Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final stages of completion (WING)

Just bought this Wing couple of weeks ago from a local online hobby store which apparently stop selling this. Well for 20 over bucks for this wing, i won't be complaining much.

I just did a couple of modifications for this build... cut short the wing span by at least 5 inch i think... used another type of wood motor mount, re-located the servos location, used straight wired rods instead of the bended wire rods that came with it. Used another type of control horns and stick a light plywood underneath to achieve a wider area of contact on the foam elevons. Installed a plastic canopy which came from one of my foamie planes to protect the electronics. Couple of hours spent on this build.... Tested with a china made 3200KV motor, 25A castle creation ESC and below mentioned battery. i think achieved 14A Max, 180-200Watt on ground run test if my memory doesn't fail.

OK..enough said. Here's a few pics to share

Just need CG check with 1000mah 11.1V 15C battery. 1 more roll of fiber tape...to tape up the remaining exposed foam. buy a Spektrum 6000 or 6100 series receiver...or steal one of the receivers from my foamie plane. And lastly a nice day get a first test flight of the plane.

Bro I had one similar one.

What's the prop size? 6? 5? Is this the CROW flying wing from That Hobby Shop? Doesn't look like it. I bought something similar for 28 bucks...
    "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm
      Bro I had one similar one.

What's the prop size? 6? 5? Is this the CROW flying wing from That Hobby Shop? Doesn't look like it. I bought something similar for 28 bucks...
      Im using prop sized six 6X5, its called Gurada 400 from RC warbirds...have u maiden ur wing?

Comment

Yes, maidened, deceased and written off after a few flights.

I can take pictures of the corpse though.

The nose is bent upwards at 45 angle.

See already also sian.
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm
          Yes, maidened, deceased and written off after a few flights.

I can take pictures of the corpse though.

The nose is bent upwards at 45 angle.

See already also sian.
          At least you have a few flights on it.... its my first time on wings so i'll keep my fingers crossed if i can make it through the first maiden flight. Any tips to share on the CG point on wings??

Comment

Don't have leh.... I mean just follow the CG instructions loh.... and you can try tips from yourzagi.com - I go there for all my flying wing tips.

My one was too front heavy, in the end not very manueverable, sluggish response, but I already cut the groove for battery so can't be helped.

I use a 2200 polyquest with a 2200 kv Revox and a 5 x 5. (6 x 4 is better)
            95 cm span, 500 gms weight.

Have fun. I is thinking of building another one...soon...

Comment

Ok..thanks for the info. Will drop by that site for tips. Will update this thread when i maiden my wing.

Comment

See this? It's my wing...deceased of course. It had quite a few adventures. Cruised well, did nice lazy circles but not very responsive and not manueverable. The wing bend was only slightly obvious from the crash, but I made it worse when I tried to retrieve the carbon fiber rod...which broke. It smacked into the road at full speed when suddenly the radio stopped working. (not Punggol Field Walk).

Nose bent, courtesy of a malfunctioning receiver and 70% throttle into the aspalt road. Good thing the road was one of those ulu roads. The worse thing is the receiver seemed to 'hang' and not respond.

See the inside, I cut out groove for the battery lengthwise and receiver too (padded with sponge). The flap on top is a coroplast flap, flips up and down and fasten with a 3m fastener. The ESC is taped to the top of the flap.

Hope this helped you! Don't be discouraged if crashes happen, cos wings are incredibly tough anyway, if you tape it up well.

Comment

Sunstorm, Thanks for sharing the pics! Appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo_blues
                    Ok..thanks for the info. Will drop by that site for tips. Will update this thread when i maiden my wing.
                    Maiden this wing of mine today, flew well but the nut securing the prop came loose while airborne but managed to glide and land smoothly with power off... motor is Align 400L 2500kv....a modified 8X6 prop (cut short the diameter to accommodate elevon clearance which resulted in much vibration which causes the nut to come loose in-flight - silly of me), followed CG calculation from this site CG calculation ...

Comment

Working...
                    X