Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home built DIY Electric Balsa Bi Plane

Scratch building is more than cutting balsa wood and gluing them. Its a complex process that will test even the most resilient of people

It is a beauty. I like the strong colours. It will be easily seen in the air.

Where will it be flown?

Comment

I will try PFW this Fri morning but I think the dihedral is too little to roll the aircraft. Let's see how. Another pilot built this with dihedral a little too much hence I half the angle.
      Scratch building is more than cutting balsa wood and gluing them. Its a complex process that will test even the most resilient of people

Comment

Nice!!! Seems like you made a few modifications such as a boxy fuse and a solid tail surface.

Comment

What's this plane, by the way? I don't remember seeing the plan before...
          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by csisfun View Post
            Nice!!! Seems like you made a few modifications such as a boxy fuse and a solid tail surface.
            I hope the 5 degree dihedral can roll as opposed to yours at 10 degree which is too much. Also the wings are bolt held in place but can be removed as and when its needed using 1.5mm hex, its made more to hold the wings always in the same plane and parallel to each other. The tail was made as in the plan but I find it too flimsy hence the solid surface. Also the rear wheel is steerable so I may try ROG. Front cover is removable by sliding out to change battery easily, I will be using 3s for this aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm View Post
              What's this plane, by the way? I don't remember seeing the plan before...
              Its a plan not found in the internet that is why you can't remember seeing it.

Comment

These are the pictures of the original. I'll say 5 degrees on each wing is not too much. You can always use lesser throws. If you use too little dihedral, the rudder will be only enough to yaw the plane.

Comment

Do you think the plane will be able to roll?

Comment

It's possible if you have enough dihedral. I've done that several times with my Buttercup.

I read an article in model airplane news magazine many years ago. It mentions that for a model to have yaw induced roll ( we are not talking about 360 degrees roll here), it needs to have at least 3 degrees of 'effective dihedral'.

Effective dihedral takes considerations of wing position, wing sweep and actual dihedral, instead of just actual dihedral angle alone.

An average high wing model already has 1 degrees of positive dihedral even with a flat wing. An average low wing mdoel has 1 degrees of negative dihedral. So, for the high wing plane to turn with rudder, you'll need 3-1=2 degrees, and low wing is 3+1=4 degrees minimum.

For models with very deep fuselage or wings mounted very high up like parasol wing configurations; ie very low CG, they have so much positive effective dihedral that even with flat wings, the rudder is enough to roll the model.

Sweep angle also makes a difference. For every degree of sweep back, you'll get a half a degree of effective dihedral. Forward sweep will have effective anhedral on the other hand. I ever designed and build a model with flat wing but have swept back wings with about 10 degrees. It didn't have ailerons and I could fly it normally with elevator and rudder alone.

For you case, the lower wings may have insufficient dihedral, but the upper wings may have just enough. Since the wings are done, try other means by shifting the CG as low as possible. Place all your servos and battery pack at the bottom of the fuselage and use heavy wheels. In the worst case scenario, change the wingtips to something with some polyhedral.

Comment

home made

day 1 dwg,cut n fix a long long way to go
                      this is my 1st home made plane park flyer la try small frist ...........

ps : i got help from a cnc cutter la but dwg myself ......

Comment

Working...
                      X