Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lone flyer sloping in Sedili 2008

This is my first attempt at Sloping in Sedili, I decided to do it all after a few failed attempt at Bedok Slope where the wind is rather unpredictable every time I was there.

After consulting our glider guru Joe Yap on the Sedili Trip, I head out to Sedili to try my luck. Stayed there for 3 days 2 night over the New Year holidays for some sloping funfly.

As you can see, I am all alone, got no camera man to record the flight Sigh! the wind speed is just fantastic, endless lift round the clock. The lift was so strong I had a hard time struggling to stabilize my glider while trying to launch it off the cliff myself, when I finally manage to heave it into the wind, it just just went ballistic - straight up! Wow, what a rush!!! I reckon the wind must be blowing 30-40 knots or more.

My first attempt in landing almost ended in disaster as I have to circled for nearly half an hour trying to land my Easy glider, every time I try to come in for a landing, it was just came too hot, I tried all sorts of manunver but it just won't slow down in high winds. In the end, I came in a little fast and overshot past my landing mark, clipping the plane elevator on the bench - easy fix.

On another attempt while trying to land in strong wind conditions, I flew into the no lift zone on the far right among the cluster of trees, my glider was just suck straight into the trees 50 feet high when I was circling to land. Fortunately, I was fortunate to meet this nice 20 year old local girl who offered to climb up the tree to retrieve it for me. Glad to come home with my glider in one piece, all in all, it was a good learning experience. I will definately be returning for more...........let me know if anyone keen.

Did you use spolieron to land? When i fly the same glider as you, usually i power it up as i have no slope at woodlands but to make it come down fast i will activate the spoileron, both ailerons up and slight elevator down to counter.

Comment

Originally posted by hoppie
      Did you use spolieron to land? When i fly the same glider as you, usually i power it up as i have no slope at woodlands but to make it come down fast i will activate the spoileron, both ailerons up and slight elevator down to counter.
      Yes I have spoileron but was afraid to deploy it for fear I lose total control and having the wind sweep my glider away . I frequently use spoileron when I fly at flat field. Bro, you have to be there to feel the wind man....!! I try to post a video clip.

Comment

That 20yr old girl should be Mimi .

Thanx!
        SLOPE SOARING NOT A CRIME

The irresistible desire, for the irresistibly desired

Multiplex Royal Evo 12 user, and Proud of it.

Comment

Hoppie, if you fly your Easyglider on steep slope like this, spoilerons will only slow it down. You won't be able to land like waht you do on flat fields. Flying from vertical slope lifts is different from flying from flat fields. Our veteran William Foo has tried it by applying full crow ( ailerons full up, flaps full down and spoilers fully extended) with his Sagitta. All Sagitta did was just hang in the winds and eventually got blown into the trees, never had the tendency to sink.

Comment

Wally,

It nice to know that you really enjoy yourself. We'll be heading down soon and this should be my 10th year flying there. At least you get to experience soaring in endless lift conditions. I bet that after that, you will start to think about flying different kinds of gliders over there, like hotliners and aerobatic gliders.

Comment

Originally posted by lu wei yao

Thanx!
              Your fling???

Comment

Originally posted by ammo
                Your fling???

Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
                Tarot 450SE V2

Comment

Originally posted by madflurry

YaoYao and MiMi

Muahahahaha!!
                  sigpic
                  FASSTGot Quard?

Comment

Even if he deploy spoiler, brakes etc etc its a wind speed 0, ground speed 60 to 80kph kinda thingy.
                    Remember its 30 to 40 knots of wind....zzzz anything will turn into a rocket.
                    sigpic
                    FASSTGot Quard?

Comment

Confession of a Glider-holic

Originally posted by joe yap
                      Wally,

It nice to know that you really enjoy yourself. We'll be heading down soon and this should be my 10th year flying there. At least you get to experience soaring in endless lift conditions. I bet that after that, you will start to think about flying different kinds of gliders over there, like hotliners and aerobatic gliders.
                      Thanks Joe for your kind tips and directions to Sedili, glad to made it home with my plane in one piece.

Gliding could be addictive, Ministry of home affairs is not too pleased with all the boxes lying around. Today my 1.6m EPP fox have just arrived, have to give excuse that friend tom-pang to buy. It will be a mad rush to build and get it up in the air again at Sedili. I think I kanna poisoned already. Have 10 new gliders in the box.

1 One Easy glider on active duty, was prepared to sacrifice the other day to the windgod
                      2 Another spare Easyglider on Standby duty
                      3 Raptor forward swept wing almost ready to fly
                      4 Bat Flying wing almost ready to fly
                      5 Nano Falcon
                      6 1.6m Monton ( A Dud, it just won't slow down)
                      7 2m Spirit Elite waiting for servos
                      8 2.6m Top Model Manta
                      9 2.5m Mulitplex Cularis waiting for paint job
                      10 2.6m Art Hobby Serenity-M Sloper
                      11 2m FVK Mini-Graphite Carbon
                      12 1.6m FOX

Have a few more 3-4m ones on order list, I think I need an antidote soon as I think I kanna real deep this time, only after just few months of flying. I can't imagine going on for the next 10 years but hey, life is short, just enjoy the hobby. When you guys going up?I am planning another trip in a fortnight, perhaps the following weekend, hows your schedule like?

James aka Wally

Comment

It gonna be love in Sedili

Originally posted by lu wei yao

Thanx!
                        I think she ask about you too
                        When will you hang out in the trees again with her?

Comment

40 knots wind at Sedili

Here is the clip of wind condition on New year day with
                          40 knots wind, just moment before I launch my Glider, I thought
                          its now or never. James

Comment

wow...that is really windy man. Dun think I can handle my plane at such speed at all. let alone a glider. Wonderful...Really wonderfull. BTW..How to go to this place "sidilli". Any website to the hotel? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Wally
                              Thanks Joe for your kind tips and directions to Sedili, glad to made it home with my plane in one piece.

Gliding could be addictive, Ministry of home affairs is not too pleased with all the boxes lying around. Today my 1.6m EPP fox have just arrived, have to give excuse that friend tom-pang to buy. It will be a mad rush to build and get it up in the air again at Sedili. I think I kanna poisoned already. Have 10 new gliders in the box.

1 One Easy glider on active duty, was prepared to sacrifice the other day to the windgod
                              2 Another spare Easyglider on Standby duty
                              3 Raptor forward swept wing almost ready to fly
                              4 Bat Flying wing almost ready to fly
                              5 Nano Falcon
                              6 1.6m Monton ( A Dud, it just won't slow down)
                              7 2m Spirit Elite waiting for servos
                              8 2.6m Top Model Manta
                              9 2.5m Mulitplex Cularis waiting for paint job
                              10 2.6m Art Hobby Serenity-M Sloper
                              11 2m FVK Mini-Graphite Carbon
                              12 1.6m FOX

Have a few more 3-4m ones on order list, I think I need an antidote soon as I think I kanna real deep this time, only after just few months of flying. I can't imagine going on for the next 10 years but hey, life is short, just enjoy the hobby. When you guys going up?I am planning another trip in a fortnight, perhaps the following weekend, hows your schedule like?

James aka Wally
                              See what I mean? Man, you got really deep pockets.

BTW, we are heading there on the 20Jan. Do bring along an EPP glider for combat.
                              Last edited by joe yap; 04-01-2008, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X