Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spektrum DX6i Modification

Dear all,

If you had been using DX6i transmitter, you might had noticed one inconvenience while flying.

Here is my situation. If that applies to you, you might want to give it a try to modify it for own convenience ( and safety ).

I am on mode 2. Rudder on left while Aileron and Elevator is on the right.

However, the set comes with its Elevator D/R switches on the left, which doesn't seems too "common sense" with a mode 2 user.

The Rudder and Elevator switch should be swapped so that the Rudder D/R switch is on the same side as the Rudder stick while the Elevator D/R switch goes to the same side of the Elevator stick, which is on the right side.

1. Remove all batteries and 6 screws from the rear cover. ( Batteries MUST be remove ! For safety or risk shorting out electronics when you access the insides )

2. Separate the halves. Careful that there are thin wires linking between the front to the rear halves.

3. Locate the two D/R switches and loosen them. There are washes, so be careful not to lost them while removing the switches.

4. Exchange their switches position by swapping their location. The wires are long enough for you to route across each other. You need not unplug any wires while doing this.

5. Secure back the switches the way you removed them. Make sure which way was the right side up. It would make sense to flip all the D/R switches either to 1 or 0, so that when you re-install them you know which direction the switches faces.

6. Secure all screws and reinsert batteries and you are ready to go.

But there is one catch here.. If you had read so far here, you will need to do one last thing.

You need to get some nice small font stickers ( get from bookshops, Popular etc ) and re-label the Rudder and Elevator.

I did not buy these font stickers. Here is what I did...

Grab some old magazines and search for glossy pages with relatively suitable fonts. I cut out a "A", "E" and "R" to label my Aileron, Elevator and Rudder respectively. Stick it onto the transmitter with doubleside tapes.

The gloss makes the transmitter looks prettier ( wouldn't say sexy, because it has sticks and antenna ). But at least it will be more handsome, without the Handsome Suit.

Now when you fly, you know that the D/R switch is on the SAME side as your sticks direction.

Warning : But please remember, learn the new location before flying.
    Don't flick the "wrong" switch thinking it is still the old position.

Comments and other modification welcome.
    I'm Remotely Controlled ...

To add...

The "A", "R" and "E" fonts from magazine should be selected large enough so that you can take see them from arms-length. The original Spektrum labels are rather small. Not a big issue though.

Also, this modification is perform due to one limitation to the DX6i - non-assignable switches. Of course, to get something assignable would be higher cost. But this modification is free. Think - how many times do you need to re-assign a switch ? It is probably a time time event during initial setup of your transmitter. So why not spend less and do more, all for the same purpose.

Comment

Newbie here, what is the Elevator and Rudder D/R switch for? when do I use this switch?

Comment

D/R can be used on Aileron, Elevator and Rudder.

Usually D/R is either ON or OFF, user selectable during flight.

Dual rate reduces the throw for the plane. You make 2 settings, "1" can be 100% throw while "0" can be 50%.

During landing, you can flick the switch to "0" and go for landing to prevent the plane from making big movements.

Besides, D/R also reduce the chance of getting out of control if you accidentally turned your plane too much especially during maiden, fast responsive planes.

Lastly, 3D flyers uses D/R to change flying styles between fast reaction and slow gentle reaction on the plane..

It is somewhat like an assistant to your finger.. reduce or increase the responsiveness to the stick..

Comment

Yet another tips on the DX6i and perhaps several other models too.

If you have the AR6200 receiver or similar type, you often get frustrated and worried that one day your thin antenna will get clipped, cut, crooked or damaged buy manhandling, working on the plane, crashes etc.

Here is one quick and effective method of protecting your antenna.

Grab some 6mm silicone tubing from any RC shop while you are there. These tubings are meant for Nitro cars and planes. You can also get some coloured ones if you like.

Cut about an inch and then insert them to the antenna. The plastic butt on the receiver is about 4 mm. This fits snuggly over the inner diameter of the 6 mm silicon tubing.

A length of tubing can probably make for a garage full of receiver.

The unused tubings, you can drink soda with it.

Comment

Working...
          X