Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Tx to buy?

Hi all,
    I am new and would like to start this hobby but dont know which Tx to buy. I am super duper new and cant really make out which of the Tx is recommended. Can 1 Tx be used for different heli/plane? Theres so many things to learn that i get confused on which are the basic that a beginner should get.

Is there anywhere I can find explanation of the terminology for beginners like me?

Please advice, anyone.

Thank you:smile3:

Originally posted by fantome07 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am new and would like to start this hobby but dont know which Tx to buy. I am super duper new and cant really make out which of the Tx is recommended. Can 1 Tx be used for different heli/plane? Theres so many things to learn that i get confused on which are the basic that a beginner should get.

Is there anywhere I can find explanation of the terminology for beginners like me?

Please advice, anyone.

Thank you:smile3:
    To answer your question, yes, generally you can use just one TX for several models either heli or plane or whatever, but you'll need one RX for each. Bear in mind that each TX will have a limit to the number of models that can be stored though.

It very much depends on your budget, and whether you will be committed to this hobby long-term or just trying out.

A 4-channel TX is enough for basic airplane, but you'll need 6 channels for a heli, and once you go for flybarless helis... as I found out recently, it's nice to have even more channels for remote gain adjustments. That makes 8 or 9 channels

A 6-channel TX is good enough for starting out, and I personally like the Spektrum because of compatibility with inexpensive "Orange" RXs. Good for beginners just starting out and won't burn a hole in your wallet.

If you're sure of staying long-term, might as well splash out on a 8 or 9 channel TX that can last you a long time. Hitec Aurora 9, IMHO, seems value for money for 9 channels and the number of features available. Also, their RXs are not too expensive.

A good start... surf over the the Marketplace for some good deals. Unless you insist on buying and owning new stuff. My own experience, I've not bought a brand new TX yet till today
    ------------------------------
    Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
    NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Originally posted by foxkilo View Post
      To answer your question, yes, generally you can use just one TX for several models either heli or plane or whatever, but you'll need one RX for each. Bear in mind that each TX will have a limit to the number of models that can be stored though.

It very much depends on your budget, and whether you will be committed to this hobby long-term or just trying out.

A 4-channel TX is enough for basic airplane, but you'll need 6 channels for a heli, and once you go for flybarless helis... as I found out recently, it's nice to have even more channels for remote gain adjustments. That makes 8 or 9 channels

A 6-channel TX is good enough for starting out, and I personally like the Spektrum because of compatibility with inexpensive "Orange" RXs. Good for beginners just starting out and won't burn a hole in your wallet.

If you're sure of staying long-term, might as well splash out on a 8 or 9 channel TX that can last you a long time. Hitec Aurora 9, IMHO, seems value for money for 9 channels and the number of features available. Also, their RXs are not too expensive.

A good start... surf over the the Marketplace for some good deals. Unless you insist on buying and owning new stuff. My own experience, I've not bought a brand new TX yet till today
      Thanks fox kilo. Sorry but wats flybarless.

When u say 'each TX will have a limit to the number of models that can be stored' means that the profile of the heli/plane will be stored in the Tx?

Does all Tx that u state above have Rx that are easy to find in local stores?

I don't mind pre-loved stuffs as long as it works fine, and for a beginner, even if I spoil those stuffs, won't have heart pain.

Comment

and one more thing, which is the more popular mode for Tx, Mode 1 or Mode 2?

Comment

Thanks fox kilo. Sorry but wats flybarless.

When u say 'each TX will have a limit to the number of models that can be stored' means that the profile of the heli/plane will be stored in the Tx?

Does all Tx that u state above have Rx that are easy to find in local stores?

I don't mind pre-loved stuffs as long as it works fine, and for a beginner, even if I spoil those stuffs, won't have heart pain.
          Yes, so some TX can store up to 10 or 20 or more profiles / models. But it's usually more than enough!

Yes again, those are established brands that are stocked and supported. Either local stores or online.

As for TX modes... it's very much personal preference and some people can have strong opinions Do a search on these forums and read up.

Locally, Mode 1 seems more popular, and is widespread in Europe, and Asia. Mode 2 is the standard in the USA. There are also Mode 3 and 4, just so you know... it's all personal preference.

Do bear in mind though, that it's helpful if you choose a Mode that is used by many other local users. Then it's easier for someone to help or guide you - on the same mode. FYI, I'm on Mode 2, and had to learn 'solo' all the way... most people are on Mode 1 and could not take over my TX!
          Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.

Comment

Just in case you are looking for systems with cheap aftermarket receivers, FrSky makes very good futaba fasst compatible receivers..

I've almost exclusively been using frsky fasst compatible receivers since I got back into this hobby and with zero complains
            Airplanes fly while helicopters beat the air into submission - Hugh Downs

[U]Hangar:[/U]
            Logo 500

[U]Held in loving memory:[/U]
            MSH Mini Protos - Sold because I don't want to have anything to do with St Passion!
            HK500GT with Align 4-Bladed Rotor Head
            TREX 600EFL Pro

[B]WTS: Mikado Logo 500SE[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by foxkilo View Post
              Yes, so some TX can store up to 10 or 20 or more profiles / models. But it's usually more than enough!

Yes again, those are established brands that are stocked and supported. Either local stores or online.

As for TX modes... it's very much personal preference and some people can have strong opinions Do a search on these forums and read up.

Locally, Mode 1 seems more popular, and is widespread in Europe, and Asia. Mode 2 is the standard in the USA. There are also Mode 3 and 4, just so you know... it's all personal preference.

Do bear in mind though, that it's helpful if you choose a Mode that is used by many other local users. Then it's easier for someone to help or guide you - on the same mode. FYI, I'm on Mode 2, and had to learn 'solo' all the way... most people are on Mode 1 and could not take over my TX!
              Thanks foxkilo. Thats wat I thought so but i heard also that mode 2 is easier to pick up, and more ppl using mode 2 right?. I was using mode 1 on my very old realflight G3 and until now i cant even hover the heli. either its not natural for me or i'm a super slow learner. lol! is spektrum dx6i compatible with variety of Rx or have cheaper Rx?

Comment

Originally posted by seraph View Post
                Just in case you are looking for systems with cheap aftermarket receivers, FrSky makes very good futaba fasst compatible receivers..

I've almost exclusively been using frsky fasst compatible receivers since I got back into this hobby and with zero complains
                how to know which Tx is compatible with certain Rx? May i know wat Tx are u using?

Comment

how to know which Tx is compatible with certain Rx? May i know wat Tx are u using?
                  I'm mostly using the Spektrum DX7 DSM2, 7-channel... old TX that's not sold anymore but still works well, paired with original Spektrum RXs, and "Orange" DSM2 RXs.

If you're talking about 2.4GHz radio systems, generally the TX and RX are compatible if they share the same system/brand (except, maybe, Futaba which has FASST and S-FHSS - two different systems not compatible with each other although same brand!)

Just an example, Spektrum uses the DSM2/DSMx 2.4GHz system, while Hitec has its own brand of 2.4GHz. These would generally be incompatible with each other. But the shop where you bought the TX would be able to advise you accordingly and in more detail.

Some TXs support plug-in modules which expands your choice of 2.4GHz systems to include those 3rd party ones like FrSky, Corona, etc. So you have even more mind-boggling choices.

Anyway, don't fret too much and just get one system within your comfortable budget first and work from there. As mentioned earlier, you can't go very far wrong with established brand/system, and adequate support from seller.

Comment

there are 2 major systems in town

spektrum

and futaba;

profile:

spektrum - beginner to int level pilots. most commonly used is dx6i (a 6 channel radio). cheap(er) compatible receivers as compared to FASST anyway. good enough for all your basic needs. good budget too. quite cheap.

by the way, spektrum compatible receivers like our fav hobbking oranges use dsm2 transmission which is not as reliable as the fasst one. so, occasionally you do see spektrum planes go down, some being very large and very expensive....but this is quite rare, of course =)

fasst - observation is mostly int level to 'expert' pilots. typically is 9 channel. original futaba receivers are expensive but frsky released a compatible receiver. however, fasst apparently is 'bulletproof' reception, so really, it's up to you

why don't you check out the fine links on the side of the main page to take a look at the shops and what they are selling?
                    "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by seraph View Post

Thanks seraph, but as mentioned by sunstorm, fasst is more for int-adv pilots. This will be appropriate for me when I've reached that level.

Comment

Thanks a lot fox kilo and sunstorm for the explanation. So in summary, when buying a Rx, a dsm2/dsmx system will be compatible with any Tx of the same system?

Also, can I use a 9ch Rx with a 6ch Tx? I know that 3channels will be unused but will the other 6 ch on the Rx works? Why I'm asking this is, for example if I have a 9 ch Rx and use it on a 5ch plane/heli, using a 6ch Tx, will it still work?

Comment

what seraph actually mean here is that the playing field is more or less levelled with frsky cheaper receivers

it used to be futaba was more held by int-adv pilots (because of the starting cost) but now the playing field is more or less levelled by 3rd party, I would say it's because spektrum (in my opinion) makes it easier for newbies to start with... and the cheap and cheery oranges from hk are reliable enough so that people are buying them in multiples of 5 at least...I had a grateful beginner just give me one for teaching him how to fly and for 'rescuing his plane' ....so go figure....they must really be cheap

however no matter what you say, fasst systems will beat dsm2 in terms of reliability, that's what 2.4 band these oranges are running. however against dsmx, the truth is still out there = ) I suppose they are roughly equal now....?

Also, can I use a 9ch Rx with a 6ch Tx? I know that 3channels will be unused but will the other 6 ch on the Rx works? Why I'm asking this is, for example if I have a 9 ch Rx and use it on a 5ch plane/heli, using a 6ch Tx, will it still work?
                          not sure. haven't tried before = )

so, it's really up to you what you want. by the way, a 6 ch radio does have a decent resale value, last I checked
                          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Never try 9ch Rx with 6ch Tx.
                            I am using Spektrum 9ch Rx with 8ch Tx. No problem.
                            Everyone has to start this hobby as newbie.

Comment

Thanks seraph, but as mentioned by sunstorm, fasst is more for int-adv pilots. This will be appropriate for me when I've reached that level.
                              hello fantome

i can imagine how perplexed you are with all these "jargon" since you are just starting out on this. don't worry, we're all here to help and learn from each other. =)

threading carefully so we don't go into a futaba vs spektrum debate (or some call it an argument), i have the following points to make:

on fasst being for int-adv pilots
                              • sunstorm has clarified my post and his point quite nicely actually - before aftermarket (aka compatible) futaba fasst receivers were available in the market, it was a lot more expensive to be using futaba fasst systems compared to spektrum systems and thus spektrum was more popular amongst those new to the hobby.
                              • that gave rise to the notion that fasst was more held by int-adv pilots which is not as true now with the availability of aftermarket fasst receivers - which as sunstorm pointed out, has leveled the total cost of adoption for either spektrum or futaba fasst

on futaba being a bulletproof system
                              • it has been referred to as a bulletproof system given the years or reliability that futaba has offered its customers, however, that doesn't mean it will never fail - it just means that it has a good track record and for this, they charge a premium
                              • after all, futaba has been around much much longer than spektrum and every new system will take time to sort out their issues so even if there are some reliability issues with any system, it might not be fair to compare a tried and tested system with a new one - law of averaging =)
                              • a lot of factors will affect the transmission between any transmitter and receiver combo and it is usually difficult to fully isolate the problem

what do you mean by system
                              • i use the word system loosely to describe the language in which the tx and rx speak to each other
                              • both tx and rx need to be "speaking" the same language to be working together
                              • encoded into this language are factors like anti-redundancy, anti jamming, "refresh rate", etc (not sure if thats the correct technical terms for them, but you get the drift yah?)

types of systems in the market and their manufacturers
                              • i'm not very familiar with systems outside futaba so i can't go in-depth
                              • but what i do know is that for spektrum and some JR transmitters, there is DSM, DSM2 and DSMX - but which tx is on which system i leave it to those knowledgable on this subject to give you the correct information
                              • i also know that JR has a line of DMSS systems which are proprietory to JR (XG series if i'm not wrong)

futaba systems and price points
                              • futaba currently has got 3 types of 2.4ghz systems - FHSS, FASST and FaSSTEST
                              • they are all different systems and the only tx thats able to switch between all 3 is the top-of-the-line Futaba 18MZ
                              • i'm not going to go into how they are different but on price points, FHSS is the cheapest of the futaba lot as far as tx or rx goes - with FHSS receivers priced at about half that of equivalent FASST receivers
                              • if you'd like to find out more, do visit the futaba website to give you a much clearer picture of how they are different - but i warn you first, it can be quite technical

what i'm using and why
                              • i'm using a futaba fasst system and thats purely because i started out with a futaba
                              • i got into rc in 1996 when i was back in school with the youth flying club aeromodelling courses and my instructors taught me with a futaba so i eventually got a futaba
                              • at that time, everything was on FM transmission so fasst and other 2.4ghz systems didn't exist
                              • as far as brands went at that time, i only remember people using either futaba or JR (and JR was the much cooler tx with LCD screens and all)
                              • i've been on futaba ever since and never looked back - call it brand loyalty if you'd like but i generally only trust futaba

summary - so what does all this mean to me as a newbie
                              • all systems have their merits and disadvantages (aka value propositions)
                              • as foxkilo rightfully pointed out, find a generally established brand/system you are comfortable paying for and go with it
                              • to add to that, i'd advise you to go with the same system that most people at your flying field is using. this will help you a lot when it comes to setting up your tx and plane/heli - if you don't know them yet, go look them up, introduce yourself and try find yourself a mentor
                              • personally, i'd approve of systems which are run on spektrum, jr and futaba

so there, my 2 cents of personal opinions. if you want more, do let me know and i'll share more about what i know.. =)
                              Airplanes fly while helicopters beat the air into submission - Hugh Downs

[U]Hangar:[/U]
                              Logo 500

[U]Held in loving memory:[/U]
                              MSH Mini Protos - Sold because I don't want to have anything to do with St Passion!
                              HK500GT with Align 4-Bladed Rotor Head
                              TREX 600EFL Pro

[B]WTS: Mikado Logo 500SE[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X