Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building the Guppy Glider

I have been reading a lot on the Guppy glider for some time and fell in love with this beautiful glider.
    It has been a long time since I downloaded the free plans (more than a year, I think!) and finally decided to start building it. It is going to take a long time more, before I could complete it. I'm not sure if anyone has build this locally, I made a search but was not able to find any build thread here.

Thanks to the designer, Mitja from Slovenia, who provided all the answers and support in the building of the Guppy glider. Plans and other build information can be found here:

Getting started....
    From the tiled pdf plans, I printed and paste them together. Going to build the wings first, I cut out all the ribs profiles and paste them on the balsa sheet for cutting.
    In the plans, it calls for different thickness on the different ribs, I used 3/32" for all ribs.
    For the trailing edge, I used the standard 3/4"x1/4". The ones stated in the plans were not available locally. The length of the ribs were also adjusted accordingly as my TE was wider.
    The Wing Spars and Leading Edge were also cut and ready. The LE need to be cut at an angle to follow the profile of the LE of the rib, this is a bit tricky, I got the angle wrong 2 times! The cutting is based on a steel rule and some ninja judgment.
    In cutting the ribs and the other balsa parts, make sure your pen knife is very sharp. A slightly blunt knife will result in unsatisfactory cut parts and joints. It is also better to conduct the cut in one go, rather then multiple cuts. I did not perform additional sanding of the ribs.

I thought I had all the parts ready, but I left out 2 pcs of R3 when I was about to assemble the main panels. There are total of 4 panels for the wings.

I stick the plans onto my building board and cover it it with food wrap. Just use scotch tape and stretch all the wrinkles out. You'll need to make more duplicate copies of the plans, as you'll be cutting them up later.

........to be continued.

MS

Originally posted by msc
    I have been reading a lot on the Guppy glider for some time and fell in love with this beautiful glider.
    It has been a long time since I downloaded the free plans (more than a year, I think!) and finally decided to start building it. It is going to take a long time more, before I could complete it. I'm not sure if anyone has build this locally, I made a search but was not able to find any build thread here.

Thanks to the designer, Mitja from Slovenia, who provided all the answers and support in the building of the Guppy glider. Plans and other build information can be found here:

Getting started....
    From the tiled pdf plans, I printed and paste them together. Going to build the wings first, I cut out all the ribs profiles and paste them on the balsa sheet for cutting.
    In the plans, it calls for different thickness on the different ribs, I used 3/32" for all ribs.
    For the trailing edge, I used the standard 3/4"x1/4". The ones stated in the plans were not available locally. The length of the ribs were also adjusted accordingly as my TE was wider.
    The Wing Spars and Leading Edge were also cut and ready. The LE need to be cut at an angle to follow the profile of the LE of the rib, this is a bit tricky, I got the angle wrong 2 times! The cutting is based on a steel rule and some ninja judgment.
    In cutting the ribs and the other balsa parts, make sure your pen knife is very sharp. A slightly blunt knife will result in unsatisfactory cut parts and joints. It is also better to conduct the cut in one go, rather then multiple cuts. I did not perform additional sanding of the ribs.

I thought I had all the parts ready, but I left out 2 pcs of R3 when I was about to assemble the main panels. There are total of 4 panels for the wings.

I stick the plans onto my building board and cover it it with food wrap. Just use scotch tape and stretch all the wrinkles out. You'll need to make more duplicate copies of the plans, as you'll be cutting them up later.

........to be continued.

MS
    COOL LAR! wanted to build the guppy too but seemed too complicated for me. u building the aileron version?
    Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

Comment

Good one. Keep it coming.

Comment

Main wing panels

Assembly of the main wing panels. With all the pieces cut out, it is just a matter of sticking them all together. I was very surprise to find that all the pieces fit together very well.....just follow the plans!
        The bottom sheeting comes first, building from the bottom up. Stick the bottom spar, ribs and Trailing edge. When the joints are cured, stick on the top spar and the Leading edge.
        I did not use any pins to hold down the parts, but used objects that I could find on the floor or tools in the room.
        The main wing panels are completed with the top sheeting and the top and bottom sheeting at the center of the wings. I added gusset at the trailing edge at the center and the ends of the wings to beef up the joints a bit.
        I got a bit of help from Mae, who followed my instructions of putting just a little bit of glue with a small music wire.

Wing tip panels to follow later......

MS

Comment

Wow... That's coming along really beautifully, excellent workmanship!
          U gonna plonk a motor on her or keep her as a glider? Anyway, really nice job man, everything so straight and nice and clean

Comment

Originally posted by GreenJoshy
            Wow... That's coming along really beautifully, excellent workmanship!
            U gonna plonk a motor on her or keep her as a glider? Anyway, really nice job man, everything so straight and nice and clean

Thanks for your kind words. The secret of clean cuts, as I have mentioned before, is a very sharp pen knife.
            Just wish I have more time to spend doing this. Balancing domestic duties and other responsibilities is hard.

I plan to use a small motor, to be powered by a 2s Lipo to keep the weight down.

MS

Comment

Kah Marn,

nice build! Keep it going!

I think those shorter 1000-1300mAh 2s will fit nicely into this one. U plan to use the same setup as the KF5 glider u built a while back?

Comment

Nice scratch build. Keep it coming.
                To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

great job.....the look of naked balsa is a sight to behold... =)

keep it up o'scratch builder.

=)

Comment

Seem like I'm not the only one with balsa fetish....the build is very slow, just wish I have more time to build.

As for the 2s battery, I will be using this. I think it is less than 20g.

MS

Comment

my version of my BAS [balsa-addiction-syndrome] medication...........

she should be done for 2010 bedok slope season.........yipppeeee

hope yours will not be that 'much' delayed!!!

=)

Comment

Sam,
                        This thing doesn't need a slope to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap
                          Sam,
                          This thing doesn't need a slope to fly.

Marn, ...doesn't it bring back the good ole JFC days ? ...the smell of glue curing, the balsa dust settling and the covering iron burning

Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by msc
                            Seem like I'm not the only one with balsa fetish....the build is very slow, just wish I have more time to build.

As for the 2s battery, I will be using this. I think it is less than 20g.

MS
                            Where did you buy it?
                            "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit

Marn, ...doesn't it bring back the good ole JFC days ? ...the smell of glue curing, the balsa dust settling and the covering iron burning
                              Not to mention getting high on the butyrate dope drying off the raw balsa and tissue covering which probably explains the inverse relationship between my age and IQ

Hats-off to you guys who still scratch build
                              If in doubt - add more horsepower!

Comment

Working...
                              X