Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DJ Aerotech Chrysalis 2ME Build

These are what the mailman delivered while I was away on my last trip. Both are gliders from DJ Aerotech. The Chrysalis 2ME is a 2m electric glider and the other is the Chrysalis HLG (1.5m) which I intend to modify for electric power. I shall be starting with the build of the 2ME first.

A quick rummage through the box revealed a very complete kit with crisp balsa. The kit comes with rolled full sized plans and detailed instructions and clear drawings of each building stage.

This is a traditional all wood builders kit - not an ARF. It promises to provide high performance at an affordable price. I had searched around for a wood kits to build and found that almost all that are still currently in production are decades old designs. The Chrysalis range is a back to basics yet current design which from what I have gathered from the internet, provides performance without resorting to expensive composites and are easy to fly. I shall be looking forward to see how they turn out.

To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Whats the damage?

Comment

So, it's a 2 piece wing by default and allows electric conversion?

Would like to know what you ordered so that I can consider ordering the same...
      "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

I purchased the kits (Chrysalis 2ME and the 1.5 HLG) together with the optional parts to make 3 piece wings for both kits. I think that this is useful for the 2M wing to make it easier to store and transport. As standard, both kits have one piece wings. For the HLG, I may stick with the one piece wing to keep it as light as possible.

The 2ME is an electric model. The 1.5 HLG is not for electric power as standard but I will be making my own mods to fit a suitable electric motor and cell pack.
        Last edited by Tony; 11-07-2011, 10:12 AM.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by throttle View Post
          Whats the damage?
          Prices are given at the DJ Aerotech web site.

Confucius

Comment

pls post the video

Comment

Originally posted by throttle View Post
              pls post the video
              Video so soon? This is no ARF.

Comment

At the rate I build........maybe in a months time.....maybe more.

Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                  At the rate I build........maybe in a months time.....maybe more.
                  hahaha.. btw welcome back Tony!

Comment

Yup. Tks. Glad to be back home. Auckland was getting too cold and wet.

Confucius

Comment

The balsa wood used is very good with firm balsa for leading/trailing edges and light balsa for other parts. Aircraft grade plywood is used for all ply parts. All parts are laser cut.

The kit is very complete. Rolled full sized plans are provided and instructions include clearly printed diagrams for every stage of the construction process. Even pushrods and clevises are included. Perusing the instructions and design, I don't see anything that would make it difficult for a first time builder to be able to complete this kit.

This is the optional pack that provides the parts and carbon rods to build a 3 piece wing. The standard kit has a one piece wing.

Confucius

Comment

Very nice design. I don't know which one flies better, but the V-tails always appeals to my eyes.

Comment

Its one of the first decisions that need to be made when commencing the build of this model - to go with the traditional tail or the v-tail. I'm going with the V-tail. Just seems to look nicer and less likely to snag on grass etc on landing. I have scoured various forums on this design and there have not been any thing negative about the V tail vs the regular tail so far as I know. Parts are provided for both versions in the kit.

Confucius

Comment

Half an hour of identifying parts and plucking results in a whole bunch of parts for the assembly of the wing.

Most parts were reasonably accurate but there were a number of gaffs. The slots on the trailing edges did not match with the positions shown on the plans and as a result, the ribs got more and more out of alignment with the plans the further from the centre of the wing. Its ok so long as all parts are similarly out of sync which was the case. So I ended up with a slightly longer wing than shown on the plans. Shear web J-K1 was about 3/16 inch too short.

These weren't very major and are easily corrected.

Here the left wing is framed up and waiting for wood glue to cure before moving on to the next stage.

Confucius

Comment

Mounting sheer webs.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X