows if the incident doesnt happen, yr plane might have some electronics failure and cause further public damage. i mean it maybe a good sign. who knows during that particular strike, some numbers just pop into yr head and today it hit first prize? heheheh

romihensem " Back In Business "

Flying is all that matters...
            sigpic

Comment

So sorry about your lost. But eagle (german symbol) dun like spitefire (english plane) . . . so destory it lor.

Comment

Oh ya hor no wonder I flew my ME109 to disturb the eagle, it also didn't want to attack.

But seriously, we have seen the eagle do a few actions like it's ready to swoop/attack, but each time it just backed off.. Maybe it was just in a bad mood that day haha...

Comment

with a good BL motor and a big APC prop..the eagle will soon realise that its a mistake going for the plane

TREX 500 ESP
                  Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Tell me where?

Bro. Tell me where. I bring my nitro plane there... Sigh.......So many field cannot fly because "garment"! now "bird" also want to bully us. Sigh.....

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post

I am talking about a big feathered bird that decided to strike my plane right out of the air!!!

Here's what happened.

Just 1 hr ago I decide to fly my foamie spit. 1st batt no hitch. No birds too. Weather was great for early afternoon. greycast clouds, not windy. Perfect for flying planes right?? So plug in 2nd batt and launch lah!

Suddenly, this bird appeared. I knew it was an eagle as it glided mostly without flapping. Nice bird, I thought. Quite Big, I thought. Continued flying did a loop and noticed that this bird was following my plane. I decided to steer clear of it and manage to keep my distance for a few more seconds. I had to turn again at some point so just after I leveled off I thought I had space to fly past this bird despite the bird having the same altitude.

How wrong I was!! It happenned so quickly. The bird turned out to be WAAYYY BIGGER. It zeroed on my spit and 'clawed/smashed' my plane in mid-air. At point of impact, the eagle's wing span is about twice the span of my spit!!!

Then I thought it wanted my plane for lunch as it went down in pieces. Guess what?! It BOCHAP my plane a just flew away. I think it didn't even gave it a second glance.

wah bro, u seem unlucky. Normally the eagle will steer clear of my plane after hearing the spinning prop sound

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post

Here's what happened.

that sucks man!
                        Kedi AH !

Comment

brit vs german eagle

Haha. Can't help laughin abt the german eagle whacking the spit coz its brit.

Actually I steered clear of it. I did tot it was playing around but it kept following my plane!

Darn it! Come to think of it I could have played dogfight with it for a few more moments. As long as I steered clear of the eagles attack range!!!
                          Fly Hard! Fly Safe!

Comment

Post traumatic pics

As mentioned. The remains of my spit. I think its repairable. The wings is in one piece.

Fly Hard! Fly Safe!

Comment

Originally posted by romihensem View Post
                              bro, look on the positive side. bird strike happens once in a million. its really yr luck that it happens to you on that particular day. Who knows if the incident doesnt happen, yr plane might have some electronics failure and cause further public damage. i mean it maybe a good sign. who knows during that particular strike, some numbers just pop into yr head and today it hit first prize? heheheh
                              Yo Bro! I like to think I am the lucky one to experience such an event. I think God trying to tell me something. Or maybe its just a prelude to something big. something GOOD

Anyway, plane can repair or replace. Experiences like this? .....PRICELESS!!

Too bad. no numbers popped in my head leh. u mention until now also still no numbers!!Heheh!
                              Fly Hard! Fly Safe!

Comment

Working...
                              X