Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTS or Upgrade: Blind Parrot AR Drone

Last week, I took out my AR Drone v1.0 to try out and out of my laziness and stupidity, I let it flew without wearing any hull. In the end, it crashed onto a wall, tripped onto a table and the nose camera fell off. Dammed! I was so pissed with myself for such stupidity act! Now my AR Drone is blind. I can only see using the vertical build-in camera. Although I can re-attach the camera to the front mount, it is not operative anymore because the electronic ribbon stip is broken.

I checked out the website for AR Drone spare parts and realised that to replace the camera, I need to buy the body of the AR Drone and it will cost me $70 excluding shipping from Parrot. On the other hand, I can't just replace the electronic ribbon strip that was broken during the crash of my AR Drone because no one sell just the ribbon strip and it would be quite troublesome to replace. So, my option now is either to find a good price for the body so that I can replace it or take the opportunity to upgrade it to v2.0 using the existing parts that are workable (but that would still cost me a bomb; about $300 over to buy individual v2.0 parts) or to sell it away to fund for another quadcopter or just continue using it without doing anything and let it fly without FPV feature.

Being quite a perfectionist in my character, I cannot stand seeing the AR Drone without the front video (although I must admit that the video quality is crap). So today, I'm quite determined to sell away my AR Drone if anyone is interested to take over. I would rate the set 8/10 cosmetically and 6/10 for overall (mainly due to the damage of the front camera). Everything is still intact, the box, the indoor and outdoor hull, the charger, the original battery (I have 2 but 1 of them can only last for 3-4 mins), the universal power plugs, manual, stickers and of course the AR Drone itself.

Not sure how much I can fetch for this AR Drone in its condition although, to be honest, it does fly pretty well for a quadcopter and is quite easy to control using your smart device. So, I will leave the offer to any highest bidder who can offer me a reasonable price.

If no good offer, I will just keep it for practise use without relying on the front camera and just treat it like any quadcopter without FPV.

Of couse if there is any kind soul who is willing to donate or sell me the body at good price (just the foam body with camera will do) or even just the camera with the electronic strip, I would be eternally grateful to you. This would give back sight for my poor AR Drone.

Whichever options, I'm opened for discussions, suggestions and offers. I can be contacted at 9023 3811. Thanks!

Suggest that you buy the foam safe glue to repair. It should be just as easy to repair like any foamy RC plane. You may go to YouTube and see how they glue back a foamy craft that has broken into pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by wengwah View Post
      Suggest that you buy the foam safe glue to repair. It should be just as easy to repair like any foamy RC plane. You may go to YouTube and see how they glue back a foamy craft that has broken into pieces.
      Thanks for your suggestion but there is no problem with the foam as only the front camera came out with a ripped electronic ribbon. In fact, I can still stick back the camera to the original position. Just that there is no way I can connect the broken ribbon for the camera to sent signal to its electronics unless a new body is purchased. That's why my AR Drone is now one-eye blind. Parrot only sells the camera that is already installed into the body.

I was even contemplating whether to self-upgrade it to v2.0 by buying the body, hull and the electronics of v.2.0 and use back the crossbar and rotary motor systems from my v1.0. Afterall, v1.0 and v2.0 shared the same crossbar and rotary motor systems. In this way, I get the opportunity to upgrade my AR Drone to v2.0. Did some cost calculation and it will still cost me over $300 to do so. Probably have to search around to see if there are anyone willing to sell parts at 2nd hand pricing so that I can upgrade. Meanwhile, I'll just have to fly the drone without the 'eye'.

Comment

Working...
      X