Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESC advice???

What's the minimum Amp for a ESC to be used on, if i'm using a 4000KV motor for my 450 heli???
    Please advise?

you'll need to know how many amps your motor will draw.. e.g. if it draws about 20A continuous then a 30A continuous ESC would be quite safe.. i usually give a 10A buffer and so far no mishaps.. 4000KV only tells you that the motor will turn at 4000 rpm per volt you supply to it.. not the current.. look at the manufacturers specs for the motor it will usually state the amp draw for that motor.. hope this helps..

Comment

I'm using a Turnigy E500 that draws 1.9 A(idle current).
      They recommended 20A ESC for it.

But i'm using a 30A, and it's burning hot after hovering,nothing more.

Comment

Actually people on the forums states that the E500 is understated, its is a freaking powerful motor.I run it with my 40A ESC with external BEC, the motor and ESC gets hot after 5mins flight. But so far no problems, no in-flight break down caused by these 2 items.

BTW, my 40A ESC is a antique, so it may or may not hold up.

I would recommend you to drop to 10T if you are using for heli. Dont even use the 13T that comes with it. At most i would recommend 11T pinion, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by zxyong View Post
          Actually people on the forums states that the E500 is understated, its is a freaking powerful motor.I run it with my 40A ESC with external BEC, the motor and ESC gets hot after 5mins flight. But so far no problems, no in-flight break down caused by these 2 items.

BTW, my 40A ESC is a antique, so it may or may not hold up.

I would recommend you to drop to 10T if you are using for heli. Dont even use the 13T that comes with it. At most i would recommend 11T pinion, nothing more.
          Bro,do you think it will be even more hotter, if you drop to a smaller pinion,by increasing the rotor head speed?

Comment

Originally posted by superb View Post
            Bro,do you think it will be even more hotter, if you drop to a smaller pinion,by increasing the rotor head speed?
            Erm, i dont understand your question. By having a lesser teeth pinion, you get more torque from the motor in which your motor will not bog down so easily. Headspeed wise, for 450 size heli, keep it around 3000rpm.

Motor will get hot, definitely. Im not expert in this so i cant comment much.

But for ESC wise, if you lower your throttle curve percentage, it will get hotter. Rule of thumb is to keep you throttle at above 85% when you get off the ground. This is a fundamental problem with PWM systems.

Comment

Working...
            X