Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential issue with align 400 out runner motor

Well not sure did anybody already discover this but just like to share for what I have found out about the align out runner which is commonly use in Trex

Today was give a problematic align motor by nic for my loan Trex. If I can fix it then I may able to use it for the Trex. The problem is extreme high current by the motor. So with some knowledge of DIY Cdrom mod I start worked on the faulty motor. Following is some of the design problem.

1) The lead or power wire from the motor in fact is not wire or cable....is the extension of the motor coil wire. That is why so stiff. If you happen to break one of the coil wire inside (total 6 per wire) then the out runner will have problem. Lost of efficiency and magnetic field balance issue.

2) The rotor (rotating magnets) is supported by the base bearing and the top of the outer can. This is really a bad design. As without the outer can, the rotor become super unbalance under the strong magnetic force of the rotor on the stator. So if you found your outer can slip or loose due to some crash. It is strongly advisable to do a good check on the "cap" and "can" alignment. Other wise the rotor with the magnet will run out of alignment. Alignment for the can and base plate is critical !

3) The mounting hole allow the screw run all the way onto the rotor. If the screw is too long it may touch the rotor. That is what happen to nic's motor. A deep cut was form on the top surface of the rotor .If unknown then this will cause high load on motor and battery.

Put lots of greas at the shaft if you happen to have a loose can....it need it !

Hope this helps for those who may face issue with the align 400 out runner

Pic 1 shows the stator with the "wire" being replaced. The original was found with broken internal wires.

Pic 2 is the "out runner" rotor with magnet.

Pic 3 is the rotor with stator , the rotor miss align under the magnetic force when the output shaft is not supported.

Pic 4 the "can" of the motor showing the supporting bearing for the rotor output shaft.

Pic 5 shows the "deep cut" on the top surface of the rotor. Hope you all can see it. my camera sux

Thanks

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
    Robotis Bioloid
    Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

Yeah... thanks for sharing

Mike

Comment

Hi Loyn

Thanks for sharing it. I too wanted to rewired my damage Align 400L 2500kv BUT then I encounter 2 problems:
        1 - Cap is too glued properly that I can't take it out.
        2 - Magnet already weaken by overheating (From burn out that came off smoke). Meanning I have to replace magnet also.

So for your #1 finding.... I can say that all motor (In runner and out runner) that I have IS like that. I think only lehner motor is not because it uses PCB board instead.

For your #2, I guess that is why some encounter motor case pop off (Genexis and Nic are the two who experiencing it locally) but some do not and still have a good motor. I think that is probably due to manufacturing standard.

For your #3.... Well, I can say all motor are like that. That is why some motor do come with screw for u. U use too long either u block the motor movement or cutting the wire instead.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Working...
        X