Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety in the flying field

This morning, a very unfortunate incident happened at Tampines Ave 5 field. A fellow RC flyer and was hit at the back of the head when an aborted landing from another Electric airplane flew into the fellow RC pilots who are flying their crafts.

The Electric plane had a fast landing speed and was not able to land into the intended path the first time. In the subsequent attempt, the pilot was also coming in too fast. He aborted the landing and throttle up the motor.
    The plane flew into a small crowd of other RC flyers. The pilot who was busy flying his own Funjet was hit at the back of his head by the landing plane. I was next to him watching other planes in the sky and did not notice the plane until it hit him.

With the hit, he fell and was bleeding at the back of his head. Luckily, he was conscious, but badly shaken and a bit shocked. He was rushed to Changi Hospital A&E. Understand that he got 2 stitches on the head.

There are no end to the emphasis on SAFETY in the field. All responsible RC must understand that accident may occur as a result from pilot error, equipment failures, weather condition, etc.....the damage to beautifully made plane cannot be compared to a small knock or scratch on fellow RC flyers.

Some accidents may happen, however, we need to actively have a safety mindset to minimize all accidents. In the accident this morning, I think that the accident could be prevented if the RC flyer would land his plane just a little bit further away from fellow RC flyers and give others an alert by sounding out.
    There are no white tape or any markings to indicate this in the field, but one must draw his own line of safety. Flying too close to fellow RC flyers is a definite NO-NO.

We can continue to dwell into RC safety topics, but the point is that an accident has already occurred this morning. What should and could be done has already been said.
    I think as regular RC flyers, we have to stress the message of what MUST be done for safety while in the field.

Let's hope our injured friend will recover soon. Hopefully, the knock on this head will not affect his flying skills.
    As for the pilot who caused the accident, let's hope he will learn to be a safer pilot when in the field.

MS

Note: this message is not a reprimand or pin-point the fault of the accident. In case of any mis-understanding, the intend of this message is to highlight the SAFETY in the flying field.

I was shock when MSC sms me this morning ragarding this accident. Thank God the injured pilot is ok (spoke to him this afternoon).

I cannot emphazied enough the safety that we need to observed. I understand that many of us are good pilots but equipment, wind, badly built planes or badly trim planes can cause accident.

I wish our dear friend a speedy recovery.

Comment

sorry to hear that man. hope he has a speedy recovery too.

i know this carries not much weight as compared to the injuries sustained by the pilot, but did he manage to land his funjet safely too? cannot imagine a scenario where someone crashes his plane into another pilot injuring him and causing him to loose control of his aircraft and crashing into yet another pilot. the result would be catastrophic.
      Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

Comment

Let's hope that we all learn from this unfortunate incident and have a safety mind set while enjoying our hobby.

We do not need more of this kind of accidents to happen to refresh what we must be doing in the field for safety.

MS

Comment

Hi All,

First of all I'd like to thank to all the guys who had sms-ed me to ask me how was I was and for wishing me a speedy recovery. Thanks guys, I really appreciate those sms-es. Thanks to all the guys who were at the field and who rendered assistance.

As you guessed it I was the recipient of a corsair in to the back of my head. The pilot of the said corsair is a flying buddy and he was the one who brought me to the hospital where I got immediate treatment. Thanks man.

Luckily, the extent of the injury wasn't as bad as it initially seemed. Eventhough half of my t shirt was drenched in blood, it was just lacerations. That's right, there were two cuts. Each around 4cm long. How many stitches I don't really know cos I forgot to ask the Doctor who stitched me up. X-rays also revealed no further injury.

Regarding safety at the flying field, there is no telling when accidents can happen. As long as appropriate safety precautions are taken and common sense is used, the chances of accidents can be minimised. But sometimes things just happen which we never would have fathomed.

This said, fly safe everyone.

Cheers,
          Adnan
          Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
          ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
          Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Wish you a speedy recovery bro. Hats off for your buddy to take you to the hospital ASAP. Have fun flying and keep it safe.

cheers!

nixaad
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi Adnan, glad to here that you're ok....
              Yah, I do agree that accidents can happen anywhere, anytime and to anyone, so do practice safety at the field.

Flying Without Wings

Comment

I din know it was u. Rest well and recover soon!
                Spektrum DX7
                sigpic

Comment

wow 4cm cut will be 5 stitches each. me too have it while testing my own plane at home when the pro suddenly turn and cut my arm. big mistake i made. should have took out the pro.
                  JR9XII PCM 72.xxx n XPS n FRSKY 2.4GHz

me is " Kancheong spider "

Comment

Speedy recovery

Hi Adnan

Speedy recovery, real pain on the head w stitches. Accident do happen and caution must be taken while in the field. Good Rest - the slope season will be here soon. : )

Yes we all learn from this unfortunate incident and have a safety mind set while enjoying our hobby.

We dont want more of this kind of accidents to happen in the field for safety.

Here are some of the basic reminder in the field.
                    Turning "On transmitter without checking Frequency" cause accident
                    Shout "Landing and Take off" to warn others
                    "Lighting without rain" do not fly
                    "Plane engine/electric and Heli rotor start up" Do not go near

Lets play our part, be more safe and fun learning

Comment

My sincerest symphaties to you RT, man. Speedy recovery with god speed.
                      Go back in one piece to fly another day.
                      Having fun yet?
                      36.39mhz
                      40.77mhz

Comment

Speedy recovery!!!

Comment

Get well soon man.

What happened to the Funjet, by the way?
                          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

well i hope u get well fast . as those of u flying in the open area safty must cum first .not ur toy model as human is at stake . if model is gone down u can buy or repair. if it were to strike a human tat is. the end.
                            mike

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm View Post
                              Get well soon man.

What happened to the Funjet, by the way?

Well, the Funjet is not the number 1 concern here. But anyway, I picked up the Tx on the ground and landed the jet safely. It was flying on its own for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X