Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skookum SK-720 & SK-GPS

Hi,

I bought a Trex 700E DFC recently. I have been using the Skookum SK540 for a few months now and very happy with its performance and the confidence it gives me. I thought with the new Trex 700E, perhaps it is a good opportunity for me to try out the topnotch FBL, SK720 with the GPS module. I like to try out the self leveling and rescue features. So, I bought the SK720 + GPS as a combo from Zenm Tech. As combo, I got a free power bus (for power distribution), LCD terminal (this is useful for tuning the heli at the field without a PC), T-shirt, Tx neck strap, a small bag and a nice BE box, LOL. The SK720 can work without the GPS module, so you don’t have to buy the GPS if you don’t want to.

The setup for the SK-720 is almost the same as the SK540, using the same software but with some additional settings when software detects that it is a SK720. Setting of the GPS is also through the same software.

While SK540 is very “insensitive” to heli vibration (probably the best in all FBLs in term of vibration resistance), meaning mounting is never an issue. In fact, SK540 prefers hard mounting (i.e. mount it using a thin 3M tape). But for SK720 you cannot use hard mounting if you are going to use the self leveling feature as the SK720 uses the accelerometers which is sensitive to vibration. You need to mount the SK720 using the supplied metal plate (non-magnetic), thick foam tape, and the thin 3M tape. The SK720 comes with a very good vibration analysis feature which will help to check if the vibration is acceptable to the FBL for self leveling purpose. If the vibration is too high, the SL will not work. The vibration analysis can almost pinpoint where is the heli vibration come from. I like it very much.

The mounting of the GPS is a challenge. It needs to be mounted upright only, and the Trex 700E was not designed to cater for it. And it needs to stay away from motor, servos, ESC, BEC, including their cables; even the GPS cable has to be an inch apart from those cables. I first mounted it on the tail boom but found later that it interfered with the canopy. The only possible location is on the real ESC mount, but it is not horizontal, it is tilted. So, I need to make a simple structure using CF (see pictures) to provide the GPS a flat and vertical surface for mounting.

SK720 Recovery (Bailout) Features.

SK720 has two kinds of recovery feature, one is the Self Leveling (which is provided by the SK720 itself), the other is the Rescue feature (which is provided by the GPS).

By the way, I always thought the Self Leveling (SL) is only a bailout feature, but it is not just that. Besides being used as bailout, it is also a flying/training assistant especially for newbies.

Self Leveling Modes.

SL function has nothing to do with the GPS module. So, you do not need to have the GPS to use SL.

The SL has four modes:
    A. Always On
    B. Centre Stick
    C. Always On & Inverted
    D. Centre Stick and Inverted.

Of course you can turn off the SL feature completely. But if it is enabled, it needs to be set to one of these four modes. Mode A and Mode B will always try to level the swashplate for you, so effectively it makes the heli flies like a coaxial. Mode A will only self level the heli into the upright position while Mode B is cable of self level the heli in inverted position. Mode B and Mode D will only level the swashplate when you hand off the sticks (i.e. centre stick). So the heli will fly normal (almost!) until you hand off the sticks. In addition to the mode selection, you can also select the “rate of self leveling”, it is a percentage (0 to 200%) of the cyclic rate settings. So, if you want the self leveling effect to be responsive or quicker, set a higher value. For recovery purpose, set it to max (i.e. 200%), and for training purpose set it to 70% to 90% (just my one cent).

In summary, if you are going to use the SL as a recovery (bailout) feature, you need to set a switch that when flipped (when panic) it will enable the SL; set the SL control rate to max (200%) so that heli will be levelled in the fastest manner. SL is not auto hovering, so when SL set in, you still need to take control and hover the heli. Once you hover it, you need to switch the SL off and bring the heli to land safely.

For beginners and newbies, SL is a good feature (my view) for you to use it for training purpose. To use SL as training feature, it needs to be enabled throughout normal flying. For absolute beginners, select Mode A and set the SL rate to 100%. Anytime when you are panic, just let go the sticks, and your heli will be self levelled but you need to continue to hover it as it will drift. As you progress, you can reduce it to say 50% to 60%. At some point, when you can fly better and gain confidence, you will then select Mode B. Mode C and Mode D are inverted capable. If your heli is tilted more than 60 degree, the heli will be self levelled to inverted. Similarly, if the heli is tilted more than 60 degree at inverted, the SL will bring the heli to upright level. Eventually, when you are out of newbie status (from Ah Boy to Man), you can disable the SL feature and fly like a pro. LOL.

I tried Mode A and it really flies like a coaxial. I tried Mode B with 60% rate, I can fly the heli as normal but when the sticks are near to centre it will self level. One thing you cannot do is stall turn when the SL is on as it will self level the heli on the way down as the sticks are near to centre.

SK720 Rescue Features

This feature requires to have the GPS module installed. There are three modes for this feature.
    A. Rescue Now
    B. Rescue Hard Floor
    C. Rescue Soft Floor

Mode A (Rescue Now) is the most common one. At the flip of a switch, the FBL will rescue the heli at any position by bringing it to upright, level it, turn the tail towards you (i.e. tail in), and hover it at that position. You can still turn the tail around if you want to. You need to flip back the switch to gain back the control of heli and land it manually. I tried this, the rescue was fast and everything happen within about a second or so. It levelled the heli first and then turn the tail.

Mode B. You enable this mode in your normal flying. But when the heli drop below a predefined minimum altitude (10m to 15m), the rescue function (as above) will kick in automatically without you doing anything. I think this mode is more suitable for sport flying.

Mode C. Same as Mode B except that the FBL (GPS) will calculate how much distance is needed to stop in time, and will activate rescue function if it thinks it is running out of room to recover before going below the set minimum altitude. This allows you to set a lower minimum altitude, however it gives less control to the pilot. I think this mode is more suitable for 3D flying. I dare not try this Mode C, waiting for the now big time Skookum’s Singapore pilot (aka Damien Tan) to try. LOL.

On top of the rescue modes, the SK720(GPS) has a “Go Home” function. At the flip of a switch, the FBL will take over the control of heli and fly the it to a predefined Home position, turn it to tail in, and hover the heli at the Home position. It will not auto land, pilot needs to deactivate the Home function and take control of the heli to land it manually. I find not much use for heli as we are unlikely to fly the heli to a position that we can’t even see it. Perhaps this function is more useful for quadcopters as SK720 (and SK540) is designed for quadcopter as well. I never try this function.

Overall, I am very happy with SK720+GPS although I still have some tuning to do for both cyclic and tail. Will post the settings here after I complete the tuning. For bailout, I think the rescue modes provided by the GPS is better than the SL modes. The rescue mode is faster and it auto hover the heli after the bailout whereas the SL is a little slow and it doesn’t auto hover the heli.

Unlike SK540, SK720 cannot work with USB3 port somehow. So, if you are connecting your PC to SK720, use USB2 ports.

Some pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	993965

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	993966

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	993967

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	993968

Name:	IMG_0457.JPG
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	993969

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	993970

Name:	IMG_0468.JPG
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	993971

Pictures of the GPS mount.

Name:	IMG_0438.JPG
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	993972Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0441.JPG
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	993973

Name:	IMG_0443.JPG
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	993974
    Last edited by nb8686; 11-09-2013, 12:45 PM.

This is a very good sharing. You are the man. Your review has brought me close to SK720 and GPS. Great sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by rchobbyfly View Post
      This is a very good sharing. You are the man. Your review has brought me close to SK720 and GPS. Great sharing.
      Thanks. Hope to see you buy SK720 and GPS soon.

Comment

Very informative thread. Thanks for sharing. I've to start saving for the impending FBL upgrade.

Comment

nb8686, i hv a query. what if it happens to be a very cloudy day? will it affect the gps? me no idea how this works cos I still prefer to stay in flybar era...
          Heli-ADDICTION:
          Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
          JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
            . what if it happens to be a very cloudy day? will it affect the gps?
            DISCLAIMER: I am not privy to the stabilization algorithm used in the skookum robotics products.

GPS ranging is based on a very robust PRN code, and in general, dense cloud cover will not cause a loss of reception. However, due to tropospheric refraction, you might get single L1 carrier delays corresponding to a ~5-10m HDOP. However, with an entire constellation, you can attempt to reduce the error to the sub 1m region. This is relatively insignificant in the context of typical 2-10m 95% HDOPs in civil GPS receivers.

Also, for stabilization, GPS possibly plays very little part in it: GPS does not contain angular positioning information. With a standard single GPS receiver mounted on a single point, you cannot tell the orientation of the frame. Also, the update rate for positioning is not particularly spectacular.

In the context of stabilization, what is more likely is information from a inertial measurement unit is used to determine the craft's attitude, and correct to some desired zero-error condition. The GPS is likely just used for return-to-home operations and perhaps to implement a lower-deck for flight safety (although I wouldn't trust the altitude derived from a GPS-only source: VDOP is usually terrible, a barometer tends to give better information).

Comment

Oh, and in flybarless systems, since stabilization is handled by a completely electronic system, you have one less mechanical point of failure. It's really up to you to assess the risk and failure modes of the flybarless controller.

Also, since it's completely electronic, this offers the opportunity to adjust the control law, giving you the freedom to perhaps get less tendency to return to level flight, permitting higher rates of roll/pitch. This might even be in a exponential manner, or even against a programmed curve. Computer-augmented inverted flight entry anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
                nb8686, i hv a query. what if it happens to be a very cloudy day? will it affect the gps? me no idea how this works cos I still prefer to stay in flybar era...
                Hi Henry, the GPS will not be affected by cloud as the GPS complex coding system was designed to take care of those environmental interference (as mentioned by timgoh).

Flybar does has its strength. If one day you decide to try out the flybarless, SK540 is the one to go for as it flies like flybar (almost).

Comment

Hi. Im a newbie. I like to confirm with sk720 I can make a Trex-500 (or any cp heli) to fly like a coaxial heli?

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieKoh View Post
                    Hi. Im a newbie. I like to confirm with sk720 I can make a Trex-500 (or any cp heli) to fly like a coaxial heli?
                    Hi, can you clarify what aspect of a coax you expect?

From my experience, when wind blow, a Coax will balloon up and fly away. A Trex sure won't have this problem. I am also not sure how to program this balloon behaviour into any FBL...
                    Hanger
                    Hirobo XRB SR Lama
                    Hirobo Quark SRB
                    Hirobo Quark SRB SG
                    Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
                    Blade450 3D
                    MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
                    COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
                    Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
                    FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
                    Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
                    HK FLYJET EDF
                    Artech Skyfun
                    Dynam P51D Mustang
                    Parkzone P51

Tx:
                    Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
                    Spektrum DX6i
                    DX8
                    Futaba 9CAP

Comment

I think he means that if you let go the controls it will self-level. At least if I myself were moving up from a coax I would look for this.

Comment

Yes, but of course it will be moving faster than a typical coaxial heli. You need to control your stick movement, make a very small stick movement each time you try to move the heli. You can control the amount of "coaxial effect" by adjusting the rate of the self leveling (0 to 100%).

Comment

Thanks. I don’t want to buy a coaxial and a cheap Tx to start with, and later buy a CP and better Tx when I progress. I find this will cost even more. My idea is to stick to one CP heli, a good Tx and FBL (with self leveling) which can bring me through newbie to a sport flyer. Im determined to be a heli pilot. My plan is to get a Trex500, Sk720 FBL, a Futaba Tx, and a simulator. Not sure if I need training gear for the heli.

Comment

Thanks. I don’t want to buy a coaxial and a cheap Tx to start with, and later buy a CP and better Tx when I progress. I find this will cost even more. My idea is to stick to one CP heli, a good Tx and FBL (with self leveling) which can bring me through newbie to a sport flyer. Im determined to be a heli pilot. My plan is to get a Trex500, Sk720 FBL, a Futaba Tx, and a simulator. Not sure if I need training gear for the heli.
                            Good plan. I would suggest you install the training gear initially.

Comment

Nb8686, may I enquire on sth? Do we need to enable the self leveling in the gyro tgt with the bailout from GPS? Or just enable the GPS bailout?
                              [B][U]Hangar[/U][/B]

[U]Helicopters:[/U]
                              1. Goblin 700 Competition
                              2. Goblin 630 Competition
                              3. Goblin 570
                              4. Goblin 500
                              5. LOGO 550 SX
                              6. Mini PROTOS
                              7. PROTOS 500
                              8. PROTOS 800
                              9. Align Trex 450L Dominator

Comment