Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bangkok Funfly

Hi! I'm back this weekend to share some pix of how it's done in Bangkok...
    Apparently, the hobby is very much alive & well! (sori ahh; from my 2003 pix archives). Witness the nice tarmac runway & the good trade participation for such events.
    Location: 'Tung Sri Kan' flying field near Don Muang Airport inside RTAF area. It has since been closed for housing development.

more ...

Comment

lastly ...

Comment

Hey..aRF..tell me when they be doing such funfly again..i will going..Heard the news that 5 yrs old pilot from thailand will be doing demo in Negeri sembilan Air Carnival..

Anyway Guys..

On the 20 sep there will be a air carnival in negeri sembilan....If u have some mean machine to fly...pls do come...

Getting ready the 140 size mustang for the event hehehehe....
        To Buy Lists

a) RX Crytal 29.800 Futaba
        ---------------------------------
        Spacewalker

Comment

Sure, sure... i'll post if my Thai friens tell me if there's another event... anyway good luck to your Mustang in the forthcoming Negeri9 event! (don't lose ur plane in the haze!! )

Comment

hehehe after the postpone..hope the haze will low down...
            To Buy Lists

a) RX Crytal 29.800 Futaba
            ---------------------------------
            Spacewalker

Comment

Originally posted by spacewalker
              Hey..aRF..tell me when they be doing such funfly again..i will going..Heard the news that 5 yrs old pilot from thailand will be doing demo in Negeri sembilan Air Carnival..

Anyway Guys..

On the 20 sep there will be a air carnival in negeri sembilan....If u have some mean machine to fly...pls do come...

Getting ready the 140 size mustang for the event hehehehe....
              You want to go ah? Me also....

Comment

wow nice pics there! Seems like this hobby is alive in Bangkok too. Anyone know of any good hobbyshop in bangkok? Will be going there soon....

Comment

Hmmm...Edwin, bad news; hobby-shopping in BKK sucks! - they have maybe a dozen stores, but tend to be scattered all over Bangkok & into the surburbs... we are talking serious travelling here, not the usual Changi-Tuas distances. Plus of course, most of it will be spent not moving in Bangkok's infamous traffic jams. (...actually, KL is worse now!)
                  But OK, if you MUST go; u can visit 'Bangkok Hobby'; it's a 20-min walk behind MBK Shopping Centre (National Stadium BTS stn), go to the back of the stadium where there's a side road, walk a further 5min into the lane & it's on your right at a corner. Bewarned! - it may not be worth the trip as they (in fact, all hobby shops in BKK) carry very limited products, and not in any quantity... imagine Champion Chan's shop... yes, like that!
                  Another shop sells Futaba stuff, opposite 'Pantip Plaza' (their Funan Ctr) along New Petchaburi Road, at Pratunam.
                  Do not expect to find anything like Rotor or SingaHobby/NTC.
                  Now the really bad news; the prices are usually not any cheaper than in Singapore since their import taxes can be quite high...
                  I have never managed to buy any R/C stuff worthwhile from BKK.
                  If you r really serious & u have a local to guide u, go visit 'Min Buri Electric Flying Field' (at the Eastern end of Lat Phrao road, approx 1.5hr from the city), you will find electric enthusiasts plus a shop at the field itself selling many home-built balsa electrics. That's them in picture no.2 !
                  In a nutshell; don't bother!

Comment

Hi arf-er

Thank you for your directional guides. Very precise Guess i will only make these trips if i really have gone to all the tourist attractions and have no more other places to go!

Comment

Originally posted by arf-er
                      Hmmm...Edwin, bad news; hobby-shopping in BKK sucks! - they have maybe a dozen stores, but tend to be scattered all over Bangkok & into the surburbs... we are talking serious travelling here, not the usual Changi-Tuas distances. Plus of course, most of it will be spent not moving in Bangkok's infamous traffic jams. (...actually, KL is worse now!)
                      But OK, if you MUST go; u can visit 'Bangkok Hobby'; it's a 20-min walk behind MBK Shopping Centre (National Stadium BTS stn), go to the back of the stadium where there's a side road, walk a further 5min into the lane & it's on your right at a corner. Bewarned! - it may not be worth the trip as they (in fact, all hobby shops in BKK) carry very limited products, and not in any quantity... imagine Champion Chan's shop... yes, like that!
                      Another shop sells Futaba stuff, opposite 'Pantip Plaza' (their Funan Ctr) along New Petchaburi Road, at Pratunam.
                      Do not expect to find anything like Rotor or SingaHobby/NTC.
                      Now the really bad news; the prices are usually not any cheaper than in Singapore since their import taxes can be quite high...
                      I have never managed to buy any R/C stuff worthwhile from BKK.
                      If you r really serious & u have a local to guide u, go visit 'Min Buri Electric Flying Field' (at the Eastern end of Lat Phrao road, approx 1.5hr from the city), you will find electric enthusiasts plus a shop at the field itself selling many home-built balsa electrics. That's them in picture no.2 !
                      In a nutshell; don't bother!
                      I've been to the two you mentioned, that are around the city.

The the old man at Pantip told me to go back Singapore and buy, cheaper there!

Yes, in a nut shell don't bother. Unless you have a guide and time to spare to travel to the outskirts.

Comment

Sway-mak-mak! The event is it at Chongburi flight school? Used to know an AF officer there.

Yes! In Thailand, there are a lot of RC manufacturer of some very good quality kits- exporting to Europe and USA, mostly the factories in the rural area, with bkk as their office. Products like fine ARF kits, composite Jet kits, turbines, Rc electronics stuff etc....

But holiday shooping in BKK is another different story. Totally dissappointed!

Some years ago,.been to a few RC shops, no doubt there are a lot of good skillful flyers in thailand, but the shops there are pathetic and very expensive. When they heard i'm from singapore, they ask why i come thailand buy? singapore cheaper!

If anyone of you die die must go RC shopping in Thai. The only shop that's worth mentioning is behind a SOI at Sukhumvit. The shop is huge with very elaborate range of "World Models" ARF kits. The only item that catch my eye is a 500ml of 100% nitro on the shelf. Din bother to ask the price, cos wont be able to bring it into singapore.
                        Robert Green Ingersoll:
                        It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.

Comment

Chai laew! BKK has a vibrant r/c scene, just check out their local R/C magazines; ('R/C Flying' & 'R/C Action') - the electric segment is strong, with many home-grown individual manufacturers or club pro-shops building & selling their own ARF kits. (eg. 'Minburi Electric club', or the bigger 'Minicraft'.. I'm sure we are also familiar with 'Maxx Flying' accessories fm Thailand...)
                          Most of these kits are nicely designed, but pretty crude in terms of materials used (dunno what wood) & finishing... but admirable for their innovativeness nontheless...
                          Again, forget buying anything fm BKK as they are right; Singapore is cheaper (usually) and more available. Like when my Thai friends asked why the (Futaba) shop opposite Pantip always has a 'closed' sign in English on their door; the owner replied that it was so to keep out farangs!! (foreigners).

Comment

Working...
                          X