Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arf-er
    I think there's gonna be a huge dogfight coming soon!
    Just to put things in perspective; there were not many ZEROs around... the Japs mostly flew Ki-43 Hayabusa (Oscar)s over Singapore... and of course, the closest Americans were in the Philippines or bombing the Japs in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia)... so... NO P-51 Mustangs over Singapore... must use Hurricanes!
    alamak! who sells ahh?
    No P51s I believe. Only F4Fs and F6Fs. The P51s were used over the Japanese mainland in the pacific theatre. The RAF and the Dutch usually used FM2's (Brewster Buffalows) and Hurricanes.

Comment

It might be interesting to know that the nearest action-area these aircraft were used in, were (probably) :
      Hellcats, Corsairs (carrier borne): Bandar Straits, Celebes Sea, Indonesia. South Pacific islands.
      P-40 Warhawks: Burma (Flying Tigers), Philippines, Australia, Papua New Guinea, South Pacific islands.
      Spitfires: Burma

Oh, another little-known fact; Singapore would have seen a British amphibious re-invasion if not for the Atomic bomb & subsequent Jap surrender... 'Operation Zipper' was all ready to launch in Sep 1945, where we would have seen the British Indian 14th Army (a force of 250,000 men) land all along the West coast of Malaya.
      In this force was an airborne brigade (5th Bde) & a commando brigade that I'm sure was meant to re-take Singapore city... yes, there could have been a massive air-drop over the Padang! (ok, lah, feasibly, they would secure all the airfields & sembawang naval base first lah, not the Padang!)

Comment

Working...
      X